Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Rheinhessen, Chablis, Sicily

Friday Betsy made the James Boyce lobster/tomato/corn salad recipe. I
had opened the 2005 Gunderloch Dry Riesling (Rheinhessen) when I got
home. This seems truly dry (I thought I had remembered as being a
little off-dry), and I began to doubt its suitability as a match. Lots
of petrol for a young wine, flinty minerality, peaches and grapefruit.
Good length. I put aside and revisit late Sat. Broad-bodied for QbA,
nice wine. B/B+

So for the lobster I opened the 2006 JM Brocard "Vau de Vey" Chablis
1er. Tight and ungiving. Some clear minerals, reticent granny smith
fruit, some length to finish, but mostly showing acids. Night 2 little
change. This might develop, but for now B-

So as related elsewhere I spent Saturday afternoon enjoying the Levys'
hospitality. But I wanted to join family for dinner, and make my
excuses about 7. Leaving behind a gorgeous lineup of reds, I decided
to console myself with a red with Betsy's veal chops and potato salad
(normally I would go white). I chose a new favorite, the 2004 Biondi
"Outis" (Nessuno) Etna Rosso. Lovely ripe dark cherry fruit with a
little black raspberry, good acidity yet with a lushness of texture
that makes it smooth. As I said before, this could do well as a ringer
in a blind tasting of good village Burgs. Ripe, balanced, elegant. I'm
going to try aging these a bit, too. B+/A-
*