FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: 2 inexpensive Bordeaux (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/158557-tn-2-inexpensive-bordeaux.html)

DaleW 12-07-2008 06:50 PM

TN: 2 inexpensive Bordeaux

We went to dinner at the new home of a violist friend of Betsy's,
joined by Sue's luthier (not sure I've ever used that word in a TN
before). Assorted cheeses, tilapia, spaghetti with red sauce, and two
Bordeaux:

1998 Ch. Clos Magne Figeac (St Emilion)
A little barnyard, touch of earth, but mostly rather flat/tired black
plum fruit. Not particularly acidic, but what acids there are seem
unintegrated. A little green pepper, surprising for a '98 Right
Banker. Actually revives a bit with air, shows some tobacco and
livelier fruit, but mostly uninteresting. C+/B-

2001 Ch. Greysac (Medoc)
Well, here's a surprise. I didn't expect much here, but this is a
fairly solid bottle of Bdx. Midweight, black plums and currants, a
distinct note of pencil shavings and a touch of smoke. Light
integrated tannins, enough acids to keep the fruit lively, decent
length. I'd happily have this on my dinner table. B

Good night, though some of the classical music gossip went over my
head (as did extended discussions on sound post adjustments and the
market for antique bows and Amatis, etc).

*