Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burgs, Loire, CdP, Bdx blanc with duck and foraged chanterelles

Last night we had a little dinner party on the patio. We invited Jim
and Dana (and their dog Courtney), as thanks for keeping Lucy while we
were in CA. Plus we invited Alex and Hilary, as their kids were all in
France. Glad we included them, because they had just found a treasure
trove of chanterelles while biking. They showed up with a big basket,
which Alex cooked while Betsy did the rest of meal.

With olives and an avocado/buttermilk soup:
2006 Matrot (forgot to look, think Thierry & Pascale, but all the
same) Bourgogne blanc****
Clean Chardonnay fruit, apple and lemon fruit, could use a touch more
acidity. B/B-

2006 Haut Rian (Bordeaux Blanc)
I think I preferred 2004 and 2005 of this. Herby/grassy SB nose, nice
flavors, maybe a touch dilute. B-

With grilled duck breast (we prerendered fatty side to reduce
flareups) with chanterelles over salad, and a barley/zucchini/asiago/
basil side.

2005 Guion "Cuvee Prestige" Bourgueil
Nice wine to serve chilled on a summer eve. Earthy, good dark fruit
with a hint of treebark (not new oak, none apparent despite name),
nice balance. I like this wine, too bad it's sold out. B+

2005 Domaine La Milliere Chateauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes
I served this because Jim is a CdP fan. Big ripe red fruit, some smoke
and bacon fat, lots of herbes de Provence. Tannins a bit raspy. Shows
a bit hot, maybe better on a cold winter day. B

2004 Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune
Nice red cherries, a little cran/rasp berry tartness, just a hint of
green herbiness, good concentration, refreshing acidity. B

Cheese was aged red Leichester, Reblochon, and Stilton. Betsy made a
blackberry pie. Good time was had by all, human and canine.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> 2005 Guion "Cuvee Prestige" Bourgueil
> Nice wine to serve chilled on a summer eve. Earthy, good dark fruit
> with a hint of treebark (not new oak, none apparent despite name),
> nice balance. I like this wine, too bad it's sold out. B+

I've never heard of this producer, Dale. Who brings it in?

> 2005 Domaine La Milliere Chateauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes
> I served this because Jim is a CdP fan. Big ripe red fruit, some smoke
> and bacon fat, lots of herbes de Provence. Tannins a bit raspy. Shows
> a bit hot, maybe better on a cold winter day. B

Is this the NBI "Cuvée Unique"? Theirs is the only version of this wine
that I've had: nothing special so far as CdP goes.

> 2004 Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune
> Nice red cherries, a little cran/rasp berry tartness, just a hint of
> green herbiness, good concentration, refreshing acidity. B

Thanks for this. This is one of the few Drouhin reds to reliable find
its way to our area, so I'm always interested in getting data on it.

Mark Lipton
(just returned from vacation)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 11, 2:11�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > 2005 Guion "Cuvee Prestige" Bourgueil
> > Nice wine to serve chilled on a summer eve. Earthy, good dark fruit
> > with a hint of treebark (not new oak, none apparent despite name),
> > nice balance. �I like this wine, too bad it's sold out. B+

> I've never heard of this producer, Dale. �Who brings it in?
>

> > 2005 Domaine La Milliere Chateauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes
> > I served this because Jim is a CdP fan. Big ripe red fruit, some smoke
> > and bacon fat, lots of herbes de Provence. Tannins a bit raspy. Shows
> > a bit hot, maybe better on a cold winter day. B

> Is this the NBI "Cuv�e Unique"? �Theirs is the only version of this wine
> that I've had: nothing special so far as CdP goes.
>

> > 2004 Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune
> > Nice red cherries, a little cran/rasp berry tartness, �just a hint of
> > green herbiness, good concentration, refreshing acidity. B

> Thanks for this. �This is one of the few Drouhin reds to reliable find
> its way to our area, so I'm always interested in getting data on it.
>
> Mark Lipton
> (just returned from vacation)
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I'm at office, but have a couple cases of stuff from CSW sale here.
The Prestige was gone before I got order in, but have some of the
basic domaine Guion- says Fruits of the Vine (NYC). The CdP wasn't
North Berkely.
Welcome back
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> DaleW wrote:
>
> > 2005 Guion "Cuvee Prestige" Bourgueil
> > Nice wine to serve chilled on a summer eve. Earthy, good dark fruit
> > with a hint of treebark (not new oak, none apparent despite name),
> > nice balance. I like this wine, too bad it's sold out. B+

> I've never heard of this producer, Dale. Who brings it in?
>

> > 2005 Domaine La Milliere Chateauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes
> > I served this because Jim is a CdP fan. Big ripe red fruit, some smoke
> > and bacon fat, lots of herbes de Provence. Tannins a bit raspy. Shows
> > a bit hot, maybe better on a cold winter day. B

> Is this the NBI "Cuvée Unique"? Theirs is the only version of this wine
> that I've had: nothing special so far as CdP goes.
>

> > 2004 Drouhin Chorey-les-Beaune
> > Nice red cherries, a little cran/rasp berry tartness, just a hint of
> > green herbiness, good concentration, refreshing acidity. B

> Thanks for this. This is one of the few Drouhin reds to reliable find
> its way to our area, so I'm always interested in getting data on it.
>
> Mark Lipton
> (just returned from vacation)

Mark do you get the Oregon Domaine Drouhin Pinots? Bit pricey but nice.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> Mark do you get the Oregon Domaine Drouhin Pinots? Bit pricey but nice.

Larry,
Jean and I have been fans of DDO since its inaugural vintage. We
still usually end up buying it when on the West Coast, but (weirdly) a
local bar/restaurant for years has offered DDO for $30 a bottle on their
wine list. Storage conditions weren't perfect, but we drank through
their supply fast enough that it wasn't a problem and they kept
resupplying. We haven't had that much fun with a local wine list since
drinking through a stash of '86 Beaucastel at a local "fine dining"
establishment shortly after arriving here in '90 ;-)

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

> Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>
> > Mark do you get the Oregon Domaine Drouhin Pinots? Bit pricey but nice.

> Larry,
> Jean and I have been fans of DDO since its inaugural vintage. We
> still usually end up buying it when on the West Coast, but (weirdly) a
> local bar/restaurant for years has offered DDO for $30 a bottle on their
> wine list. Storage conditions weren't perfect, but we drank through
> their supply fast enough that it wasn't a problem and they kept
> resupplying. We haven't had that much fun with a local wine list since
> drinking through a stash of '86 Beaucastel at a local "fine dining"
> establishment shortly after arriving here in '90 ;-)
>
> Mark Lipton

$30? That's way under retail. Wow.