Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: $5 Chianti and Bdx, plus '88 BV, '06 GV, & Albarino

Zachys *often takes hits for high prices. I'd agree that their
"regular" prices are high. The flipside is that they are great about
storage conditions, have impeccable provenance on older stuff, and
great customer service. So it's worth buying at their sale prices. And
periodically they have email loss leaders to good customers. Sometimes
they sell out in minutes, recently they had a $5/bottle sale on solid
cases of about 20 wines ($60/case for 750s, $120/case on a few 375s)-
I was too slow for '02 Roc de Cambes 750s and '03 G. Rosso Serralunga
Barolo 375s, but snagged a couple of cases of 750s, a Bdx and a
Chianti.

With skirt steak, grilled sweet potato, and , the 2005 Viticcio
Chianti Classico. Good dark cherry fruit, moderate acidity, light
tannins. But something musty this way comes, and I reluctantly
conclude this is corked. Unrated, but under the TCA seemed to be a
decent wine, so happy with my purchase.

Replacement was the other $5 buy, the 2005 Ch. de Beaumont (1er Cotes
de Blaye). Decent cassis fruit, light but rather stern tannins, not
especially long. Correct but fairly pedestrian Bdx, but a good value
at this price. B-

We had a little family party for David's 20th last night. Betsy's
sister came with Dave's cousins, plus his paternal grandparents.
Sister-in-law & kids pescevegetarian, Betsy made a seafood salad
(shrimp, mussels, squid, halibut), a chopped salad with olives and
avocado, garlicky broccoli, and lasagna with pesto. This called for
white, and we had the 2006 Pazo Pondal Albarino (Rias Baixas) Clean,
light, peach and melon fruit with a splash of citrus. The crisp
acidity made it a nice complement to the seafood salad, with the
lasagna I would have appreciated something a little beefier. Decent
food wine, not at all compelling, but serves its function. B-/B

Next up 2006 Graf Hardegg "vom Schloss" Gruner Veltliner . Fairly
hefty style of GV. Lemon, grapefruit and peach, minerally, maybe just
a hint of oak? Unfortunately I have finished my portion of the
lasagna, this would have been better. Some pepper and herbs with time,
we'll see how it does overnight, for now B/B+

David always likes tasting birthyear wines. 1988 wasn't very good CA
year, but I had one left, thought it should be drunk up, the 1988
Beaulieu Vineyards "George de Latour" Private Reserve Cabernet
Sauvignon. When first opened this seemed thin, hot and overly herby, I
contemplated heading down for an '88 Bdx but decided as food didn't
call for it just to wait. This sat about an hour before I tried again,
some improvement. Redder fruit, some plum and a little prune, tannins
still there and a bit drying on finish. The herbalness is still there,
though not as dominant. This is a bit past its prime, though I doubt
its prime was ever that sparkling. C+/B-

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 16, 2:55�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> With skirt steak, grilled sweet potato, and , the 2005 Viticcio
> Chianti Classico.

should read:
With skirt steak, grilled sweet potato, and chard , the

[TN] Enjoying da spoof (2010 Albariño) Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 23-05-2012 08:01 AM
TN: Albarino, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir DaleW Wine 1 02-08-2011 05:31 PM
Chianti Classico Tasting.. Great Chianti's and an AMAZING Vin Santo Wildetuinn Wine 0 15-09-2006 08:06 AM
TN: QbA and Albarino DaleW Wine 0 15-09-2005 08:06 PM
Albarino Rich R Wine 9 16-07-2004 01:12 AM