Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: My wine's too big for my salad (Rheingau)

Betsy made a so-called "Chinese chicken salad" (poached breast over
red cabbage and soba with a peanut butter/ginger/garlic sauce- not
authentic, but tasty). I went to cellar looking for a leaner MSR
kabinett, somehow came upstairs with the 2005 August Kesseler
Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg Spatlese (Rheingau). OK, I know - '05,
Rheingau, Spatlese - a formula for heavier style. But a review on
store site I looked up when I was given bottle (thanks John Dawson!)
had called it lean for vintage. Review was wrong. This is a big
Riesling. Spiced peaches, some apricot, lime. Acidity keeps it from
being overbearing, but plenty of sweetness here. There's a little
vanilla/white chocolate note for a second that makes me wonder could
this actually see oak, but it fades away quickly. A very tasty wine,
though too big for this dish. If I had more I'd let sleep 5+ years,
and then serve with truly spicy food.B+

A couple notes re identification. When I was given this, I looked on
CT. They didn't list this vintage of the regular RBS Spatlese, only
the Goldkap. Well, this has an off-gold capsule (a little orangey),
but I think it's the regular. I'd call it batch #7, as AP ends with
007 06 (I thought about just listing full AP and titling note "James
Bond Riesling", but figured Bueker was probably only one who pay
enough attention to get it).

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default My wine's too big for my salad (Rheingau)

"DaleW" > wrote in message
> Betsy made a so-called "Chinese chicken salad" (poached breast over
> red cabbage and soba with a peanut butter/ginger/garlic sauce- not
> authentic, but tasty). I went to cellar looking for a leaner MSR
> kabinett, somehow came upstairs with the 2005 August Kesseler
> Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg Spatlese (Rheingau). OK, I know - '05,
> Rheingau, Spatlese - a formula for heavier style. But a review on
> store site I looked up when I was given bottle (thanks John Dawson!)
> had called it lean for vintage. Review was wrong. This is a big
> Riesling. Spiced peaches, some apricot, lime. Acidity keeps it from
> being overbearing, but plenty of sweetness here. There's a little
> vanilla/white chocolate note for a second that makes me wonder could
> this actually see oak, but it fades away quickly. A very tasty wine,
> though too big for this dish. If I had more I'd let sleep 5+ years,
> and then serve with truly spicy food.B+
>
> A couple notes re identification. When I was given this, I looked on
> CT. They didn't list this vintage of the regular RBS Spatlese, only
> the Goldkap. Well, this has an off-gold capsule (a little orangey),
> but I think it's the regular. I'd call it batch #7, as AP ends with
> 007 06 (I thought about just listing full AP and titling note "James
> Bond Riesling", but figured Bueker was probably only one who pay
> enough attention to get it).
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

OK, I give.. what do "spiced peaches" taste like? Googled the term and
found recipes but nothing more. Googled "spiced peaches" + Riesling, and
not much more. Is "spiced peaches" a common descriptor of more full-bodied
Rieslings? And what fruit concoction could I taste that would give me an
idea of what "spiced peaches" taste like?

Thanks,

Evan

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 12, 11:45�am, "Evan Keel" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message

> > Betsy made a so-called "Chinese chicken salad" (poached breast over
> > red cabbage and soba with a peanut butter/ginger/garlic sauce- not
> > authentic, but tasty). I went to cellar looking for a leaner MSR
> > kabinett, somehow came upstairs with �the 2005 August �Kesseler
> > Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg Spatlese (Rheingau). OK, �I know - '05,
> > Rheingau, �Spatlese - a formula for heavier style. But a review on
> > store site I looked up when I was given bottle (thanks John Dawson!)
> > had called it lean for vintage. Review was wrong. This is a big
> > Riesling. Spiced peaches, some apricot, lime. Acidity keeps it from
> > being overbearing, but plenty of sweetness here. There's a little
> > vanilla/white chocolate note for a second that makes me wonder could
> > this actually see oak, but it fades away quickly. A very tasty wine,
> > though too big for this dish. If I had more I'd let sleep 5+ years,
> > and then serve with truly spicy food.B+

> > A couple notes re identification. When I was given this, I looked on
> > CT. They didn't list this vintage of the regular RBS Spatlese, only
> > the Goldkap. Well, this has an off-gold capsule (a little orangey),
> > but I think it's the regular. I'd call it batch #7, as AP ends with
> > 007 06 (I thought about just listing full AP and titling note "James
> > Bond Riesling", but figured Bueker was probably only one who pay
> > enough attention to get it).

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> OK, I give.. what do "spiced peaches" taste like? Googled the term �and
> found recipes �but nothing more. Googled "spiced peaches" + Riesling, and
> not much more. Is "spiced peaches" a common descriptor of more full-bodied
> Rieslings? And what fruit concoction could I taste that would �give me an
> idea of what "spiced peaches" taste like?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Evan- Hide quoted text -

I don't think it's a common Riesling descriptor, but it works for me.
I'd guess you'd have to have a Southern grandmother. My grandmothers
(maternal in Georgia, paternal in Alabama) both used to "put up" (can)
peaches. We'd often take back a couple cases of mason jars - fruits,
beans, chow chow, pickles. Plus sometimes a half a steer (my granddad
furnished animal, dad paid for butchering, split). It was a very
crowded station wagon.

A quick google found recipes, here's one:
http://www.pickyourown.org/peaches_spiced.htm
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
On Aug 12, 11:45?am, "Evan Keel" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message

> > Betsy made a so-called "Chinese chicken salad" (poached breast over
> > red cabbage and soba with a peanut butter/ginger/garlic sauce- not
> > authentic, but tasty). I went to cellar looking for a leaner MSR
> > kabinett, somehow came upstairs with ?the 2005 August ?Kesseler
> > Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg Spatlese (Rheingau). OK, ?I know - '05,
> > Rheingau, ?Spatlese - a formula for heavier style. But a review on
> > store site I looked up when I was given bottle (thanks John Dawson!)
> > had called it lean for vintage. Review was wrong. This is a big
> > Riesling. Spiced peaches, some apricot, lime. Acidity keeps it from
> > being overbearing, but plenty of sweetness here. There's a little
> > vanilla/white chocolate note for a second that makes me wonder could
> > this actually see oak, but it fades away quickly. A very tasty wine,
> > though too big for this dish. If I had more I'd let sleep 5+ years,
> > and then serve with truly spicy food.B+

> > A couple notes re identification. When I was given this, I looked on
> > CT. They didn't list this vintage of the regular RBS Spatlese, only
> > the Goldkap. Well, this has an off-gold capsule (a little orangey),
> > but I think it's the regular. I'd call it batch #7, as AP ends with
> > 007 06 (I thought about just listing full AP and titling note "James
> > Bond Riesling", but figured Bueker was probably only one who pay
> > enough attention to get it).

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> OK, I give.. what do "spiced peaches" taste like? Googled the term ?and
> found recipes ?but nothing more. Googled "spiced peaches" + Riesling, and
> not much more. Is "spiced peaches" a common descriptor of more full-bodied
> Rieslings? And what fruit concoction could I taste that would ?give me an
> idea of what "spiced peaches" taste like?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Evan- Hide quoted text -

>I don't think it's a common Riesling descriptor, but it works for me.
>I'd guess you'd have to have a Southern grandmother. My grandmothers
>(maternal in Georgia, paternal in Alabama) both used to "put up" (can)
>peaches. We'd often take back a couple cases of mason jars - fruits,
>beans, chow chow, pickles. Plus sometimes a half a steer (my granddad
>furnished animal, dad paid for butchering, split). It was a very
>crowded station wagon.

> A quick google found recipes, here's one:
>http://www.pickyourown.org/peaches_spiced.htm

Hey, thanks for the link. Pretty close to what I found. But from your link
sounds like cinnamon and cloves are the "spicy" components. I've tasted
cloves in Riesling before, but cinnamon? Well, I smoked for 40 years
(stopped 2 years ago) so maybe my palate is a bit atrophied.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 12, 12:15�pm, "Evan Keel" > wrote:
> [...]

> > Evan- Hide quoted text -

> >I don't think it's a common Riesling descriptor, but it works for me.
> >I'd guess you'd have to have a Southern grandmother. My grandmothers
> >(maternal in Georgia, paternal in Alabama) both used to "put up" (can)
> >peaches. We'd often take back a couple cases of mason jars - fruits,
> >beans, chow chow, pickles. Plus sometimes a half a steer (my granddad
> >furnished animal, dad paid for butchering, split). It was a very
> >crowded station wagon.
> > A quick google found recipes, here's one:
> >http://www.pickyourown.org/peaches_spiced.htm

> Hey, thanks for the link. Pretty close to what I found. But from your link
> sounds like cinnamon and cloves are the "spicy" components. I've tasted
> cloves in Riesling before, but cinnamon? Well, I smoked for 40 years
> (stopped 2 years ago) so maybe my palate is a bit atrophied.- Hide quoted text -

a few random thoughts
1) first of all, descriptors are just feeble attempts to frame one's
new experiences in older more familiar ones. I certainly don't expect
my takes to be mirrored by others (I'm more concerned if people
disagree on takes on acidity, tannins, etc than on whether one got
cassis or black plum fruit, or cinnamon or allspice). Anyway, my
disclaimer disclaims accuracy.
2).in this specific case, when I think of spiced peaches I don't think
of a separate taste for cinnamon, the whole is more than the sum of
parts. Of course, I don't actually know my grandmothers' recipes were
that close.
3) actually, a quick search here finds Walter P from TX (nice guy) has
a note for a 2002 Gunderloch Auslese citing cinnamon. So some people
do find it, even if it's not a classic descriptor. Actually I think if
someone only gets classic descriptors maybe they're writing notes in
their head before they taste.

cheers!

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > skrev i melding ...
> A couple notes re identification. When I was given this, I looked on
> CT. They didn't list this vintage of the regular RBS Spatlese, only
> the Goldkap. Well, this has an off-gold capsule (a little orangey),
> but I think it's the regular. I'd call it batch #7, as AP ends with
> 007 06 (I thought about just listing full AP and titling note "James
> Bond Riesling", but figured Bueker was probably only one who pay
> enough attention to get it).

Hi
The AP 2201600706 is the Goldkapsel Spätlese...
Wein-plus.de says (roughly translated): Fine Peach-Abricot bouquet with a filigree of herbs and spices. Lean, very sweet fruit, clear. again slight herbal notes, fine acidity, has got liveliness, minerals in background, not overwhelmingly deep, good end. 85pts (=excellent)
Anders
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 13, 5:01�am, Anders T�rneskog > wrote:
> "DaleW" > skrev i ...> A couple notes re identification.. When I was given this, I looked on
> > CT. They didn't list this vintage of the regular RBS Spatlese, only
> > the Goldkap. Well, this has an off-gold capsule (a little orangey),
> > but I think it's the regular. I'd call it batch #7, as AP ends with
> > 007 06 (I thought about just listing full AP and titling note "James
> > Bond Riesling", but figured Bueker was probably only one who pay
> > enough attention to get it).

> Hi
> The AP 2201600706 is the Goldkapsel Sp�tlese...
> Wein-plus.de says (roughly translated): �Fine Peach-Abricot bouquet with a filigree of herbs and spices. �Lean, very sweet fruit, clear. again slight herbal notes, fine acidity, has got liveliness, minerals in background, not overwhelmingly deep, good end. �85pts (=excellent)
> Anders

Anders,
thanks for info.
Obviously Wein-plus and Wine Spectator have a different idea of lean
than I do! I must drink too many Mosels!
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> Obviously Wein-plus and Wine Spectator have a different idea of lean
> than I do! I must drink too many Mosels!

A common problem, Dale. Yesterday, my secretary told me that I had a
"runner's physique" and I nearly burst a (too big) gut laughing. Only
in our society could I ever be considered thin ;-)

Mark lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Translating German

"DaleW" > skrev i melding
Obviously Wein-plus and Wine Spectator have a different idea of lean
than I do! I must drink too many Mosels!

I said it was a rough translation :-) Here is the German: Feiner
Pfirsich-Aprikosenduft mit zarter kräuterwürze. Schlanke, sehr süße Frucht,
glasklar, wieder zart kräuterige Anklänge, feine Säure, hat Spiel,
mineralische Noten im Hintergrund, animierende Art, nicht übermäßig tief,
guter Abgang.

Now "Schlank" means "slim" too, if you like that better! Maybe our Michael
Pronay could give a better descriptor...

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 13, 10:18�am, "Anders T�rneskog" >
wrote:
> "DaleW" > skrev i ...
> Obviously Wein-plus and Wine Spectator have a different idea of lean
> than I do! I must drink too many Mosels!
>
> I said it was a rough translation :-) �Here is the German: Feiner
> Pfirsich-Aprikosenduft mit zarter kr�uterw�rze. Schlanke, sehr s�e Frucht,
> glasklar, wieder zart kr�uterige Ankl�nge, feine S�ure, hat Spiel,
> mineralische Noten im Hintergrund, animierende Art, nicht �berm�ig tief,
> guter Abgang.
>
> Now "Schlank" means "slim" too, if you like that better! �Maybe our Michael
> Pronay could give a better descriptor...
>
> Anders

I'm guessing your translation is fine. Maybe this is lean/slim for a
2005 Rheingau, I just drink more MSR.

Well, more Mosel and Saar. It occurs to me I don't know of any Ruwer
producers?
I still think move to call all MSR wines Mosel is a disservice to the
great tradtion of the Saar.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Ruwer

"DaleW" > skrev i melding
..

> It occurs to me I don't know of any Ruwer

producers?

Sure you do - the foremost are
Maximin Grünhaus - 4*
Karthäuserhof - 4*
Karlsmühle - 4*
Erben von Beulwitz - 3*
and also
Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt - 3* - who has considerable holdings in other
parts of the Mosel too.

Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

> I said it was a rough translation :-) Here is the German:
> Feiner Pfirsich-Aprikosenduft mit zarter kräuterwürze. Schlanke,
> sehr süße Frucht, glasklar, wieder zart kräuterige Anklänge,
> feine Säure, hat Spiel, mineralische Noten im Hintergrund,
> animierende Art, nicht übermäßig tief, guter Abgang.
>
> Now "Schlank" means "slim" too, if you like that better! Maybe
> our Michael Pronay could give a better descriptor...

Caution. "Slim" or "lean" does not apply to the (stature of the)
wine itself, but to its fruit on palate. I'd read it as something
like a not very impressive fruit or fruit expression.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 13, 4:22�pm, "Anders T�rneskog" >
wrote:
> "DaleW" > skrev i ...
> .
>
> > It occurs to me I don't know of any Ruwer

> producers?
>
> Sure you do - the foremost are
> Maximin Gr�nhaus - 4*
> Karth�userhof �- 4*
> Karlsm�hle - 4*
> Erben von Beulwitz - 3*
> and also
> Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt - 3* - who has considerable holdings in other
> parts of the Mosel too.
>
> Anders

thanks. My German wine geography is weak, and I always thought
M.Grunhauser was in Mosel valley proper. I've only had a couple
Karthauserhofs and Karlsmuhle, and don't know Erben von Beulwitz. One
of these days I'll have to break down and buy Johnson's wine atlas,
but I always think "Hey, I could buy a pretty good bottle of wine
instead!"
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> DaleW wrote:
>
> > Obviously Wein-plus and Wine Spectator have a different idea of lean
> > than I do! I must drink too many Mosels!

> A common problem, Dale. Yesterday, my secretary told me that I had a
> "runner's physique" and I nearly burst a (too big) gut laughing. Only
> in our society could I ever be considered thin ;-)
>
> Mark lipton

Did you read the story that everyone in the US will be obese by 2048. I
hope I am because that would make me 101.

TN: Rheingau QbA and Morey St Denis DaleW Wine 0 28-04-2010 07:51 PM
TN: '07 Rheingau, '06 Burgundy DaleW Wine 1 23-02-2009 05:46 PM
I need to drink more Rheingau wines... Salil Wine 5 02-04-2008 09:37 PM
TN: CA, NZ, Rheingau, LI DaleW Wine 0 16-02-2006 08:46 PM
Vintage 2003 in Germany (esp. Rheingau) Topi Kuusinen Wine 4 03-03-2004 06:42 PM