Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Raveneau, Drouhin, Jaboulet, Silver Oak at Lunch

Blind tasting lunch notes. A veritable plethora of whites today,
perhaps in celebration of summer?

2004 Mastroberardino Greco di Tufo Nova Serra – grassy lemony nose,
also lemon on palate, balanced and clean. I always associate Greco
with a nose of Parmesan cheese, but this particular one resolutely
refuses to exhibit such, denying me the clue that would allow me to
identify it! No rush, but very nice now.

2004 Raveneau Chablis 1er cru Butteaux – a very nice floral/herbal
nose, very dry finish, persistent and elegant.

2007 Joie Rosé – BC wine made mostly from pinot noir and gamay with a
little pinot gris and meunier thrown in, this was the best rosé I
recall from this province. Pink, nice fruity nose, balanced and clean.

2007 Quinta Ferreira Rosé – another BC wine, with a completely
different blend, in this case, Merlot, Syrah, Malbec, Cabernet
Sauvignon, and Cabernet Franc. Green veggie nose that later developed
some grapefruit rind, it was pretty good on palate but bordered on
bizarre in the nose.

2006 Moillard Dom. du Ch. d’Eau – a Vin de Pays d’Oc wine from a
Burgundian grower. I hadn’t realized they were even doing much with
pinot noir in the Languedoc, much less that it was being done by
Burgundians. Purple edges, slight metal in nose that was otherwise
good simple fruit, but the wine became lean and leafy toward the end,
adding an interesting note of cloves as it finished.

2005 Drouhin Beaune Epenotes – it was starting to look like Burgundy
day! Lovely perfumed fruit in nose, tons of acidity, and a nice medium
weight wine on palate.

1995 Jaboulet Cornas Dom. de St. Pierre – Jaboulet makes two levels of
Cornas, a negotiant wine and this single vineyard offering. It showed
a marked tomato and white pepper element in the nose, almost like a
Bloody Mary. Fairly dark and still having plenty of tannin, it was
hitting stride and the fruit was sufficient to make it an enjoyable
bottle. This was the first bottle I’ve opened since I laid it down at
release. Patience is obviously a virtue.

1999 Colombo Cornas Les Mejeans – It probably would have been more
fair to this one to serve it ahead of the Jaboulet. While earlier
vintages of Colombos Les Ruchets go on and on (the 1991 is
particularly good), this wine has always been lighter and more
forward. Dark, slightly warm nose that included some tarry anise
notes, and so smooth that it was hard to place this as a Northern
Rhone and certainly as a Cornas.

2004 Ch. de la Colline Carminé – this merlot from Bergerac (the winery
is located in the Saussignac sub-region) was dark, with a sweet nose
brimming with cocoa, had good concentration and length and drinks very
well now, though it will no doubt develop for some time. Brought back
from a recent trip to Bergerac.

1999 Ciacci Piccolomini Ateo – this Tuscan IGT has a substantial
component of cabernet added to the sangiovese. Dark colour, high toned
sangio nose, very tasty on palate with good length. Excellent
showing.

1994 Silver Oak Alexander Valley Cabernet – I have always preferred
the Alexander to the Napa from this winery, and this one was true to
form. Big minty nose, good colour, beginning to pale at the edges.
Very harmonious on palate and with good length and persistence. Very
pleasurable cab.

1997 Concha Y Toro Don Melchor – this reserve Chilean cabernet showed
a slightly muted minty nose, and was smooth, weighty but well
balanced. Early days yet for this wine, and with more time it should
develop some interesting secondary characteristics.

So an initial whack of Burgundies, then two Cornas (when we wouldn’t
see but maybe one in a year of lunches), finishing up with some New
World content.

TN: 1982 Bdx cheapies, plus Raveneau and Godme DaleW Wine 2 01-06-2012 05:04 PM
Jaboulet La Chapelle Bill S. Wine 2 18-11-2009 10:47 AM
Raveneau, Peter Michael, Le Bon Pasteur Bi!! Wine 1 21-01-2008 04:12 PM
Diamond Creek, Silver Oak, Karl Lawrence, Havens....(lunch notes) Bill S. Wine 0 21-01-2006 04:22 PM
Jaboulet and Hugel Bill Spohn Wine 0 07-05-2004 03:39 PM