FoodBanter.com

-   -   2004 Markham Petite Syrah and Corn tasting (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/159734-2004-markham-petite-syrah.html)

Bi!! 04-08-2008 04:40 PM

2004 Markham Petite Syrah and Corn tasting

I spent a long weekend at my farm and started the weekend with a
small corn and wine tasting. We're just past the peak of sweet corn
season in Ohio but plenty of corn is still available thanks to my
neighbors. I chose three varieties of corn; "Silver Queen" (white),
"Bodacious" (yellow) and "Cream and Sugar" (bi-color). I blanched
them in boiling salted water for about three minutes and brushed them
with a little salted butter. I chose a number of wines to taste with
the corn and the winner was:
2002 Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay-The texture and richness of
the corn was a good match with the Shafer. The acidity of the wine
balanced the richness of the corn yet the wine had a depth of flavor
(no malo) that made the corn taste like...corn. Other contenders were
2002 Henri Boillot Meursault, 2003 Rombauer Chardonnay, 2004 Kerpen
Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Riesling, 2001 Trimbach Riesling Alsace.
On Sunday I smoked a beef brisket for 12 hours and served a 2004
Markham Petite Syrah. The wine was tight on opening so I decanted it
for an hour while the brisket rested in foil. After and hour the wine
was much smoother with blueberry and black coffee notes on the nose.
There was plenty of smoked meat notes in the wine and a bit of ripe
black fruit all within a fairly tannic structure. It was excellent
with the brisket. "B+"

DaleW 04-08-2008 04:56 PM

On Aug 4, 11:40�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> � �I spent a long weekend at my farm and started the weekend with a
> small corn and wine tasting. �We're just past the peak of sweet corn
> season in Ohio but plenty of corn is still available thanks to my
> neighbors. �I chose three varieties of corn; "Silver Queen" (white),
> "Bodacious" (yellow) and "Cream and Sugar" (bi-color). �I blanched
> them in boiling salted water for about three minutes and brushed them
> with a little salted butter. �I chose a number of wines to taste with
> the corn and the winner was:
> 2002 Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay-The texture and richness of
> the corn was a good match with the Shafer. �The acidity of the wine
> balanced the richness of the corn yet the wine had a depth of flavor
> (no malo) that made the corn taste like...corn. �Other contenders were
> 2002 Henri Boillot Meursault, 2003 Rombauer Chardonnay, 2004 Kerpen
> Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Riesling, 2001 Trimbach Riesling Alsace.
> � � �On Sunday I smoked a beef brisket for 12 hours and served a 2004
> Markham Petite Syrah. �The wine was tight on opening so I decanted it
> for an hour while the brisket rested in foil. �After and hour the wine
> was much smoother with blueberry and �black coffee notes on the nose.
> There was plenty of smoked meat notes in the wine and a bit of ripe
> black fruit all within a fairly tannic structure. �It was excellent
> with the brisket. "B+"

thanks for the wine notes, but personally I was ready for some corn
notes!
A lot of people are firmly in the Silver Queen camp, I love it, but
also like Cream and Sugar and Golden Bantam.
Never had Bodacious.

Bi!! 04-08-2008 06:34 PM

On Aug 4, 11:56�am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Aug 4, 11:40 am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > I spent a long weekend at my farm and started the weekend with a
> > small corn and wine tasting. We're just past the peak of sweet corn
> > season in Ohio but plenty of corn is still available thanks to my
> > neighbors. I chose three varieties of corn; "Silver Queen" (white),
> > "Bodacious" (yellow) and "Cream and Sugar" (bi-color). I blanched
> > them in boiling salted water for about three minutes and brushed them
> > with a little salted butter. I chose a number of wines to taste with
> > the corn and the winner was:
> > 2002 Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay-The texture and richness of
> > the corn was a good match with the Shafer. The acidity of the wine
> > balanced the richness of the corn yet the wine had a depth of flavor
> > (no malo) that made the corn taste like...corn. Other contenders were
> > 2002 Henri Boillot Meursault, 2003 Rombauer Chardonnay, 2004 Kerpen
> > Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Riesling, 2001 Trimbach Riesling Alsace.
> > On Sunday I smoked a beef brisket for 12 hours and served a 2004
> > Markham Petite Syrah. The wine was tight on opening so I decanted it
> > for an hour while the brisket rested in foil. After and hour the wine
> > was much smoother with blueberry and black coffee notes on the nose.
> > There was plenty of smoked meat notes in the wine and a bit of ripe
> > black fruit all within a fairly tannic structure. It was excellent
> > with the brisket. "B+"

> thanks for the wine notes, but personally I was ready for some corn
> notes!
> A lot of people are firmly in the Silver Queen camp, I love it, but
> also like Cream and Sugar and Golden Bantam.
> Never had Bodacious.- Hide quoted text -

There are a lot of new hybrid white corns that are replacing Silver
Queen but I like the "bite" of the kernels and the pure sweet corn
taste of Silver Queen as well as the bit of earthly flavor in the
Silver Queen. The Cream and Sugar is pure decadence with a very
sweet, creamy flavor. The kernels can be a bit too tender and can go
to mush very quickly so it can't be over cooked or it will be ruined.
There's also a fruitiness to Cream and Sugar that I enjoy. It reminds
me of creamed corn on the cob. Bodacious is a full flavored yellow
corn with medium to large kernels. Plenty of "al dente" bite in the
firm yet tender kernels and a pure deep corn taste with a bit of
buttered popcorn and toasted corn thrown in yet it's still quite
sweet. I'm fortunate that I can pick and cook the corn within the
hour which is really important with yellow corn as it tends to get
tough and starchy very quickly after picking.