Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 1968 Rioja, plus Loires and a Aussie bubbly

Last night was absolutely perfect by the river, a nice jazz concert
where we knew one of the musicians, lovely weather, gorgeous sunset
followed by moonlight on the water, good friends. We had cheeses,
leftover duck, salads, and some nice wines:

1968 Vina Valoria Rioja
A couple weeks ago a friend looking for a 40th gift for someone had
asked about this ($80 at PJ), I had no clue. But when I discovered
that Jonathan, one of the nicest guys on the planet, was turning 40
yesterday and had NO plans, a bottle had to be acquired. We dragged
him down to river to toast his first 4 decades. This doesn't have any
Reserva or Gran Reserva designation. Heavy Bdx shaped bottle with a
seal type thing on neck. Some burnt sugar/caramel and hint of dill on
opening, some bricking in color. Straightforward red fruit, some
forest floor decay notes giving a clue to its age. Certainly
enjoyable, though I didn't find it anywhere near as mesmerizingly
complex or long as the '68 Ygay or Tondonia. I was just happy it was
alive. If you have a geek friend turning 40 this year you might want
to splurge on a Lopez de Heredia (or the Mastroberardino Riserva!),
but if you want a symbolic wine this is probably as good as you're
going to get for under $100. B/B+, but A for pleasing a good guy.

NV Seaview Brut
Someone else who also found out at last minute it was Jonathan's
birthday grabbed the only bubbly they had in house. This is really
quite acceptable for inexpensive sparkler. Yeast and apples, no length
to speak of but clean and forward. B-

2007 Clos Roche Blanche Pineau d'Aunis Rosé (Touraine)
I've generally loved this in past, but this was good not great. That
herby/piney PdA thing, good strawberry fruit. But this could actually
use a bit more spine to be thrilling. B

2005 Thierry Germain/Roches Neuves Saumur-Champigny
By time I tasted this it was too dark to see labels, but hope that is
accurate description. Nice juicy Cab Franc, red fruit with cedar and
menthol on the nose. Good acidity, light tannins, tasty. B

About as close to a perfect night as I can imagine, even if the wines
were more good than great.

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1968 Rioja, plus Loires and a Aussie bubbly

"DaleW" > wrote in message

>. B/B+, but A for pleasing a good guy.

Tasting wine is about the wine..... enjoying wine is about the company!

pk