Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: wines with a runaway hound (SB, SuperT, PN, Godello)

Last night we headed to some friends for dinner. We took along the
Basset Hound, to play with her friend the Springer Spaniel. We tried
her off leash, she promptly took off at a run and went 30 yards
through neighbor's yard into kitchen, where she ate catfood. Luckily,
nice people thought it was hilarious. We dragged her back to proper
yard, had a vegetarian dinner (Asian stirfry, kale, asparagus, rice,
and Caprese salad prepared by Jim's son. A nice group sat out on
another gorgeous night and had a great evening with some nice
(moderately priced) wines:

2006 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon #2 (Touraine)
Light grass, gooseberry and lime, a little lemon zest. Good acidity,
nicely balanced. B/B+

2005 I Greppi "Greppicante" Bolgheri
Decent modern mini-SuperTuscan, fleshy, ripe, some oak, a bit
anonymous. B-/B

2006 Foris Pinot Noir (Rogue Valley)
Light, fresh, cherry soda and a little strawberry. Light tannins,
medium acidity, touch of oak, not bad. Betsy is always glad to try a
Foris as I think winemaker is distant cousin of her dad or something.
B-

2006 Louro Do Bolo (Rafeal Palacios) Godello (Valdeorras)
Stone fruits and citrus, orange zest, minerals, nutty edge, nice
acidity and concentration. B+

OK, so an assortment of Bs, no great wines, but great people and great
evening.

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2008-08-23 14:51:21 -0700, DaleW > said:

> 2006 Foris Pinot Noir (Rogue Valley)
> Light, fresh, cherry soda and a little strawberry. Light tannins,
> medium acidity, touch of oak, not bad. Betsy is always glad to try a
> Foris as I think winemaker is distant cousin of her dad or something.
> B-

I've found Foris particularly useful - I used it as the red for a
daughter's wedding for instance - enough structure to be considered
wine, but nothing someone new to dry reds would object to...

Jim

Posted to alt.food.wine

Until a few months ago I was the winemaker at Foris. Am I the distant
relation? I'm a Harriman and/or a Baber. You have me curious!

DaleW a écrit :
> Last night we headed to some friends for dinner. We took along the
> Basset Hound, to play with her friend the Springer Spaniel. We tried
> her off leash, she promptly took off at a run and went 30 yards
> through neighbor's yard into kitchen, where she ate catfood. Luckily,
> nice people thought it was hilarious. We dragged her back to proper
> yard, had a vegetarian dinner (Asian stirfry, kale, asparagus, rice,
> and Caprese salad prepared by Jim's son. A nice group sat out on
> another gorgeous night and had a great evening with some nice
> (moderately priced) wines:
>
> 2006 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon #2 (Touraine)
> Light grass, gooseberry and lime, a little lemon zest. Good acidity,
> nicely balanced. B/B+
>
> 2005 I Greppi "Greppicante" Bolgheri
> Decent modern mini-SuperTuscan, fleshy, ripe, some oak, a bit
> anonymous. B-/B
>
> 2006 Foris Pinot Noir (Rogue Valley)
> Light, fresh, cherry soda and a little strawberry. Light tannins,
> medium acidity, touch of oak, not bad. Betsy is always glad to try a
> Foris as I think winemaker is distant cousin of her dad or something.
> B-
>
> 2006 Louro Do Bolo (Rafeal Palacios) Godello (Valdeorras)
> Stone fruits and citrus, orange zest, minerals, nutty edge, nice
> acidity and concentration. B+
>
> OK, so an assortment of Bs, no great wines, but great people and great
> evening.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> �

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 28, 6:13�pm, wrote:
> Until a few months ago I was the winemaker at Foris. Am I the distant
> relation? I'm a Harriman and/or a Baber. You have me curious!
>
> DaleW a �crit :
>

> > Last night we headed to some friends for dinner. We took along the
> > Basset Hound, to play with her friend the Springer Spaniel. We tried
> > her off leash, she promptly took off at a run and went 30 yards
> > through neighbor's yard into kitchen, where she ate catfood. Luckily,
> > nice people thought it was hilarious. We dragged her back to proper
> > yard, had a vegetarian dinner (Asian stirfry, kale, asparagus, rice,
> > and Caprese salad prepared by Jim's son. A nice group sat out on
> > another gorgeous night and had a great evening with some nice
> > (moderately priced) �wines:

> > 2006 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon #2 (Touraine)
> > Light grass, gooseberry and lime, a little lemon zest. Good acidity,
> > nicely balanced. B/B+

> > 2005 I Greppi "Greppicante" Bolgheri
> > Decent modern mini-SuperTuscan, fleshy, ripe, some oak, �a bit
> > anonymous. B-/B

> > 2006 Foris Pinot Noir (Rogue Valley)
> > Light, fresh, cherry soda and a little strawberry. Light tannins,
> > medium acidity, touch of oak, not bad. Betsy is always glad to try a
> > Foris as I think winemaker is distant cousin of �her dad or something.
> > B-

> > 2006 Louro Do Bolo (Rafeal Palacios) Godello (Valdeorras)
> > Stone fruits and citrus, orange zest, minerals, nutty edge, �nice
> > acidity and concentration. B+

> > OK, so an assortment of Bs, no great wines, but great people and great
> > evening.

> > �Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I'll ask my father in law who it is (Betsy just knows some relation),
non-wine people probably call everyone "winemaker." He's an Anderson,
but not sure whether a maternal or paternal connection. Will revert!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 28, 6:13�pm, wrote:
> Until a few months ago I was the winemaker at Foris. Am I the distant
> relation? I'm a Harriman and/or a Baber. You have me curious!
>
> DaleW a �crit :
>

> > Last night we headed to some friends for dinner. We took along the
> > Basset Hound, to play with her friend the Springer Spaniel. We tried
> > her off leash, she promptly took off at a run and went 30 yards
> > through neighbor's yard into kitchen, where she ate catfood. Luckily,
> > nice people thought it was hilarious. We dragged her back to proper
> > yard, had a vegetarian dinner (Asian stirfry, kale, asparagus, rice,
> > and Caprese salad prepared by Jim's son. A nice group sat out on
> > another gorgeous night and had a great evening with some nice
> > (moderately priced) �wines:

> > 2006 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon #2 (Touraine)
> > Light grass, gooseberry and lime, a little lemon zest. Good acidity,
> > nicely balanced. B/B+

> > 2005 I Greppi "Greppicante" Bolgheri
> > Decent modern mini-SuperTuscan, fleshy, ripe, some oak, �a bit
> > anonymous. B-/B

> > 2006 Foris Pinot Noir (Rogue Valley)
> > Light, fresh, cherry soda and a little strawberry. Light tannins,
> > medium acidity, touch of oak, not bad. Betsy is always glad to try a
> > Foris as I think winemaker is distant cousin of �her dad or something.
> > B-

> > 2006 Louro Do Bolo (Rafeal Palacios) Godello (Valdeorras)
> > Stone fruits and citrus, orange zest, minerals, nutty edge, �nice
> > acidity and concentration. B+

> > OK, so an assortment of Bs, no great wines, but great people and great
> > evening.

> > �Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Sorry, apparently it's the owner, not the winemaker. My FiL Bob has a
"double first cousin" (had to look that up, want to hear that story)
named Don Gerber; it's his son Ted who owns Foris I guess. I'm not
capable of figuring out what that makes Betsy to the Foris guy (the
whole second/removed thing always confused me). I generally do like
the wines, though, thanks for your work!