Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Burgess Cellars 2004 Syrah – Napa Valley

I thought that I would share another of my wine reviews here. If you
like these reviews, please let me know and I will keep posting them.

** Burgess Cellars 2004 Syrah – Napa Valley **

Mission Codename: The Eastern Slopes

Operative: Agent Red

Objective: React to the flood of reports that Burgess Vineyard has a
standout Napa Valley Syrah. If valid, secure an ample supply for our
Operatives

Mission Status: Accomplished!

Current Winery: Burgess Vineyard

Wine Subject: 2004 Syrah

Winemaker: Bill Sorenson

Backgrounder: Last month we featured another superb wine from Burgess.
It turned out to be our fastest selling wine ever. Taste any Burgess
wine and you’ll see why. Their secret? The winery says that 30 years
of winemaking experience, on their own land, tending their own fruit,
has allowed them ample time to perfect their wines. Drink any of their
wines and you will enjoy this perfection for yourself. Read Agent
Red’s tasting notes below, followed by a retelling of his original
mission report, in which he first becomes acquainted with Burgess.
Wine Spies Tasting Profile:

Look – Deep garnet to burgundy great clarity through its deep, dark
heart. The wine also has a pronounced spring to its surface and it
leaves behind slow-moving legs that crawl slowly down the glass

Smell – Beautifully aromatic with a rick blueberry, blackberry, black
currant, dusky earth, acacia and a hint of real gardenia and smoky
meats

Feel – Supple and wet and big, mouth-coating with great soft to medium
all-over-mouth tannins

Taste – Delicious layers of flavors, including dark mixed berry, black
cherry, black fig and dark plum with subtle dusted bakers chocolate

Finish – Hugely Juicy and rich, mouth-coating, delicious and supple,
with soft tannins and flavors that go on and on forever

Conclusion – Is this the perfect Syrah? We Wine Spies certainly love
it! What you get in this wine is a brilliant balance of dusky,
earthen, old-world aromatics and flavors, with bright and juicy new-
world Napa Valley fruit. This is a deeply flavorful, delicious and
richly layered wine that drinks beautifully on its own, but also pairs
perfectly with most any foods.

2008 Lewis Cellars Napa Cabernet. Bi!! Wine 0 09-08-2013 03:35 PM
2004 Albans "Reva" Vineyard Syrah Edna Valley Bi!! Wine 1 12-12-2011 09:32 PM
TN Saintsbury Reserve Carneros Chardonnay 1990 & Burgess Napa CS 1978 cwdjrxyz Wine 4 07-05-2008 06:01 PM
Where to Stay In Napa Valley JB Wine 31 26-10-2004 09:02 PM
Napa Valley Recommendations David Cary Wine 6 12-09-2004 04:54 AM