Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1970 Lynch Bages, 2005 Chave Hermitage

I grilled wild boar tenderloins from D'Artagnan last night and opened
my last bottle of 1970 Chateau Lynch Bages. The wine looked quite
young and was still dark purple with just a hint of brick. Plenty of
typical Pauillac aromas with lead pencil, cedar and leather. Plenty
of cassis on the palate and still a bit tannic. The wine showed well
with the boar. A dinner guest brought a bottle of 2005 Chave
Hermitage Rouge and opened it to go with the boar....I had opened the
LB just before dinner. The Chave was brilliantly reddish purple and a
bit thick in the glass. Bacon fat, smoke and blueberries dominated
the nose. The wine was initially a monster on the palate but it
smoothed out after an hour or so in the decanter showing a ton of
black fruits, tar and black pepper spice. I thought it was
infanticide but it wasn't my call. A solid "B=" on the LB and an "A"
on the Chave.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 19, 8:59�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I grilled wild boar tenderloins from D'Artagnan last night and opened
> my last bottle of 1970 Chateau Lynch Bages. �The wine looked quite
> young and was still dark purple with just a hint of brick. �Plenty of
> typical Pauillac aromas with lead pencil, cedar and leather. �Plenty
> of cassis on the palate and still a bit tannic. �The wine showed well
> with the boar. �A dinner guest brought a bottle of 2005 Chave
> Hermitage Rouge and opened it to go with the boar....I had opened the
> LB just before dinner. �The Chave was brilliantly reddish purple and a
> bit thick in the glass. �Bacon fat, smoke and blueberries dominated
> the nose. �The wine was initially a monster on the palate but it
> smoothed out after an hour or so in the decanter showing a ton of
> black fruits, tar and black pepper spice. �I thought it was
> infanticide but it wasn't my call. �A solid "B=" on the LB and an "A"
> on the Chave.

I've had variable '70 Lynch Bages (very good to so-so), but
understandable due to storage/shipping issues.
Chave is just not affordable any more.

Last 1990 Lynch Bages Bi!! Wine 5 24-04-2013 02:09 PM
TN: Lynch Bages 1970 to 2000 DaleW Wine 4 03-04-2010 12:10 AM
TN: 1989 Ch. Lynch-Bages MarcB Wine 7 04-10-2007 06:01 AM
TN: 1997 Lynch-Bages Mark Lipton Wine 0 03-09-2005 06:50 AM
TN: Lynch Bages, 1970-2000 Dale Williams Wine 2 23-03-2004 01:41 PM