Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '01 Torii Mor Pinot

Last night, a friend and neighbor gave Jean some of the excess from her
garden: a dozen Roma tomatoes and a few other types. Romas in our house
are used only for one thing: tomato sauce, so we decided to institute
TomatoFest 2008™ and made a tomato sauce and some fresh linguine to go
with it. With this feast, which also included insalata caprese, Jean
opened:

2001 Torii Mor Pinot Noir
color: pale garnet going orange at the rim
nose: smoky cherry fruit, a hint of minerals
palate: velvety smooth, soft but not flabby, smoke and fruit

This wine, purchased at the winery in Dec. '03, was certainly ready to
go, and a fine example of New World Pinot. Never overdone, it was silky
and inviting with enough fruit to please even a devoted New World Pinot
lover.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

> Last night, a friend and neighbor gave Jean some of the excess from her
> garden: a dozen Roma tomatoes and a few other types. Romas in our house
> are used only for one thing: tomato sauce, so we decided to institute
> TomatoFest 2008 and made a tomato sauce and some fresh linguine to go
> with it. With this feast, which also included insalata caprese, Jean
> opened:
>
> 2001 Torii Mor Pinot Noir
> color: pale garnet going orange at the rim
> nose: smoky cherry fruit, a hint of minerals
> palate: velvety smooth, soft but not flabby, smoke and fruit
>
> This wine, purchased at the winery in Dec. '03, was certainly ready to
> go, and a fine example of New World Pinot. Never overdone, it was silky
> and inviting with enough fruit to please even a devoted New World Pinot
> lover.
>
> Mark Lipton

Ah, love that winery and what a good spot at the peak of the road.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '01 Torii Mor Pinot

On Aug 17, 5:21*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Last night, a friend and neighbor gave Jean some of the excess from her
> garden: a dozen Roma tomatoes and a few other types. *Romas in our house
> are used only for one thing: tomato sauce, so we decided to institute
> TomatoFest 2008™ and made a tomato sauce and some fresh linguine to go
> with it. *With this feast, which also included insalata caprese, Jean
> opened:
>
> 2001 Torii Mor Pinot Noir
> color: pale garnet going orange at the rim
> nose: smoky cherry fruit, a hint of minerals
> palate: velvety smooth, soft but not flabby, smoke and fruit
>
> This wine, purchased at the winery in Dec. '03, was certainly ready to
> go, and a fine example of New World Pinot. *Never overdone, it was silky
> and inviting with enough fruit to please even a devoted New World Pinot
> lover.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I was guessing from name this was a NZ wine (sounded vaguely Maori-
ish), but its Willamette Valley.
Ah, tomatoes and August!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 17, 2:21*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
*Romas in our house
> are used only for one thing: tomato sauce,

Ahh - tomato and bocconcini salad with EVOO and balsamic......
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bill S. wrote:
> On Aug 17, 2:21 pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Romas in our house
>> are used only for one thing: tomato sauce,

> Ahh - tomato and bocconcini salad with EVOO and balsamic......

Well, that was (almost) our insalata caprese, but we use heirlooms for
that: black Krim (Crim?) and green zebras, primarily. I'm not thrilled
with the uncooked flavor of Romas, though I might have to travel to San
Marsano for a complete perpspective.

Mark Lipton
(Still recalling with delight the tomato tasting that Mike T took Nils,
Xina, Jean and me to)

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> I was guessing from name this was a NZ wine (sounded vaguely Maori-
> ish), but its Willamette Valley.
> Ah, tomatoes and August!

From the CT wiki:

"And now about the name: TORII MOR was chosen by the founder as he felt
it conjured a feeling of unique elegance. Borrowing from the Japanese,
the word “torii” refers to the ornate gates often seen at the entrances
to Japanese gardens. “Mor” is a word in ancient Scandinavian that means
“earth.” By integrating these two distinct languages, the romantic image
of a gate to the earth space or passageway to beautiful things is
formed. We believe that Pinot Noir, more than any other varietal, is
that beautiful gateway to the earth."

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
> ... “Mor” is a word in ancient Scandinavian that means
> “earth.”

I'd like to know where that comes from...?
Digging into it I've found that some Swedish dialects used that word for
"forested marshland", yes, "moor", of course. Normally that word would
either mean "mother" or "man from Morocco", yes, "moor" again!

But earth?

:-) Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Anders Tørneskog wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
>
>>... “Mor” is a word in ancient Scandinavian that means
>>“earth.”

> I'd like to know where that comes from...?
> Digging into it I've found that some Swedish dialects used that word for
> "forested marshland", yes, "moor", of course. Normally that word would
> either mean "mother" or "man from Morocco", yes, "moor" again!
>
> But earth?
>
> :-) Anders

And if you put a couple of mors together you have mormor = grandmother.
Dick R.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Anders Tørneskog wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
>
>>... “Mor” is a word in ancient Scandinavian that means
>>“earth.”

> I'd like to know where that comes from...?
> Digging into it I've found that some Swedish dialects used that word for
> "forested marshland", yes, "moor", of course. Normally that word would
> either mean "mother" or "man from Morocco", yes, "moor" again!
>
> But earth?
>
> :-) Anders

LOL!! It's tempting to lay this at the feet of the wiki author, but in
fact that is taken verbatim from the winery. Who knows what source they
looked at in concocting the name? Perhaps they just liked the sound,
and tried to rationalize their choice ex post facto.

Mark Lipton

Pinot Grigio will never be the same aesthete8 Wine 0 13-10-2010 07:12 PM
Bad Pinot Bi!! Wine 0 05-03-2009 05:52 PM
[TN] '06 ABC Pinot Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 15-02-2009 05:16 PM
TN: 2001 Torii Mor Seven Springs PN Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 10-09-2007 03:23 PM
TN NZ Pinot John Taverner Wine 7 16-03-2004 06:22 AM