Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Magnum of 1978 Leoville Las Case

Opened Tuesday night about 1 hour prior to drinking after decanting.
Lots of sediment. Fill was bottom of the neck. Color deep red with some
bricking noted. Nose: cedar box, pencil lead, dark fruit some chocolate
as well (maybe more cocoa). Taste, still very fruity with dark fruits,
some smoked meat and tobacco in the taste. Finish was very long and this
seemed more like a 1990 than 1978 in terms of length. did not fade and
could taste it for 15-20 minutes after finishing it. This wine was more
than I expected from a good year.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 31, 1:23�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> Opened Tuesday night about 1 hour prior to drinking after decanting.
> Lots of sediment. Fill was bottom of the neck. Color deep red with some
> bricking noted. Nose: cedar box, pencil lead, dark fruit some chocolate
> as well (maybe more cocoa). Taste, still very fruity with dark fruits,
> some smoked meat and tobacco in the taste. Finish was very long and this
> seemed more like a 1990 than 1978 in terms of length. did not fade and
> could taste it for 15-20 minutes after finishing it. This wine was more
> than I expected from a good year.

A real favorite of mine. I had it recently from 750ml and had similar
notes although the fruit did fade a bit in the decanter after an hour
leaving a lot of the secondary flavors.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:40:17 -0700 (PDT), "Bi!!" >
wrote:

> On Jul 31, 1:23?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > Opened Tuesday night about 1 hour prior to drinking after decanting.
> > Lots of sediment. Fill was bottom of the neck. Color deep red with some
> > bricking noted. Nose: cedar box, pencil lead, dark fruit some chocolate
> > as well (maybe more cocoa). Taste, still very fruity with dark fruits,
> > some smoked meat and tobacco in the taste. Finish was very long and this
> > seemed more like a 1990 than 1978 in terms of length. did not fade and
> > could taste it for 15-20 minutes after finishing it. This wine was more
> > than I expected from a good year.

> A real favorite of mine.

Mine too, although the case we worked on for several years, is now,
alas, finished.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Ken Blake > wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:40:17 -0700 (PDT), "Bi!!" >
> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 31, 1:23?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > > Opened Tuesday night about 1 hour prior to drinking after decanting.
> > > Lots of sediment. Fill was bottom of the neck. Color deep red with some
> > > bricking noted. Nose: cedar box, pencil lead, dark fruit some chocolate
> > > as well (maybe more cocoa). Taste, still very fruity with dark fruits,
> > > some smoked meat and tobacco in the taste. Finish was very long and this
> > > seemed more like a 1990 than 1978 in terms of length. did not fade and
> > > could taste it for 15-20 minutes after finishing it. This wine was more
> > > than I expected from a good year.

> > A real favorite of mine.

> Mine too, although the case we worked on for several years, is now,
> alas, finished.
>

> > I had it recently from 750ml and had similar
> > notes although the fruit did fade a bit in the decanter after an hour
> > leaving a lot of the secondary flavors.

Yes, this was also my last bottle. I bought a case and 2 Magnums.

Pinot Nero 1982 in Magnum 1,5 L Lambert Wine 4 26-02-2010 12:32 PM
Weber Magnum piedmont Barbecue 0 08-07-2009 09:42 PM
German Wine; Magnum Jaybert41 Wine 24 08-12-2004 08:57 PM
Trevaillon '95 Magnum - not ready yet? Bill Davy Wine 0 07-11-2003 01:19 PM