Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Hamburgers with a garage wine

We made burgers tonight, along with leftover "baked" beans, broccolli,
and cabbage. Lettuce and good tomatoes, plus the 2001 Ch. La
Confession (St Emilion). Whoa, this is thick. Ripe/overripe fruit,
milk chocolate, vanilla. Creamy texture, quite milky, with blackberry
and blueberry preserves. Impressive in its own way, but this is one
garagiste that doesn't say "Bordeaux" at all. Not sorry my only one
(not sure why I bought, or why I bought 2004). Others will like much
better, for me C+/B-

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 18, 8:01 pm, DaleW > wrote:
> We made burgers tonight, along with leftover "baked" beans, broccolli,
> and cabbage. Lettuce and good tomatoes, plus the 2001 Ch. La
> Confession (St Emilion). Whoa, this is thick. Ripe/overripe fruit,
> milk chocolate, vanilla. Creamy texture, quite milky, with blackberry
> and blueberry preserves. Impressive in its own way, but this is one
> garagiste that doesn't say "Bordeaux" at all. Not sorry my only one
> (not sure why I bought, or why I bought 2004). Others will like much
> better, for me C+/B-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

'01 Confession is a great wine. I bought 3 cases for restaurant
recently and they are gone already! I got a 6-pack of '05 but want to
wait a while. Great producer. Another great bargain garagiste wine is
BAD BOY 2005 from Jean-Luc Thunevin. The label actually makes fun of
the garage theme and his black sheep nature in Bordeaux. Jean-Luc is a
friend and has a cool blog on his website (Estates Thunevin).
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 19, 11:10�pm, Mark Slater > wrote:
> On Aug 18, 8:01 pm, DaleW > wrote:
>
> > We made burgers tonight, along with leftover "baked" beans, broccolli,
> > and cabbage. Lettuce and good tomatoes, plus the 2001 Ch. La
> > Confession (St Emilion). Whoa, this is thick. Ripe/overripe fruit,
> > milk chocolate, vanilla. Creamy texture, quite milky, with blackberry
> > and blueberry preserves. Impressive in its own way, but this is one
> > garagiste that doesn't say "Bordeaux" at all. Not sorry my only one
> > (not sure why I bought, or why I bought 2004). Others will like much
> > better, for me C+/B-

> > �Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> '01 Confession is a great wine. I bought 3 cases for restaurant
> recently and they are gone already! I got a 6-pack of '05 but want to
> wait a while. Great producer. Another great bargain garagiste wine is
> BAD BOY 2005 from Jean-Luc Thunevin. The label actually makes fun of
> the garage theme and his black sheep nature in Bordeaux. Jean-Luc is a
> friend and has a cool blog on his website (Estates Thunevin).

As I said, others will like much more! I have good vinuous friends I
know would adore this. Might I ask what dishes you've suggested this
with? I'd assume bigger meat dishes.

Hey, while I am asking you for professional pairing advice, my wife
has made Michel Richard's lobster burgers with ginger aioli a couple
times. I've gone with drier Riesling, with pretty good results. What
do you suggest?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 20, 9:12 am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Aug 19, 11:10 pm, Mark Slater > wrote:
>

> > On Aug 18, 8:01 pm, DaleW > wrote:

> > > We made burgers tonight, along with leftover "baked" beans, broccolli,
> > > and cabbage. Lettuce and good tomatoes, plus the 2001 Ch. La
> > > Confession (St Emilion). Whoa, this is thick. Ripe/overripe fruit,
> > > milk chocolate, vanilla. Creamy texture, quite milky, with blackberry
> > > and blueberry preserves. Impressive in its own way, but this is one
> > > garagiste that doesn't say "Bordeaux" at all. Not sorry my only one
> > > (not sure why I bought, or why I bought 2004). Others will like much
> > > better, for me C+/B-

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> > '01 Confession is a great wine. I bought 3 cases for restaurant
> > recently and they are gone already! I got a 6-pack of '05 but want to
> > wait a while. Great producer. Another great bargain garagiste wine is
> > BAD BOY 2005 from Jean-Luc Thunevin. The label actually makes fun of
> > the garage theme and his black sheep nature in Bordeaux. Jean-Luc is a
> > friend and has a cool blog on his website (Estates Thunevin).

> As I said, others will like much more! I have good vinuous friends I
> know would adore this. Might I ask what dishes you've suggested this
> with? I'd assume bigger meat dishes.
>
> Hey, while I am asking you for professional pairing advice, my wife
> has made Michel Richard's lobster burgers with ginger aioli a couple
> times. I've gone with drier Riesling, with pretty good results. What
> do you suggest?

You're right on the money. When asked, I always recommend an Alsace
Grand Cru Riesling. The BAD BOY is an almost Californian style merlot
and pairs well with beef and lamb.

I still love garage sales jt august[_2_] Cooking Equipment 6 24-01-2009 06:34 AM
garage refrigerator for keg googly Beer 1 26-06-2005 10:54 PM
Chateau Garage ? Davide D. Wine 17 28-02-2005 01:00 AM
Storing Red wine in the Garage in England ? bazfatania Wine 10 07-10-2004 10:18 AM
[TN] Four reds with the garage wine importers Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 0 13-04-2004 09:23 PM