Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Mayo Family Winery 2005 Random Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve

The Wine Spies Say:

Mission Codename: The Random Zone

Operative: Agent Red

Objective: Return to Mayo Family Winery. Secure their highly sought-
after Random Ridge Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Mission Status: Accomplished!

Current Winery: Mayo Family Winery

Wine Subject: 2005 Random Ridge Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaker: Michel Berthoud

Winemaker intel brief: Long-term Wine Spies Operatives know this, but
newer Operatives should know that Michel Berthoud was formerly the
winemaker for Arrowood Winery. A few months ago we featured an
Arrowood wine here.

Backgrounder: Last month we featured another superb Mayo Reserve red.
The wine was so well received by those that were able to get their
hands on some that requests for a second May Family wine have been
pouring in. In particular, their Random Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon seems
to be the in-demand wine of choice among our thirsty Operatives. Read
Agent Red’s tasting notes below, followed by the great experience that
he had in meeting Jeffrey Mayo and his staff at the Mayo Reserve Room
Wine Spies Tasting Profile:

Look – Deep garnet to burgundy with concentrated color right out to
its ruby edges, and great clarity through its almost solid heart of
garnet. When swirled, the wine settles fast, but then leaves behind
thick and slow-moving legs

Smell – Deeply fragrant with a big intensity of ripe black fruits of
blackberry, blueberry, smoky plum, cherries and soft oak with violet,
anise, earth, mushroom and mildest cigar box rounding out the nose

Feel – Initially smooth and slightly round, them quickly grippy with
big tannins, full-bodied with solid flavor intensity

Taste – Richly layered flavors of black and red fruit balanced with
oak, dried herbs, subtle salty licorice and a mild minerality

Finish – Long, long, long, with lush and mouth-filling flavors that
linger forever

Conclusion – This is an incredible Cabernet Sauvignon that is ready to
drink now, but will reward the patient for years to come. If you love
expressive and big Cabernet Sauvignon but don’t want your senses to be
blown out by an over-the-top example, this wine is strongly
recommended. Present here are beautiful aromas, rich and lucious
flavors, a fantastic mouth-feel and a super long finish. These all add
up to deliver a wine that is exciting to drink and a pleasure to
share. We first encountered Random Ridge fruit (found in this wine,
too) from Random Ridge Winery and wine legend, Bill Hawley, when we
featured his wine earlier this year. Bill grows fruit at the highest-
possible elevation in Napa, on his estate vineyards, at the tippy-top
of Mt. Veeder. Bill’s influence and that of his incredible fruit are
aparent in this wine. So, too, is the Mayo Reserve signature style;
The wine has a bold and big character – kinda like our friend Jeffrey
Mayo – but you also find a special lush quality to the wine. Is Jeff a
lush? You’ll have to ask him!

- Agent Red, Founding Agent
www.thewinespies.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Agent Red" > wrote in message
[...]

OK, I give. I've read all of Agent Red's tasting notes but many of his
(her?) wines are not available in my area (US Northeast). Are the wines
available only from the wineries? What is the point of the TNs if you can't
find the wines?

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
Agent Red > wrote:

> [...]
> blown out by an over-the-top example, this wine is strongly
> recommended. Present here are beautiful aromas, rich and lucious
> flavors, a fantastic mouth-feel and a super long finish. These all add
> up to deliver a wine that is exciting to drink and a pleasure to
> share. We first encountered Random Ridge fruit (found in this wine,
> too) from Random Ridge Winery and wine legend, Bill Hawley, when we
> featured his wine earlier this year. Bill grows fruit at the highest-
> possible elevation in Napa, on his estate vineyards, at the tippy-top
> of Mt. Veeder. Bill¹s influence and that of his incredible fruit are
> aparent in this wine. So, too, is the Mayo Reserve signature style;
> The wine has a bold and big character * kinda like our friend Jeffrey
> Mayo * but you also find a special lush quality to the wine. Is Jeff a

Just tasted this at the winery and my notes are totally different. I
found this to be too much fruit and the over the top Napa style of jam
that can be tiring. There was zero subtlety to this wine. I am all for
the occasional bottle of CA whatever that is totally over the top much
like the Aussie syrahs but this winery was way over the top for me.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 22, 10:26*am, "Evan Keel" > wrote:
> [...]
> share. We first encountered Random Ridge fruit (found in this wine,
> too) from Random Ridge Winery and wine legend, Bill Hawley, when we
> featured his wine earlier this year. Bill grows fruit at the highest-
> possible elevation in Napa, on his estate vineyards, at the tippy-top
> of Mt. Veeder. Bill’s influence and that of his incredible fruit are
> aparent in this wine. So, too, is the Mayo Reserve signature style;
> The wine has a bold and big character – kinda like our friend Jeffrey
> Mayo – but you also find a special lush quality to the wine. Is Jeff a
> lush? You’ll have to ask him!
>
> - Agent Red, Founding Agentwww.thewinespies.com
>
> OK, I give. I've read all of Agent Red's tasting notes but many of his
> (her?) wines are not available in my area (US Northeast). Are the wines
> available only from the wineries? What is the point of the TNs if you can't

Hi Evan,

This wine is available at www.thewinespies.com today, but also ongoing
at the winery's website. I have shortened the url: http://micurl.com/orn21l

Best,

Agent Red, Founding Partner
The Wine Spies
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Agent Red" > wrote in message
> [...]
> possible elevation in Napa, on his estate vineyards, at the tippy-top
> of Mt. Veeder. Bill’s influence and that of his incredible fruit are
> aparent in this wine. So, too, is the Mayo Reserve signature style;
> The wine has a bold and big character – kinda like our friend Jeffrey
> Mayo – but you also find a special lush quality to the wine. Is Jeff a
> lush? You’ll have to ask him!
>
> - Agent Red, Founding Agentwww.thewinespies.com
>
> OK, I give. I've read all of Agent Red's tasting notes but many of his
> (her?) wines are not available in my area (US Northeast). Are the wines
> available only from the wineries? What is the point of the TNs if you

can't
> find the wines?

>Hi Evan,

>This wine is available at www.thewinespies.com today, but also ongoing
>at the winery's website. I have shortened the url:

So let me understand this: The tasting notes are for wines you sell? And
this is OK with alt.food.wine? What am I missing here?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 22, 1:01*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> [...]

> > possible elevation in Napa, on his estate vineyards, at the tippy-top
> > of Mt. Veeder. Bill¹s influence and that of his incredible fruit are
> > aparent in this wine. So, too, is the Mayo Reserve signature style;
> > The wine has a bold and big character * kinda like our friend Jeffrey
> > Mayo * but you also find a special lush quality to the wine. Is Jeff a
> > lush? You¹ll have to ask him!

> > - Agent Red, Founding Agent
> >www.thewinespies.com

> Just tasted this at the winery and my notes are totally different. I
> found this to be too much fruit and the over the top Napa style of jam
> that can be tiring. There was zero subtlety to this wine. I am all for
> the occasional bottle of CA whatever that is totally over the top much
> like the Aussie syrahs but this winery was way over the top for me.

Hi Lawrence,

I appreciate the feedback.

When I review a wine, I usually spend a full day or even two with a
wine.

I agree that, on opening, this wine shows as brash. With extended
decanting, the wine transforms and clams down significantly. Is this
a problem for those expecting to be able to enjoy a wine right when
they pop open a bottle? Perhaps. When a wine gets better with
decanting, we place an alert on our site, as we did with this wine.

If you ever spot a wine on The Wine Spies, please feel free to post
your own review, right beneath the listing.

Top Secret regards,

Sir Agent Red, Founding Partner
The Wine Spies
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 22, 2:05*pm, "Evan Keel" > wrote:
> [...]

> > Mayo – but you also find a special lush quality to the wine. Is Jeff a
> > lush? You’ll have to ask him!

> > - Agent Red, Founding Agentwww.thewinespies.com

> > OK, I give. I've read all of Agent Red's tasting notes but many of his
> > (her?) wines are not available in my area (US Northeast). Are the wines
> > available only from the wineries? What is the point of the TNs if you

> can't
> > find the wines?
> >Hi Evan,
> >This wine is available atwww.thewinespies.comtoday, but also ongoing
> >at the winery's website. *I have shortened the url:

> http://micurl.com/orn21l
>
> >Best,
> >Agent Red, Founding Partner
> >The Wine Spies

> So let me understand this: The tasting notes are for wines you sell? And
> this is OK with alt.food.wine? *What am I missing here?

Before I ever started posting my reviews here, I did send a message to
the group to inquire as to etiquette. The replies I received seemed
to all be quite positive.

Here is my original post, with replies: http://micurl.com/1sy0m4

I am always respectful of posting rules, and if I have violated any,
please let me know.

Best,

Agent Red
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Agent Red" > wrote in message
> [...]

> can't
> > find the wines?
> >Hi Evan,
> >This wine is available atwww.thewinespies.comtoday, but also ongoing
> >at the winery's website. I have shortened the url:

> http://micurl.com/orn21l
>
> >Best,
> >Agent Red, Founding Partner
> >The Wine Spies

> So let me understand this: The tasting notes are for wines you sell? And
> this is OK with alt.food.wine? What am I missing here?

>Before I ever started posting my reviews here, I did send a message to
>the group to inquire as to etiquette. The replies I received seemed
>to all be quite positive.

>Here is my original post, with replies: http://micurl.com/1sy0m4

>I am always respectful of posting rules, and if I have violated any,

I saw your original post. . Any TNs for something you don't sell?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 22, 2:49*pm, "Evan Keel" > wrote:
> [...]

> > >at the winery's website. I have shortened the url:

> >http://micurl.com/orn21l

> > >Best,
> > >Agent Red, Founding Partner
> > >The Wine Spies

> > So let me understand this: The tasting notes are for wines you sell? And
> > this is OK with alt.food.wine? What am I missing here?
> >Before I ever started posting my reviews here, I did send a message to
> >the group to inquire as to etiquette. *The replies I received seemed
> >to all be quite positive.
> >Here is my original post, with replies:http://micurl.com/1sy0m4
> >I am always respectful of posting rules, and if I have violated any,
> >please let me know.
> >Best,
> >Agent Red

> I saw your original post. . Any TNs for something you don't sell?

Yes! In fact I plan to post some in August. Or sooner, now that you
remind me!

That said, however, since I review at least 365 wines a year for The
Wine Spies, I don't do too many TNs for wines that we don't sell. I
simply don't have the time.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Have you ever reviewed El Molino wines..they are my favorite Chard from
California.

"Agent Red" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > So let me understand this: The tasting notes are for wines you sell? And
> > this is OK with alt.food.wine? What am I missing here?
> >Before I ever started posting my reviews here, I did send a message to
> >the group to inquire as to etiquette. The replies I received seemed
> >to all be quite positive.
> >Here is my original post, with replies:http://micurl.com/1sy0m4
> >I am always respectful of posting rules, and if I have violated any,
> >please let me know.
> >Best,
> >Agent Red

> I saw your original post. . Any TNs for something you don't sell?

Yes! In fact I plan to post some in August. Or sooner, now that you
remind me!

That said, however, since I review at least 365 wines a year for The
Wine Spies, I don't do too many TNs for wines that we don't sell. I

Posted to alt.food.wine

You *******! A top poster?

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
m...
> Have you ever reviewed El Molino wines..they are my favorite Chard from
> California.
>

> "Agent Red" > wrote in message
> On Jul 22, 2:49 pm, "Evan Keel" > wrote:
> > "Agent Red" > wrote in message

> > On Jul 22, 2:05 pm, "Evan Keel" > wrote:

but

red.

seems

Read

that

Room

violet,

love

be

add

highest-

tippy-top

Jeffrey

his

you
> > > can't

> > >http://micurl.com/orn21l

> > > So let me understand this: The tasting notes are for wines you sell?

And
> > > this is OK with alt.food.wine? What am I missing here?
> > >Before I ever started posting my reviews here, I did send a message to
> > >the group to inquire as to etiquette. The replies I received seemed
> > >to all be quite positive.
> > >Here is my original post, with replies:http://micurl.com/1sy0m4
> > >I am always respectful of posting rules, and if I have violated any,
> > >please let me know.
> > >Best,
> > >Agent Red

> > I saw your original post. . Any TNs for something you don't sell?

> Yes! In fact I plan to post some in August. Or sooner, now that you
> remind me!
>
> That said, however, since I review at least 365 wines a year for The
> Wine Spies, I don't do too many TNs for wines that we don't sell. I
> simply don't have the time.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Evan, what do you mean by a Top Poster?

"Evan Keel" > wrote in message
> You *******! A top poster?
>
> "Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Have you ever reviewed El Molino wines..they are my favorite Chard from
>> California.
>>

>> "Agent Red" > wrote in message
>> On Jul 22, 2:49 pm, "Evan Keel" > wrote:

> but

> red.

> seems

> Read

> that

> Room

> violet,

> love

> be

> add

> highest-

> tippy-top

> Jeffrey

> his

> you

> And
>> >
>> > I saw your original post. . Any TNs for something you don't sell?

>> Yes! In fact I plan to post some in August. Or sooner, now that you
>> remind me!
>>
>> That said, however, since I review at least 365 wines a year for The
>> Wine Spies, I don't do too many TNs for wines that we don't sell. I
>> simply don't have the time.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Agent Red" wrote ........

> Before I ever started posting my reviews here, I did send
> a message to the group to inquire as to etiquette.
>
> The replies I received seemed to all be quite positive.

Yes, and there were several provisos, weren't there?

The major concern expressed was the fine line between a commercial post and
a discussion topic.

Furthermore, I for one pointed out that "this Newsgroup is one of the most
international in stature", and that you should consider "the fact that we
have people from France, Austria, Scandinavia, Australia, New Zealand,
Canada and many
other places contributing."

It has been expressed that several contributors find the "secret agent" tone
of your postings quite infantile and tiresome (my thoughts) - you undertook
to cut the "operative/mission accomplished" crap, a promise upon which you
have reneged.

I judge your postings thus - is this a genuine discussion topic, or are you
trying to sell something?

I fear the tone and tenor is directed towards the latter - thus is more
commercial than should be permitted.

Just my $0.02.

st.helier

(p.s. - FYI, I am in New Zealand and, personally find your posts tiresome
and irrelevant to the extent that I shall probably kill file "Agent Red" as
my best remedy)

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Furthermore, I for one pointed out that "this Newsgroup is one of the most
> international in stature", and that you should consider "the fact that we
> have people from France, Austria, Scandinavia, Australia, New Zealand,
> Canada and many
> other places contributing."

and me UK ;-)
BTW, agree with you St H re Agent Red and the tone of the posting,
paragraphs of crap when two words would do.

JT

Posted to alt.food.wine

"John T" > wrote:

>> Furthermore, I for one pointed out that "this Newsgroup is one
>> of the most international in stature", and that you should
>> consider "the fact that we have people from France, Austria,
>> Scandinavia, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and many other
>> places contributing."

> and me UK ;-) BTW, agree with you St H re Agent Red and the tone
> of the posting, paragraphs of crap when two words would do.

Then count those (e.g. myself, based in Austria) whose mother
tongue is not English. I didn't even understand a single word
of Agent Red's postings.

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
"John T" > wrote:

> > Furthermore, I for one pointed out that "this Newsgroup is one of the most
> > international in stature", and that you should consider "the fact that we
> > have people from France, Austria, Scandinavia, Australia, New Zealand,
> > Canada and many
> > other places contributing."

> and me UK ;-)
> BTW, agree with you St H re Agent Red and the tone of the posting,
> paragraphs of crap when two words would do.
>
> JT

Well, I watch Wine Library TV and he obviously sells wine but his
reviews are frank and he pans wines he thinks are not up to his tastes
and tells you what he thinks of wines that he sells so it is not pumping
sales. This Agent Red with the secret agent conceit seems to love every
wine he sells and that really isn't possible so I'm not sure the wasted
space here is necessary. He reviewed a wine from the Mayo Family as
wonderful and I found all of their wines to be barely drinkable so I
take it with a big grain of salt.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> Michael Pronay wrote:

>>> and me UK ;-) BTW, agree with you St H re Agent Red and the tone
>>> of the posting, paragraphs of crap when two words would do.

>> Then count those (e.g. myself, based in Austria) whose mother
>> tongue is not English. I didn't even understand a single word of Agent
>> Red's postings.

> The guy runs a web site on wine and is trying to get his ratings up,
> even plugged his site.
>
> AFW helped.
>
> He should thank AFW.

Here's another French chime in. I find the secret agent stuff sophomoric
and offensive in the international context. Obviously the site and
reviews are
intended for an Americanocentric audience. Though I like to see reviews
of CA
wines even when I can't get them, this stuff reads like pure salesmanship.

Red, just give us the tasting notes -- the bad with the good -- and cut the
rest of the chaff.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 23, 4:06*pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Mike Tommasi wrote:
> > Michael Pronay wrote:

> >> Then count those (e.g. myself, based in Austria) whose mother
> >> tongue is not English. I didn't even understand a single word of Agent
> >> Red's postings.

> > The guy runs a web site on wine and is trying to get his ratings up,
> > even plugged his site.

> > AFW helped.

> > He should thank AFW.

> Here's another French chime in. *I find the secret agent stuff sophomoric
> and offensive in the international context. *Obviously the site and
> reviews are
> intended for an Americanocentric audience. *Though I like to see reviews
> of CA
> wines even when I can't get them, this stuff reads like pure salesmanship..
>
> Red, just give us the tasting notes -- the bad with the good -- and cut the
> rest of the chaff.
>
> -E

HI Emery,

We review dozens of wines each week to find only the best wines. We
are offered hundreds of wines each month and reject most. Thousands
of repeat customers love and trust our in-depth reviews. Of course,
to each his own. We all have personal taste and our members trust
ours.

As for posting reviews here, I will keep it to just the core tasting
notes as some of you have so kindly suggested.

- Agent Red
Posted to alt.food.wine

Agent Red wrote:
> On Jul 23, 4:06 pm, Emery Davis > wrote:

[] get them, this stuff reads like pure salesmanship.

>> Red, just give us the tasting notes -- the bad with the good -- and cut the
>> rest of the chaff.
>>
>> -E

> HI Emery,
>
> We review dozens of wines each week to find only the best wines. We
> are offered hundreds of wines each month and reject most. Thousands
> of repeat customers love and trust our in-depth reviews. Of course,
> to each his own. We all have personal taste and our members trust
> ours.

I think it is legitimate when a critic likes wines that I don't. When I
read that
Parker gushes about "gobs of jammy fruit" that's a useful data point for
me: I know I probably won't enjoy the wine much. So Larry has discovered
something, which is that if you like it (in a certain way) he probably
won't.
Those of us here who's tastes align with Larry's will also find this
information
useful.

I think it normal that your customers love and trust your reviews, because
otherwise they'd buy wine elsewhere. That doesn't mean that folks on AFW
will agree.

Furthermore those of us with a fair amount of experience, both in
tasting and
with producers and journalists -- not to mention those contributors that are
producers or journalists -- recognize the concept of a "useful wine." These
are the wines we drink, they go well with food, they have aspects that are
not perfect. Those are of interest along with the completely positive
aspects
of the wine.

Once in a while we meet a wine that causes us to gush over it, but certainly
not in every tasting note... That's why I suggested that your reviews read
more like marketing than tasting notes. I understand (as an American even
if expat) that there is a cultural bias there, but even still.

> As for posting reviews here, I will keep it to just the core tasting
> notes as some of you have so kindly suggested.

I'm sure that will be appreciated. If you keep references to your site
confined
to your sig, and mention (as Bill or Emily do when they post notes on a wine
they represent) that you sell the wine, there should be no problem.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi,

I'm another of the "foreign" contingent.

I'm really sorry but I agree with those who found your review style
more suitable for MAD than for AFW.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:09:58 -0700 (PDT), Agent Red
> wrote:

>> > Conclusion * This is an incredible Cabernet Sauvignon that is ready to
>> > drink now

Okay, but now you say:-

>I agree that, on opening, this wine shows as brash. With extended
>decanting, the wine transforms and clams down significantly. Is this
>a problem for those expecting to be able to enjoy a wine right when
>they pop open a bottle? Perhaps. When a wine gets better with
>decanting, we place an alert on our site, as we did with this wine.

So why not say this in your initial review?
"Brash and possibly over jammy for some tastes when first opened,
after decanting and leaving over night the wine calmed down and showed
itself as the thoroughbred it is rumoured to be."

See what I mean? Your "review" reads to me, as a cynical old man as
marketing more than review. So, to avoid giving yourself and your
wines a bad name here, I think you should eliminate the adolescent
agentspeak, and try to give a review that is shorter, and better
balanced.

Sorry, but you obviously care deeply about your wines, and it would be
a shame if your enthusiasm got in the way of your acceptance here.
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges