Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2001 La Jota Howell Mtn Cabernet 2005 J J Prum Riesling WehlenerSonnenuhr Auslese

I spent the weekend at my farm where my cellar is a bit limited. I
grilled a Berkshire pork loin with a bit of spice rub and served it
with the 2005 J. J. Prum Riesling Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese. The
wine is quite light in the glass and the nose is quite pure with apple
and pear with a slight floral edge. While light in body the palate is
intense yet soft with fresh apples, a bit of white peach and
honeysuckle. The acidity is tucked in to the lushness of the wine and
while sweet it is far from cloying. I found myself having to restrain
my self from gulping this wine. "A+"

With Grilled NY Strip I opened a 2001 La Jota Howell Mountain
Cabernet. The source of this fruit was somewhat eveident given the
huge fruit component of this wine. It had the color and viscosity and
aroma of blackberry brandy. It was deeply concentrated on the palate
and quite hot even thought the label stated a 14.1% alcohol. The meat
didn't stand a chance with this wine. The palate was black fruit
driven and quite ripe with a bit of sweetness and the tannins were
quite soft and plush. Not my style of wine. "B-/C+"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 14, 9:24�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I spent the weekend at my farm where my cellar is a bit limited. �I
> grilled a Berkshire pork loin with a bit of spice rub and served it
> with the 2005 J. J. Prum Riesling Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese. �The
> wine is quite light in the glass and the nose is quite pure with apple
> and pear with a slight floral edge. �While light in body the palate is
> intense yet soft with fresh apples, a bit of white peach and
> honeysuckle. �The acidity is tucked in to the lushness of the wine and
> while sweet it is far from cloying. �I found myself having to restrain
> my self from gulping this wine. "A+"
>
> With Grilled NY Strip I opened a 2001 La Jota Howell Mountain
> Cabernet. �The source of this fruit was somewhat eveident given the
> huge fruit component of this wine. �It had the color and viscosity and
> aroma of blackberry brandy. �It was deeply concentrated on the palate
> and quite hot even thought the label stated a 14.1% alcohol. The meat
> didn't stand a chance with this wine. �The palate was black fruit
> driven and quite ripe with a bit of sweetness and the tannins were
> quite soft and plush. �Not my style of wine. "B-/C+"

My heart bleeds for you, stuck on a farm where your wine choices are
limited- to things like JJ Prum.
thanks for notes.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 14, 4:31Â*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Jul 14, 9:24�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > I spent the weekend at my farm where my cellar is a bit limited. �I
> > grilled a Berkshire pork loin with a bit of spice rub and served it
> > with the 2005 J. J. Prum Riesling Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese. �The
> > wine is quite light in the glass and the nose is quite pure with apple
> > and pear with a slight floral edge. �While light in body the palate is
> > intense yet soft with fresh apples, a bit of white peach and
> > honeysuckle. �The acidity is tucked in to the lushness of the wine and
> > while sweet it is far from cloying. �I found myself having to restrain
> > my self from gulping this wine. "A+"

> > With Grilled NY Strip I opened a 2001 La Jota Howell Mountain
> > Cabernet. �The source of this fruit was somewhat eveident given the
> > huge fruit component of this wine. �It had the color and viscosity and
> > aroma of blackberry brandy. �It was deeply concentrated on the palate
> > and quite hot even thought the label stated a 14.1% alcohol. The meat
> > didn't stand a chance with this wine. �The palate was black fruit
> > driven and quite ripe with a bit of sweetness and the tannins were
> > quite soft and plush. �Not my style of wine. "B-/C+"

> My heart bleeds for you, stuck on a farm where your wine choices are
> limited- to things like JJ Prum.
> thanks for notes.- Hide quoted text -

What I meant was that I stock my small storage cellar at the farm from
my home cellar so I have a bottle of this and a bottle of that but a
whole bunch of non-discript drinkers like Kelham SB or Chimney Rock
Fume Blanc or Regusi Cab. You get the idea....
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:

> With Grilled NY Strip I opened a 2001 La Jota Howell Mountain
> Cabernet. The source of this fruit was somewhat eveident given the
> huge fruit component of this wine. It had the color and viscosity and
> aroma of blackberry brandy. It was deeply concentrated on the palate
> and quite hot even thought the label stated a 14.1% alcohol. The meat
> didn't stand a chance with this wine. The palate was black fruit
> driven and quite ripe with a bit of sweetness and the tannins were
> quite soft and plush. Not my style of wine. "B-/C+"

This is quite a depressing note, Bill. In times past (like the '80s) I
used to find La Jota Cabs quite drinkable and old school in style. From
what you write here, that is no longer the case. Another Napa winery
gives in to the Dark Side...

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 14, 10:00�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
> > With Grilled NY Strip I opened a 2001 La Jota Howell Mountain
> > Cabernet. �The source of this fruit was somewhat eveident given the
> > huge fruit component of this wine. �It had the color and viscosity and
> > aroma of blackberry brandy. �It was deeply concentrated on the palate
> > and quite hot even thought the label stated a 14.1% alcohol. The meat
> > didn't stand a chance with this wine. �The palate was black fruit
> > driven and quite ripe with a bit of sweetness and the tannins were
> > quite soft and plush. �Not my style of wine. "B-/C+"

> This is quite a depressing note, Bill. �In times past (like the '80s) I
> used to find La Jota Cabs quite drinkable and old school in style. �From
> what you write here, that is no longer the case. �Another Napa winery
> gives in to the Dark Side...
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

At the time that this wine was made La Jota was owned by Markham and I
think they made the wines in their particular style. I recall
visiting the vineyards a few years ago which were originally planted
by Bill Smith. The winemakeer from Markham was making the wines at
that time and they were huge. SInce then the winery was sold so
perhaps they now have a little more restraint.