Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Choosing a Wine Distributor

Can anyone point me to an answer to the questions "How do you find a
wine distributor" and "On what variables should the wine distributor
be rated" and "is there a site that compares wine distribution for
both the U.S. and Canada?"

If there is a moderator, please feel free to tell me where to find
this information.

Thanks!

Bruce in Atlanta
Posted to alt.food.wine

drbruce wrote:
> Can anyone point me to an answer to the questions "How do you find a
> wine distributor" and "On what variables should the wine distributor
> be rated" and "is there a site that compares wine distribution for
> both the U.S. and Canada?"
>
> If there is a moderator, please feel free to tell me where to find
> this information.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bruce in Atlanta

For a moment, I thought I would find a question from Dr. David Bruce,
the California winemaker. Oh, well. To answer your question, I'd have
to know why you're looking for a distributor. Are you looking for
retailers who sell a particular wine? Are you an importer or winemaker
looking to do business with a distributor in your state?

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 29, 8:21 pm, drbruce > wrote:
> Can anyone point me to an answer to the questions "How do you find a
> wine distributor" and "On what variables should the wine distributor
> be rated" and "is there a site that compares wine distribution for
> both the U.S. and Canada?"
>
> If there is a moderator, please feel free to tell me where to find
> this information.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bruce in Atlanta

There is no easy answer. First, Canada has state liquor boards to deal
with. They purchase from importers and have a different system from
the US. In the US, each state has its own rules and regulations
regarding alcohol importation, sale and purchase - many of them very
backward. It really depends on what you are looking for a distributor
to sell. The liquor/wine business in the US has changed dramatically
in the past 10 years. Large national distributors have been buying up
older, traditional family owned distributors at a rapid pace all over
the country. Charmer and Republic National Distributors virtually
control the east coast. Southern Wine and Spirits is the largest
presence in the California and the west, including Las Vegas. The
middle of the country is divided amonst these three. In my market
(Washington, DC), importers may have distributor licenses also. My
buying strategy for imported wines is to buy from these small
distributors almost exclusively except for a very few Burgundy
domaines (Leflaive, Sauzet, Drouhin and Latour) and a few Champagnes.
My advice is to avoid the 3 tier system if at all possible. Go with a
small distributor who will take the time and energy to sell your
product.

Mark
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 29, 7:21*pm, drbruce > wrote:
> Can anyone point me to an answer to the questions "How do you find a
> wine distributor" and "On what variables should the wine distributor
> be rated" and "is there a site that compares wine distribution for
> both the U.S. and Canada?"
>
> If there is a moderator, please feel free to tell me where to find
> this information.

I do not know enough about Canada to comment. In the US, this is a
very complex question. If you are interested in a single state, you
might start by asking a few store owners about distributors in the
state and what they think about them. If you are interested in
multiple states, the situation can become very complex, and many will
use a special service to set up distribution for them. For instance,
see http://www.drinksusa.com/ for one example of such a service. I
have no idea about the quality of their service. You may end up with
different distribution services in different parts of the country and/
or states. Laws can vary from state to state, and importing a wine
made in a neighbor state and distributing it may be as complicated as
importing a wine from across the world. A good service can help you
cut through the red tape, get permits, avoid expensive legal services,
etc. Many states use a 3-tier system, but not all. The top level tier
brings the wine into the state. The next level tier distributes/
wholesales the beverage to retail stores. The retail stores make the
final sales to customers. Some states use a somewhat different system
for sales to restaurants. Usually it is not legal for a higher level
tier to sell directly to customers who must buy only from retail
stores even if they want more cases of a beverage than most retail
stores would order. If you are bring in a new beverage from outside
the US, then some federal agencies become involved, and they have
plenty of complex rules and red tape too.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 29, 8:21�pm, drbruce > wrote:
> Can anyone point me to an answer to the questions "How do you find a
> wine distributor" and "On what variables should the wine distributor
> be rated" and "is there a site that compares wine distribution for
> both the U.S. and Canada?"
>
> If there is a moderator, please feel free to tell me where to find
> this information.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bruce in Atlanta

I have an ownership interest in a wine distributorship serving Ohio
and Kentucky. What is your question?

Appliance Distributor USA Winder Cooking Equipment 0 17-06-2008 05:17 PM
choosing a wine cooler [email protected] Wine 3 29-08-2006 07:06 PM
MLM Wine Distributor Alan Truism General 2 08-08-2006 04:27 AM
MLM Wine Distributor Alan Truism Wine 2 08-08-2006 04:27 AM
Looking for Fetzer distributor in The Netherlands? interrruptus Wine 0 04-07-2004 02:34 PM