Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Halibut Cheeks

Does anyone know where I can get Halibut Cheeks in the area?
Toronto to London or the Golden Triangle is fine. Or do you know of a
fish monger who could perhaps order them for me? PS Nothing at TJs or
Caudles Catch.

Thanks

Dave Gimbel
LCBO Sales/Export Manager
Vineland Estates Winery

519-572-1634
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2008-08-03 01:36:15 -0700, Mike Tommasi > said:

> Dave wrote:
>> Does anyone know where I can get Halibut Cheeks in the area?
>> Toronto to London or the Golden Triangle is fine. Or do you know of a
>> fish monger who could perhaps order them for me? PS Nothing at TJs or
>> Caudles Catch.

> I would try a supplier of lark's tongues.

Actually, Mike, halibut cheeks are a great delicacy here in the Pacific
Northwest, and command a good price, and are available at Trader Joe's
(TJs) frozen on occassion. I personally don't see the fuss - I like the
steaks just as well.

My question for Dave is "in the area" of where, exactly? Portland?
Seattle? Anchorage? Duluth? Adelaide?

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ronin > wrote in
:

> On 2008-08-03 01:36:15 -0700, Mike Tommasi > said:
>
>> Dave wrote:
>>> Does anyone know where I can get Halibut Cheeks in the area?
>>> Toronto to London or the Golden Triangle is fine. Or do you know of
>>> a fish monger who could perhaps order them for me? PS Nothing at
>>> TJs or Caudles Catch.

>> I would try a supplier of lark's tongues.

> Actually, Mike, halibut cheeks are a great delicacy here in the
> Pacific Northwest, and command a good price, and are available at
> Trader Joe's (TJs) frozen on occassion. I personally don't see the
> fuss - I like the steaks just as well.
>
> My question for Dave is "in the area" of where, exactly? Portland?
> Seattle? Anchorage? Duluth? Adelaide?

From the description Toronto to London I would think Ontario, Canada.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ronin wrote:

> On 2008-08-03 01:36:15 -0700, Mike Tommasi >
> said:
>
>> Dave wrote:
>>> Does anyone know where I can get Halibut Cheeks in the area?
>>> Toronto to London or the Golden Triangle is fine. Or do you know
>>> of a
>>> fish monger who could perhaps order them for me? PS Nothing at
>>> TJs or Caudles Catch.

>> I would try a supplier of lark's tongues.

> Actually, Mike, halibut cheeks are a great delicacy here in the
> Pacific Northwest, and command a good price, and are available at
> Trader Joe's (TJs) frozen on occassion. I personally don't see the
> fuss - I like the steaks just as well.
>
> My question for Dave is "in the area" of where, exactly? Portland?
> Seattle? Anchorage? Duluth? Adelaide?

I first tasted Halibut Cheeks at Pike Place Market in Seattle years
ago. They had a memorable texture, somewhat reminiscent of the
Chinese custom of presenting the cheeks of a whole fish to the guest
of honor at a banquet.

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 2, 3:21*pm, Dave > wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get Halibut Cheeks in the area?
> Toronto to London or the Golden Triangle is fine. Or do you know of a
> fish monger who could perhaps order them *for me? PS Nothing at TJs or
> Caudles Catch.

I posted many hours ago, but the message has not appeared. Thus I will
try again. The message could have appeared on some readers.

I do not know of any sources in your area, but there is a source that
likely will ship to you directly. If you are in Canada their site
likely will tell you if they ship there. See http://www.alaskaharvest.com/
. I have not ordered halibut cheeks from them, but their Alaskan spot
shrimp and two kinds of crab were quite good and so was the service.
Several other sources turn up in a Google source, but I have not used
any of these.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> Young Martle wrote:
>> On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 10:36:15 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
>> wrote:

>>> I would try a supplier of lark's tongues.

>> I am having Cod Tongues and Cheeks for dinner tonight!

> Just for the halibut?
>
> Did you get them at the aforementioned Cod-les Jack (wherever in the world
> that is)?
>
> Toronto used to have a capital complex (the Toronto paper was called
> "national" for some reason), has it become the center of the world?
>
> :-)

Most Torontonians seem to think so! {:-)
Graham (in W. Canada)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 2, 4:21*pm, Dave > wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get Halibut Cheeks in the area?
> Toronto to London or the Golden Triangle is fine. Or do you know of a
> fish monger who could perhaps order them *for me? PS Nothing at TJs or
> Caudles Catch.

For Halibut Cheeks, try: http://www.pikeplacefish.com/store_product_1089.html

For Walleye Cheeks, try: http://www.walleyedirect.com/categor...eye-fish..html

I know some folks who have bought them from both of these places
before and were very happy with the taste of their purchases.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ronin" wrote .......

> Actually, Mike, halibut cheeks are a great delicacy here in the Pacific
> Northwest, and command a good price, and are available at Trader Joe's
> (TJs) frozen on occassion. I personally don't see the fuss - I like the
> steaks just as well.

I must confess that my initial reaction was similar to Mike's.

However, stuck down here in the South Pacific, during the third rainstorm in
eight days, my curiosity got the better of me - and I consulted Uncle
Google.

I had no idea that Halibut grew to such a gigantic size; and being a lover
of seafood of all kinds, I regret that it is so far from Alaska to NZ, or
else I would definitely put Halibut Cheeks on my "must try" list.

OK - I see that it is a delicate white fish - but, what wine would one match
with a simply prepared Halibut dish - Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc? Chablis?
Riesling? Just curious!

To the OP - Google revealed suppliers in Alaska (with glowing references on
their websites) who appear to be able to ship Halibut Cheeks and a wide
range of other seafood, anywhere in the USA / Canada within a day or two -
may be your best bet.

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2008-08-03 09:11:50 -0700, Joseph Coulter > said:

> Ronin > wrote in
> :

>>> I would try a supplier of lark's tongues.

>> Actually, Mike, halibut cheeks are a great delicacy here in the
>> Pacific Northwest, and command a good price, and are available at
>> Trader Joe's (TJs) frozen on occassion. I personally don't see the
>> fuss - I like the steaks just as well.
>>
>> My question for Dave is "in the area" of where, exactly? Portland?
>> Seattle? Anchorage? Duluth? Adelaide?
>>

> From the description Toronto to London I would think Ontario, Canada.

The "golden triangle" got me - in my day it was the area from Eastern
Turkey to Afghanistan to Northern Burma... :-)

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ronin" > wrote in message
> On 2008-08-03 09:11:50 -0700, Joseph Coulter > said:
>
>> Ronin > wrote in
>> :

>>> Actually, Mike, halibut cheeks are a great delicacy here in the
>>> Pacific Northwest, and command a good price, and are available at
>>> Trader Joe's (TJs) frozen on occassion. I personally don't see the
>>> fuss - I like the steaks just as well.
>>>
>>> My question for Dave is "in the area" of where, exactly? Portland?
>>> Seattle? Anchorage? Duluth? Adelaide?
>>>

>> From the description Toronto to London I would think Ontario, Canada.

> The "golden triangle" got me - in my day it was the area from Eastern
> Turkey to Afghanistan to Northern Burma... :-)

It's also the name of a strenuous, 320km bike ride route in the Canadian
Rockies.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Graham" > skrev i melding
> It's also the name of a strenuous, 320km bike ride route in the Canadian
> Rockies.
> Graham

Halibut Cheeks in the Canadian Rockies? :-)

You better try North Norway, I'm not sure they can be found in Oslo at all!
<bg> Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dave's employer is but a stone's throw from me here in Grimsby, Ontario
Canada. I suspect he simply misnamed the "Golden Horseshoe" as the Golden
Triangle. For the edification of outlanders, the Golden Horseshoe
encompasses the megalopolopis arc from Oshawa (or so) on the North shore of
Lake Ontario, around the West end of the lake through the Niagara Peninsula
to the Niagara River. The Niagara peninsula also happens to be the major
home of the Canadian wine industry (with a nod to the Okanagan on the west
coast; the North shore of Lake Erie and the newly developing Bay of Quinte
area on Lake Ontario).

Chuck