Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Summery wines: Rheinhessen, Loire, Lambrusco, Rosado, NZ

Betsy is in NH for some concerts, so Tuesday I just raided fridge for
leftovers. Wine was the 2007 Keller Kabinett (Rheinhessen).Keller has
been getting lots of buzz, this is my first try. I quite like. Fruit
is an interesting blend of peaches, cherries, and lime zest. There's a
mineral note, a little more flinty than say a Mosel slatiness. Good
length for level, straightforward clean acids, clean and pure. B+

Wednesday was warm, but gorgeous with low humidity. I put together a
couple of salads (caprese and green), some cheeses, soppresata and
bresaolo and headed for waterfront. One of those nights where everyone
seemed to come out- I was meeting 2 friends at concert, but our group
expanded to about 2 dozen. Lovely night, and we sat around after
concert for more than an hour, till it was total darkness. Lots of
sharing and laughter, only needed Betsy to be perfect. Some wines were
of course sampled:

2007 Chivite "Gran Fuedo" Rosado
I've quite liked this in past, this vintage came across as a little
bigger and sterner. Framboise flavors with moderate acidity, ok value
at $9-10 (this used to be alovely light rosé for $5!). B/B-

NV Cleto Chiarli "Vigneto Enrico Cialdini" Lambrusco Grasparossa di
Castelvetro
I'm a fool for Lambrusco and cured meats. Blackberries and a little
Concord grape, just a hint of sweetness, light froth. Ripe tannins, a
nice bitter edge to the finish. B+

2006 Crossroads "Destination" Sauvignon Blanc
Very SBish, gooseberry/catpee and a little hint of hot pepper. A bit
short on finish, not much depth. B-

2006 Ch.Soucherie Rosé de Loire (producer- Soucherie/Tijou- is only in
tiny print)
Very fragile, gentle strawberry fruit in a lightweight package. A nice
apertif

2006 Cézin Coteaux du Loir Blanc
Apple fruit with a little edge of clover honey. Light to midweight,
not a lot of length, but clean and tasty. B-/B

Ruggeri Spago Prosecco
A little residual sugar, bright apple fruit, not complex but certainly
drinkable. B-

Fun night.

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

Interesting notes, particularly on the Keller. I had one of his
Spatlesen from one of his better regarded vineyards (Dalsheimer
Hubacker) and still didn't see what the fuss was about. Price for the
wine wasn't too bad (found it at a huge sale, paid about $17, so no
complaints) - but given the hype I'm hearing about Keller (with people
going as far as to put him on the pedestal of Donnhoff, Schaefer and
co.), I wonder what I'm missing...
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
[]

> 2006 Cézin Coteaux du Loir Blanc
> Apple fruit with a little edge of clover honey. Light to midweight,
> not a lot of length, but clean and tasty. B-/B

Hi Dale,

Glad you got a chance to try this. It's the entry white that Fresneau
makes,
but a real work horse at ~3 EU. We use it for one of the house whites,
from cooking to
quaffing. Still on the 2005 here which is more structured as you would
imagine.

The Jasnieres are more complex, again as you'd expect.

Got to make a trip down there soon, it's only about an hour in the car
from here.

-E