Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Napa Valley Survives Frost, Fires.

I speak with wineries around the country every day. Lately, I have
been talking with an increasing number of Napa wineries. I always
make it a point to ask them what is happening in the vineyards.
Overwhelmingly, they tell me of either frost or fires.

Most wineries escaped the unusual frost of last may, but one that I
spoke with just today told me that she lost 50% of her beautiful
fruit.

When discussing the fires around California, most wineries are
unaffected. Incredibly, one winery told me that the real danger, to
Chardonnay grapes in particular, comes from rains that occur while
there is a great deal of smoke in the air. A few years back, the
rains came during a particularly smokey day - and the winemaker and
vineyard manager watch, helplessly, as their young Chardonnay grapes
literally melted!

I am happy to report that, for the most part, the grapes and vineyards
are in great shape. There is a great deal of new plantings taking
place and it looks like the 2008 vintage, while a tiny bit smaller,
will be a great one.

- Agent Red
Posted to alt.food.wine

Your lady winemaker friend might feel a little better if she heard my pal's
tale of woe.
Arriving at dusk to his 300 acre hobby farm in Western Australia to pick his
lovely crop of prize-winning Sangiovese grapes, he could see in the failing
light his vines with their bunches of grapes.
Or so he thought.
The morning light revealed that thirsty kangaroos had kicked down his 6 foot
fence and literally sucked each grape dry.
I suppose they didn't have a taste for the tannins.

"Agent Red" > wrote in message
>I speak with wineries around the country every day. Lately, I have
> been talking with an increasing number of Napa wineries. I always
> make it a point to ask them what is happening in the vineyards.
> Overwhelmingly, they tell me of either frost or fires.
>
> Most wineries escaped the unusual frost of last may, but one that I
> spoke with just today told me that she lost 50% of her beautiful
> fruit.
>
> When discussing the fires around California, most wineries are
> unaffected. Incredibly, one winery told me that the real danger, to
> Chardonnay grapes in particular, comes from rains that occur while
> there is a great deal of smoke in the air. A few years back, the
> rains came during a particularly smokey day - and the winemaker and
> vineyard manager watch, helplessly, as their young Chardonnay grapes
> literally melted!
>
> I am happy to report that, for the most part, the grapes and vineyards
> are in great shape. There is a great deal of new plantings taking
> place and it looks like the 2008 vintage, while a tiny bit smaller,
> will be a great one.
>
> - Agent Red

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 12, 12:54*am, "Potblak" > wrote:
> Your lady winemaker friend might feel a little better if she heard my pal's
> tale of woe.
> Arriving at dusk to his 300 acre hobby farm in Western Australia to pick his
> lovely crop of prize-winning Sangiovese grapes, he could see in the failing
> light his vines with their bunches of grapes.
> Or so he thought.
> The morning light revealed that thirsty kangaroos had kicked down his 6 foot
> fence and literally sucked each grape dry.
> I suppose they didn't have a taste for the tannins.
>
> "Agent Red" > wrote in message

> >I speak with wineries around the country every day. *Lately, I have
> > been talking with an increasing number of Napa wineries. *I always
> > make it a point to ask them what is happening in the vineyards.
> > Overwhelmingly, they tell me of either frost or fires.

> > Most wineries escaped the unusual frost of last may, but one that I
> > spoke with just today told me that she lost 50% of her beautiful
> > fruit.

> > When discussing the fires around California, most wineries are
> > unaffected. *Incredibly, one winery told me that the real danger, to
> > Chardonnay grapes in particular, comes from rains that occur while
> > there is a great deal of smoke in the air. *A few years back, the
> > rains came during a particularly smokey day - and the winemaker and
> > vineyard manager watch, helplessly, as their young Chardonnay grapes
> > literally melted!

> > I am happy to report that, for the most part, the grapes and vineyards
> > are in great shape. *There is a great deal of new plantings taking
> > place and it looks like the 2008 vintage, while a tiny bit smaller,
> > will be a great one.

> > - Agent Red

Time to get an electric fence!
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Agent Red" > wrote in message
On Jul 12, 12:54 am, "Potblak" > wrote:
> Your lady winemaker friend might feel a little better if she heard my
> pal's
> tale of woe.
> Arriving at dusk to his 300 acre hobby farm in Western Australia to pick
> his
> lovely crop of prize-winning Sangiovese grapes, he could see in the
> failing
> light his vines with their bunches of grapes.
> Or so he thought.
> The morning light revealed that thirsty kangaroos had kicked down his 6
> foot
> fence and literally sucked each grape dry.
> I suppose they didn't have a taste for the tannins.
>
> "Agent Red" > wrote in message

> >I speak with wineries around the country every day. Lately, I have
> > been talking with an increasing number of Napa wineries. I always
> > make it a point to ask them what is happening in the vineyards.
> > Overwhelmingly, they tell me of either frost or fires.

> > Most wineries escaped the unusual frost of last may, but one that I
> > spoke with just today told me that she lost 50% of her beautiful
> > fruit.

> > When discussing the fires around California, most wineries are
> > unaffected. Incredibly, one winery told me that the real danger, to
> > Chardonnay grapes in particular, comes from rains that occur while
> > there is a great deal of smoke in the air. A few years back, the
> > rains came during a particularly smokey day - and the winemaker and
> > vineyard manager watch, helplessly, as their young Chardonnay grapes
> > literally melted!

> > I am happy to report that, for the most part, the grapes and vineyards
> > are in great shape. There is a great deal of new plantings taking
> > place and it looks like the 2008 vintage, while a tiny bit smaller,
> > will be a great one.

> > - Agent Red

Time to get an electric fence!

I don't think Roos take too much notice of non-lethal ones, they're a bit
like Homer Simpson.
Except they don't say "Doh!"

A bigger, stronger fence is now in place and the 09 vintage in eagerly
anticipated.

Their olives, incidentally need no fencing. Even the leaves are too bitter
for everything except feral goats, and they've all been caught and exported
live to India and Pakistan.

2002 Dominus Napa Valley Cab Bi!! Wine 0 07-06-2012 03:19 PM
Napa Valley Trip Dick N Wine 0 18-09-2010 11:55 PM
TN: '93 Conn Valley Vyds Est. res. Cab. (Napa, CA) Ronin[_27_] Wine 2 17-06-2008 02:01 AM
Where to Stay In Napa Valley JB Wine 31 26-10-2004 09:02 PM
Napa Valley Recommendations David Cary Wine 6 12-09-2004 04:54 AM