Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Vintage Champagne Line-up

I was purging the "orphan" area of my bubbly stash and found a few
bottles that I've decided to do in a tasting of vintage champers. I'm
not sure how to line them up in flights. Old to new, light to heavy,
fruity to yeasty? Any input would be welcomed.

1988 Salon Blanc de Blanc Le Mesnil
1988 Krug Brut
1989 Perrier Jouet Fleur de Champagne
1990 Roederer Cristal
1990 Bollinger RD (disgorged Sept 04)
1993 Dom Perignon
1995 Krug Brut
2000 Ruinart L'Exclusive

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 9, 10:14*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I was purging the "orphan" area of my bubbly stash and found a few
> bottles that I've decided to do in a tasting of vintage champers. *I'm
> not sure how to line them up in flights. *Old to new, light to heavy,
> fruity to yeasty? Any input would be welcomed.
>
> 1988 Salon Blanc de Blanc Le Mesnil
> 1988 Krug Brut
> 1989 Perrier Jouet Fleur de Champagne
> 1990 Roederer Cristal
> 1990 Bollinger RD (disgorged Sept 04)
> 1993 Dom Perignon
> 1995 Krug Brut
> 2000 Ruinart L'Exclusive

I wonder if a Champagne dinner would be a good choice. I believe
someone here has described such in the past. It could be BillS, but I
am not for sure. I would be inclined to serve the 2 Krug bruts
together to compare them. I have not ever had Ruinart. Since there is
only a 7 year variation in the remaining wines and none are old enough
to have developed mellow old Champagne character(which some people do
not like), I would not worry too much about the order for the others.
Just for kicks, one could pair Cristal with Dom Perignon, since both
of these are flashy Champagnes in certain circles, such as Las Vegas.
I likely would like the 2 Krug bruts and the Bollinger RD best.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" wrote .......

>I was purging the "orphan" area of my bubbly stash and found a few
> bottles that I've decided to do in a tasting of vintage champers. I'm
> not sure how to line them up in flights. Old to new, light to heavy,
> fruity to yeasty? Any input would be welcomed.
>
> 1988 Salon Blanc de Blanc Le Mesnil
> 1988 Krug Brut
> 1989 Perrier Jouet Fleur de Champagne
> 1990 Roederer Cristal
> 1990 Bollinger RD (disgorged Sept 04)
> 1993 Dom Perignon
> 1995 Krug Brut
> 2000 Ruinart L'Exclusive

Hmmm - what a dilemma!!!

The Ruinart (it is a magnum in a walnut presentation box - right?) was is a
recent innovation from Ruinart, originally released for y2k millenium
celebrations.

Like the Salon, it is Blanc de Blanc, so, if you are determined to open a
magnum; something of a collectable valued at over $1,200, I would pair it
with the Salon - and make this the first flight.

Flight two, I would include the Dom Perignon, Perrier Jouet and the Cristal
Flight three then would comprise the two Krugs and the Bollinger RD - the
heavy weighs.

Is my invite in the mail?

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote in
:

> "Bi!!" wrote .......
>>
>>I was purging the "orphan" area of my bubbly stash and found a few
>> bottles that I've decided to do in a tasting of vintage champers.
>> I'm not sure how to line them up in flights. Old to new, light to
>> heavy, fruity to yeasty? Any input would be welcomed.
>>
>> 1988 Salon Blanc de Blanc Le Mesnil
>> 1988 Krug Brut
>> 1989 Perrier Jouet Fleur de Champagne
>> 1990 Roederer Cristal
>> 1990 Bollinger RD (disgorged Sept 04)
>> 1993 Dom Perignon
>> 1995 Krug Brut
>> 2000 Ruinart L'Exclusive
>>

> Hmmm - what a dilemma!!!
>
> The Ruinart (it is a magnum in a walnut presentation box - right?) was
> is a recent innovation from Ruinart, originally released for y2k
> millenium celebrations.
>
> Like the Salon, it is Blanc de Blanc, so, if you are determined to
> open a magnum; something of a collectable valued at over $1,200, I
> would pair it with the Salon - and make this the first flight.
>
> Flight two, I would include the Dom Perignon, Perrier Jouet and the
> Cristal Flight three then would comprise the two Krugs and the
> Bollinger RD - the heavy weighs.
>
> Is my invite in the mail?
>
> --
>
> st.helier

Lord St H, I like the way you think! That second flight would be very
interesting although I would put my money on the Fleur the Dom and
Cristal tend to get the hype but I like the P/J. Can't say much about
the others, but Blanc de Blanc is a fine bubbly.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 9, 8:59�pm, "st.helier" > wrote:
> "Bi!!" wrote .......
>

> >I was purging the "orphan" area of my bubbly stash and found a few
> > bottles that I've decided to do in a tasting of vintage champers. �I'm
> > not sure how to line them up in flights. �Old to new, light to heavy,
> > fruity to yeasty? Any input would be welcomed.

> > 1988 Salon Blanc de Blanc Le Mesnil
> > 1988 Krug Brut
> > 1989 Perrier Jouet Fleur de Champagne
> > 1990 Roederer Cristal
> > 1990 Bollinger RD (disgorged Sept 04)
> > 1993 Dom Perignon
> > 1995 Krug Brut
> > 2000 Ruinart L'Exclusive

> Hmmm - what a dilemma!!!
>
> The Ruinart (it is a magnum in a walnut presentation box - right?) was is a
> recent innovation from Ruinart, originally released for y2k millenium
> celebrations.
>
> Like the Salon, it is Blanc de Blanc, so, if you are determined to open a
> magnum; something of a collectable valued at over $1,200, I would pair it
> with the Salon - and make this the first flight.
>
> Flight two, I would include the Dom Perignon, Perrier Jouet and the Cristal
> Flight three then would comprise the two Krugs and the Bollinger RD - the
> heavy weighs.
>
> Is my invite in the mail?
>
> --
>
> st.helier

The Ruinart is a numbered mag in a Christofle Silver Filigreed bottle
which becomes a decanter when empty. The bottle rests in an African
Walnut case (atop silver satin pillows) and becomes a humidor when the
empty. It's a real beauty and was done for the MIllenium. It's not a
collectible to me...... it's just a fancy bottle. I bought it at a
charity event for $500 many years ago.

I like the way you paired the wines. It makes sense and puts the
fruity ones together and the yeasty ones together which will make
interesting comparisons and good food matches.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> I was purging the "orphan" area of my bubbly stash and found a few
> bottles that I've decided to do in a tasting of vintage champers. I'm
> not sure how to line them up in flights. Old to new, light to heavy,
> fruity to yeasty? Any input would be welcomed.
>
> 1988 Salon Blanc de Blanc Le Mesnil
> 1988 Krug Brut
> 1989 Perrier Jouet Fleur de Champagne
> 1990 Roederer Cristal
> 1990 Bollinger RD (disgorged Sept 04)
> 1993 Dom Perignon
> 1995 Krug Brut
> 2000 Ruinart L'Exclusive

An invitation would be nice. Go light to heavy for my way of thinking.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Joseph Coulter > wrote:

> "st.helier" > wrote in
> :
>
> > "Bi!!" wrote .......
> >>
> >>I was purging the "orphan" area of my bubbly stash and found a few
> >> bottles that I've decided to do in a tasting of vintage champers.
> >> I'm not sure how to line them up in flights. Old to new, light to
> >> heavy, fruity to yeasty? Any input would be welcomed.
> >>
> >> 1988 Salon Blanc de Blanc Le Mesnil
> >> 1988 Krug Brut
> >> 1989 Perrier Jouet Fleur de Champagne
> >> 1990 Roederer Cristal
> >> 1990 Bollinger RD (disgorged Sept 04)
> >> 1993 Dom Perignon
> >> 1995 Krug Brut
> >> 2000 Ruinart L'Exclusive
> >>

> > Hmmm - what a dilemma!!!
> >
> > The Ruinart (it is a magnum in a walnut presentation box - right?) was
> > is a recent innovation from Ruinart, originally released for y2k
> > millenium celebrations.
> >
> > Like the Salon, it is Blanc de Blanc, so, if you are determined to
> > open a magnum; something of a collectable valued at over $1,200, I
> > would pair it with the Salon - and make this the first flight.
> >
> > Flight two, I would include the Dom Perignon, Perrier Jouet and the
> > Cristal Flight three then would comprise the two Krugs and the
> > Bollinger RD - the heavy weighs.
> >
> > Is my invite in the mail?
> >
> > --
> >
> > st.helier
> >

> Lord St H, I like the way you think! That second flight would be very
> interesting although I would put my money on the Fleur the Dom and
> Cristal tend to get the hype but I like the P/J. Can't say much about
> the others, but Blanc de Blanc is a fine bubbly.

I've had both Krug's and would consider them the heavyweights of the
bunch especially the '95.
Posted to alt.food.wine

That's a lot of wine for one tasting, and I'm not sure everyone will
appreciate the wines they taste later on. You might consider breaking
it up into two events on different nights. Which works especially
well to reduce the number of "Can't you please change the night-- I
can't make it that night and I really want to be there" phone calls.

You could break it up by fruity vs. yeasty or light vs. heavy, or
simply do it randomly so you don't have too many similar-tasting wines
the same night. Not everybody appreciates the subtle differences
between Champagnes-- although I had a barbecue a few years ago with a
vertical Veuve Clicquot tasting and a friend of mine who doesn't drink
Champagne did remark about how amazed he was at the difference between
(I think it was) 1988 and 1989 wines.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 29, 6:42�am, Shaun Eli > wrote:
> That's a lot of wine for one tasting, and I'm not sure everyone will
> appreciate the wines they taste later on. �You might consider breaking
> it up into two events on different nights. �Which works especially
> well to reduce the number of "Can't you please change the night-- I
> can't make it that night and I really want to be there" phone calls.
>
> You could break it up by fruity vs. yeasty or light vs. heavy, or
> simply do it randomly so you don't have too many similar-tasting wines
> the same night. �Not everybody appreciates the subtle differences
> between Champagnes-- although I had a barbecue a few years ago with a
> vertical Veuve Clicquot tasting and a friend of mine who doesn't drink
> Champagne did remark about how amazed he was at the difference between
> (I think it was) 1988 and 1989 wines.
>
> Shaun Eliwww.BrainChampagne.com

If you knew my friends you'd know that this isn't too much wine...:-)
Posted to alt.food.wine

Not too much wines, but possibly too many different wines to
appreciate them all in one tasting. Now if they were eight dollar
wines nobody'd care but you probably won't get another chance to have
a tasting like this...

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 30, 12:48�pm, Shaun Eli >
wrote:
> Not too much wines, but possibly too many different wines to
> appreciate them all in one tasting. �Now if they were eight dollar
> wines nobody'd care but you probably won't get another chance to have
> a tasting like this...

You haven't seen my cellar. But I apprieciate the input.

Dont Go On Line James and LuAnne Smith General Cooking 0 04-06-2012 04:25 AM
TN Vintage Champagne SFWS JT Wine 1 13-05-2009 09:29 PM
In the Checkout Line aem General Cooking 209 05-04-2009 05:10 PM
On-Line Classified Ads uRummage General Cooking 0 08-12-2006 03:05 AM
FA: LOUIS ROEDERER Christal Champagne Vintage 1979 SEALED [email protected] General 0 07-02-2005 04:11 AM