Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Why a purple tongue?

I drink mainly Italian and Spanish and French wines, mostly red.

Is there a specific reason as to why one wine will turn tongue
(sometimes teeth, and sometimes on the bottom lip dried-out spots)
purple.

Thanks.
Dee Dee
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dee Dee wrote:
> I drink mainly Italian and Spanish and French wines, mostly red.
>
> Is there a specific reason as to why one wine will turn tongue
> (sometimes teeth, and sometimes on the bottom lip dried-out spots)
> purple.

Dee Dee,
All red wine should stain some parts of your mouth purple. This
comes from the molecules (anthocyanidins) that give red wine its color
(and also give most flowers their color). Those molecules change their
color according to the acidity of their environment: in acidic
environments such as wine, they look reddish-purple; in alkaline
environments such as your mouth, they look bluish-purple. (It's just
like hydrangeas). Your tongue will be stained by tannic red wines
because those same polyphenolics that give wine its tannic bite also
give it its color, and both have a "fondness" for the oils present on
your tongue and teeth (that's also why tannic, young red wines go well
with fatty foods).

HTH
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Senior moment -- I can't remember whether the correct etiquette is to top
post or bottom post.

Thanks for your reply.
SOME turn mouth purple, some do not. I recall years ago when I drank
California wine, that was the announcement the next day -- but I notice it
more and more in some out-of-country wines that I drink. Some do-some
don't.

Certainly I don't drink wine the day before a doctor or dentist appointment.
:-))
Dee Dee

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Dee Dee wrote:
>> I drink mainly Italian and Spanish and French wines, mostly red.
>>
>> Is there a specific reason as to why one wine will turn tongue
>> (sometimes teeth, and sometimes on the bottom lip dried-out spots)
>> purple.

> Dee Dee,
> All red wine should stain some parts of your mouth purple. This comes
> from the molecules (anthocyanidins) that give red wine its color (and also
> give most flowers their color). Those molecules change their color
> according to the acidity of their environment: in acidic environments such
> as wine, they look reddish-purple; in alkaline environments such as your
> mouth, they look bluish-purple. (It's just like hydrangeas). Your tongue
> will be stained by tannic red wines because those same polyphenolics that
> give wine its tannic bite also give it its color, and both have a
> "fondness" for the oils present on your tongue and teeth (that's also why
> tannic, young red wines go well with fatty foods).
>
> HTH
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 7, 8:48�pm, Dee Dee > wrote:
> I drink mainly Italian and Spanish and French wines, mostly red.
>
> Is there a specific reason as to why one wine will turn tongue
> (sometimes teeth, and sometimes on the bottom lip dried-out spots)
> purple.
>
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Usually because it's red wine full of anthocyanins which give the
wines pigment. MMOre pigment more color. I've also noted that if you
have a coated tongue from medications or allergies that it tend to
pick up more color.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
On Jul 7, 8:48?pm, Dee Dee > wrote:
> I drink mainly Italian and Spanish and French wines, mostly red.
>
> Is there a specific reason as to why one wine will turn tongue
> (sometimes teeth, and sometimes on the bottom lip dried-out spots)
> purple.
>
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Usually because it's red wine full of anthocyanins which give the
wines pigment. MMOre pigment more color. I've also noted that if you
have a coated tongue from medications or allergies that it tend to
pick up more color.

Anthocyanin:
"any of various soluble glycoside pigments producing blue to red coloring in
flowers and plants"

But, why do some wines have more of those than others - or ones that stain.
The reason I wonder is that one cab sauv might make the tongue purple, the
lips chapped; but another might not. Now, this is a mystery to me.

Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> "Bi!!" > wrote in message

79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com..
> . On Jul 7, 8:48?pm, Dee Dee > wrote:
>> I drink mainly Italian and Spanish and French wines, mostly red.
>>
>> Is there a specific reason as to why one wine will turn tongue
>> (sometimes teeth, and sometimes on the bottom lip dried-out spots)
>> purple.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Dee Dee

> Usually because it's red wine full of anthocyanins which give the
> wines pigment. MMOre pigment more color. I've also noted that if you
> have a coated tongue from medications or allergies that it tend to
> pick up more color.
>

> Anthocyanin:
> "any of various soluble glycoside pigments producing blue to red
> coloring in flowers and plants"
>
> But, why do some wines have more of those than others - or ones that
> stain. The reason I wonder is that one cab sauv might make the tongue
> purple, the lips chapped; but another might not. Now, this is a
> mystery to me.
>
> Dee Dee

Mark L explained that the ones that are more acidic or tannic will stain
more. That makes a lower end cab not as staining as a Malbec.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
. 97.136...
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Bi!!" > wrote in message

> 79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com..
>> . On Jul 7, 8:48?pm, Dee Dee > wrote:
>>> I drink mainly Italian and Spanish and French wines, mostly red.
>>>
>>> Is there a specific reason as to why one wine will turn tongue
>>> (sometimes teeth, and sometimes on the bottom lip dried-out spots)
>>> purple.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Usually because it's red wine full of anthocyanins which give the
>> wines pigment. MMOre pigment more color. I've also noted that if you
>> have a coated tongue from medications or allergies that it tend to
>> pick up more color.
>>

>> Anthocyanin:
>> "any of various soluble glycoside pigments producing blue to red
>> coloring in flowers and plants"
>>
>> But, why do some wines have more of those than others - or ones that
>> stain. The reason I wonder is that one cab sauv might make the tongue
>> purple, the lips chapped; but another might not. Now, this is a
>> mystery to me.
>>
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Mark L explained that the ones that are more acidic or tannic will stain
> more. That makes a lower end cab not as staining as a Malbec.
>
> --
> Joseph Coulter,

Hmmm, so the fact that I found that the CA wines invariably made my mouth
stain, I will conclude that perhaps I didn't like them because they were/are
more acidic or tannic most of the time. Whereas French, Italian and
Spanish -- my preference -- may or may not cause this mouth color because
they perhaps will be less tannic and acidic.

So I perhaps will equate with "I don't like this particular wine; not
because my mouth is purple, but because it is acidic and tannic." I didn't
think it was that easy. Thanks.

Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine
Luk Luk is offline

Dee Dee ha scritto:
> I drink mainly Italian and Spanish and French wines, mostly red.
>
> Is there a specific reason as to why one wine will turn tongue
> (sometimes teeth, and sometimes on the bottom lip dried-out spots)
> purple.
>
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

The colored anthocyanines lives into the wine in different states of
polymerization with tannins. The lighter molecules are highly reactive
toward proteins of the saliva and mouth mucous. In the young wines
(where they had not time to precipitate or polymerize), mainly if not
clarified (clarification is done with gelatin, albumin or other proteins
by the same principle) and filtered, they are available to coagulate in
the saliva and bind with mouth mucous.

Luk
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 8, 10:38�pm, "Dee Randall" > wrote:
> "Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
>
> . 97.136...
>

> > "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :

> >> "Bi!!" > wrote in message

> > 79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com..

> >> Usually because it's red wine full of anthocyanins which give the
> >> wines pigment. �MMOre pigment more color. �I've also noted that if you
> >> have a coated tongue from medications or allergies that it tend to
> >> pick up more color.

> >> Anthocyanin:
> >> "any of various soluble glycoside pigments producing blue to red
> >> coloring in flowers and plants"

> >> But, why do some wines have more of those than others - or ones that
> >> stain. The reason I wonder is that one cab sauv might make the tongue
> >> purple, the lips chapped; but another might not. �Now, this is a
> >> mystery to me.

> >> Dee Dee

> > Mark L explained that the ones that are more acidic or tannic will stain
> > more. That makes a lower end cab not as staining as a Malbec.

> > --
> > Joseph Coulter,

> Hmmm, so the fact that I found that the CA wines invariably made my mouth
> stain, I will conclude that perhaps I didn't like them because they were/are
> more acidic or tannic most of the time. �Whereas French, Italian and
> Spanish -- my preference -- may or may not cause this mouth color because
> they perhaps will be less tannic and acidic.
>
> So I perhaps will equate with "I don't like this particular wine; not
> because my mouth is purple, but because it is acidic and tannic." � I didn't
> think it was that easy. �Thanks.
>
> Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

It's not that easy. Different wine makers use different techniques in
making their wines some using more or less skin contact (which is
where the color pigment is) to achieve more color and tannin but
tannins and acidity are two different components...linked but not the
same so wines can be quite acidic but have soft tannin structure or
very low acid with very stiff tannins. Ripeness, varietal
characteristics and wine making style all play a part in this.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
On Jul 8, 10:38?pm, "Dee Randall" > wrote:
> "Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
>
> . 97.136...
>

> > "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :

> >> "Bi!!" > wrote in message

> > 79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com..

> >> Usually because it's red wine full of anthocyanins which give the
> >> wines pigment. ?MMOre pigment more color. ?I've also noted that if you
> >> have a coated tongue from medications or allergies that it tend to
> >> pick up more color.

> >> Anthocyanin:
> >> "any of various soluble glycoside pigments producing blue to red
> >> coloring in flowers and plants"

> >> But, why do some wines have more of those than others - or ones that
> >> stain. The reason I wonder is that one cab sauv might make the tongue
> >> purple, the lips chapped; but another might not. ?Now, this is a
> >> mystery to me.

> >> Dee Dee

> > Mark L explained that the ones that are more acidic or tannic will stain
> > more. That makes a lower end cab not as staining as a Malbec.

> > --
> > Joseph Coulter,

> Hmmm, so the fact that I found that the CA wines invariably made my mouth
> stain, I will conclude that perhaps I didn't like them because they
> were/are
> more acidic or tannic most of the time. ?Whereas French, Italian and
> Spanish -- my preference -- may or may not cause this mouth color because
> they perhaps will be less tannic and acidic.
>
> So I perhaps will equate with "I don't like this particular wine; not
> because my mouth is purple, but because it is acidic and tannic." ? I
> didn't
> think it was that easy. ?Thanks.
>
> Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

It's not that easy. Different wine makers use different techniques in
making their wines some using more or less skin contact (which is
where the color pigment is) to achieve more color and tannin but
tannins and acidity are two different components...linked but not the
same so wines can be quite acidic but have soft tannin structure or
very low acid with very stiff tannins. Ripeness, varietal
characteristics and wine making style all play a part in this.

Thanks again.
At any rate, when I open and drink out of a bottle of wine that causes my
teeth and tongue to turn purple and my lips to chap, I enter that in my wine
log and don't buy it again. So maybe the answer is moot ;-))

My best,
Dee Dee

Beef Tongue SelfCenteredSnob General Cooking 16 10-12-2010 03:15 AM
Tongue Pucker Space Cowboy Tea 10 27-11-2008 03:29 AM
beef tongue Moe Jones Barbecue 2 23-08-2007 03:49 AM
Purple Cow T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 06-07-2005 03:49 AM
Smoked Tongue Reg Barbecue 3 05-01-2004 12:42 PM