Posted to alt.food.wine

Default a little pronounciation help, please...

Could someone spell phonetically (for US english) the family name
"Moueix" of Petrus fame - I'm reading a book and it is driving me
nutzoid...

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 8, 12:28�pm, Ronin > wrote:
> Could someone spell phonetically (for US english) the family name
> "Moueix" of Petrus fame - I'm reading a book and it is driving me
> nutzoid...

I say "Moo Ex" but have heard people say "Moo-wEX" (not sure how to
actually phoneticize that- just a hint of the w sound).

Hopefully someone with better French can speak up.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ronin" > wrote in message
> Could someone spell phonetically (for US english) the family name "Moueix"
> of Petrus fame - I'm reading a book and it is driving me nutzoid...

This won't help in this case but it is useful for bordeaux chateaux:
http://www.bbr.com/wine-knowledge/pronunciation

Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 8, 12:58�pm, "Graham" > wrote:
> "Ronin" > wrote in message

> > Could someone spell phonetically (for US english) the family name "Moueix"
> > of Petrus fame - I'm reading a book and it is driving me nutzoid...

> This won't help in this case but it is useful for bordeaux chateaux:http://www.bbr.com/wine-knowledge/pronunciation
>
> Graham

Of course we can all fight over Talbot.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
On Aug 8, 12:58?pm, "Graham" > wrote:
> "Ronin" > wrote in message

> > Could someone spell phonetically (for US english) the family name
> > "Moueix"
> > of Petrus fame - I'm reading a book and it is driving me nutzoid...

> This won't help in this case but it is useful for bordeaux
> chateaux:http://www.bbr.com/wine-knowledge/pronunciation
>
> Graham

Of course we can all fight over Talbot.

..........and the "i" in Rothschild! {;-)
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2008-08-08 11:34:22 -0700, "Graham" > said:

> "DaleW" > wrote in message
> On Aug 8, 12:58?pm, "Graham" > wrote:
>> "Ronin" > wrote in message

>>> Could someone spell phonetically (for US english) the family name
>>> "Moueix"
>>> of Petrus fame - I'm reading a book and it is driving me nutzoid...

>> This won't help in this case but it is useful for bordeaux
>> chateaux:http://www.bbr.com/wine-knowledge/pronunciation
>>
>> Graham

> Of course we can all fight over Talbot.
>
> .........and the "i" in Rothschild! {;-)
> Graham

That's why I specified US English - maybe I should have said California
English... :-)

Thanks, all...

JB

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 09:28:49 -0700, Ronin >
wrote:

>Could someone spell phonetically (for US english) the family name
>"Moueix" of Petrus fame - I'm reading a book and it is driving me
>nutzoid...

For your interest tbere are NO rules for pronouncing proper names in
French. . Moueix - like any names ending in -eix are Corrézien in
origin, (we live there) and we have neighbours called Sireix, Sirieix,
Siriex etc and so forth.

So how do they pronounce their names?
Si (short 'i's throughout as in "in".) riay
Si-ri-ex (as in an ex-wife)
Siray-ix

etc ad nauseam.

When I met the family as I recall it, they pronounced their name
moo (as in cow) ix as in the US american "six".

--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2008-08-10 04:11:41 -0700, IanH > said:

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 09:28:49 -0700, Ronin >
> wrote:
>
>> Could someone spell phonetically (for US english) the family name
>> "Moueix" of Petrus fame - I'm reading a book and it is driving me
>> nutzoid...

> For your interest tbere are NO rules for pronouncing proper names in
> French. . Moueix - like any names ending in -eix are Corrézien in
> origin, (we live there) and we have neighbours called Sireix, Sirieix,
> Siriex etc and so forth.
>
> So how do they pronounce their names?
> Si (short 'i's throughout as in "in".) riay
> Si-ri-ex (as in an ex-wife)
> Siray-ix
>
> etc ad nauseam.
>
> When I met the family as I recall it, they pronounced their name
> moo (as in cow) ix as in the US american "six".

Thanks, Ian... I LOVE little tidbits like that!

Pronounciation Ed Rasimus Wine 51 08-06-2007 08:08 PM
vosne romanee pronounciation fama Wine 2 28-06-2005 05:37 PM