Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] 2005 Movia Pinot Grigio

Tonight, Jean and I enjoyed a rare night out together, and we used it to
go to a restaurant in Indianapolis that we'd not yet been to:
L'Explorateur, a place with seemingly big ambitions that specialized in
creative preparations using locally sourced ingredients. With the meal,
we ordered a few wines off their decent but not exceptional list. With
our amuse (scallop sashimi with wasabi tobiko, scallions and ginger) and
first courses (hamachi carpaccio and scallop ceviche) we got a fairly
forgeettable glass of Blanc de Blanc Champagne from a producer whose
name was unfamiliar to me. After our second course of a zarzuela
(bouillabaise-like shellfish stew with Spanish chorizo and fennel), we
got our main courses (Halibut with tomato coulis for Jean and trout with
a smoked chicken risotto for me) and a bottle of:

2005 Movia Pinot Grigio (Brda, Slovenia)
nose: pineapple and minerals
palate: medium body, crisp entry, slight creaminess, citrus

Among another 20 or so rather undistinguished white wines, this wine
stood out for me. Like yet unlike many other Pinot Gris/Grigios we've
had, it had the pineapple and rich mouthfeel that I associate with the
Oregon version of the grape, yet retained enough acidity to pair well
with the fish. The wine brought out the licorice-like elements in the
fennel of various dishes, and wasn't overwhelmed by horseradish.
Overall, quite a successful wine for our dinner, which was quite fine.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" wrote in message

> L'Explorateur, a place with seemingly big ambitions that specialized in
> creative preparations using locally sourced ingredients.

Fish & shellfish locally sourced, in Indianapolis?

Somewhat surprised, although my Nth American geography
isn't great.

greybeard (from the the maritime realm of his lordship; St H)

Posted to alt.food.wine

greybeard wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" wrote in message
>

>>L'Explorateur, a place with seemingly big ambitions that specialized in
>>creative preparations using locally sourced ingredients.

> Fish & shellfish locally sourced, in Indianapolis?
>
> Somewhat surprised, although my Nth American geography
> isn't great.

Touché. Yes, the seafood was not local (obviously), but most of the
other ingredients (from what they say) are. I'm just reading what they
write, not vetting the information.

Mark Lipton

TN: Oak Leaf Pinot Grigio Godzilla Wine 0 10-05-2011 03:33 PM
Pinot Grigio will never be the same aesthete8 Wine 0 13-10-2010 07:12 PM
Pinot Grigio dickr2 Wine 24 24-11-2009 10:45 PM
Pinot Grigio Advice wanted bobdrob[_2_] Winemaking 1 09-09-2009 11:20 AM
TN: Lageder 2002 Pinot Grigio Rich R Wine 1 07-07-2004 08:16 AM