Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: 4th of July wines

Independence Day afternoon was mostly cloudy with a few periods of
sun; the rain did hold off. In early afternoon we went to some friends
for hamburgers, sausages, assorted salads, watermelon, and the reading
of the Declaration of Independence. The wines:

2006 McWilliams Chardonnay (Australia)
Oaky, a bit thin, not interesting. B-/C+

2006 DeLoach Chardonnay (Russian River Valley)
I'm not a big fan of pineapple, but have enjoyed mango/pineapple
salsa. However, I don't really care for mango/pineapple white wine,
especially doused in vanilla extract and theater "popcorn butter" Not
thin, though. C+

NV Villa Jolanda Prosecco di Valdobbiadene
Straightforward and simple bubbly, light petillance, apple fruit. B-

2007 Edmunds St. John "Bone Jolly" Gamay rose
Dry but with a sweet sense of ripe strawberries, a little flintiness,
tasty and does well with a variety of foods. B/B+

2005 McWilliams "Hanwood Estate" Shiraz
Sweett plums and brown sugar, low acid, I think others liked, I
didn't. C+

1999 Albini Merlot (Russian River Valley)
I carried this and the ESJ on theory it was a day for US wines. I'm
not a big US Merlot drinker, but I've liked this one on that
occasional time I needed to scratch that itch. Rich mocha and black
plums, a little touch of graphite, a little smoke. Full-bodied, ripe
but with enough acidity to balance, very good with a rare burger
topped with tomato. B+

We left and went home, Betsy and her mom took naps. I grilled some
skirt steak for a Thai salad, we had with a glass of the 2005 Cascina
'Tavjin Grignolino d'Asti. Rose-petal florality, crushed cherries with
a lightly bitter edge. Easy going light wine, I like. B+

It was sprinkling, but word was the village fireworks were still on.
We went to the porch of a friend's riverfront home, where a nice crowd
of adults and kids enjoyed a nice show (we could see Nyack's, also). I
also sampled:

2003 Domaine Saint Vincent *Saumur Champigny
A little trepidation as I find so many '03 French wines overripe, but
this shows ok balance. Tobacco leaf and red fruit, a hint of soil, not
bad but maybe beginning to show a little tired. B-

2006 Bogle Merlot
I've generally found the Bogle Petit Sirah and Zins to be decent
values. This however is a poster child for what is wrong (for my
tastes) with most inexpensive CA Merlots. Sweet sweet swet, with a lot
oak-chippy vanilla. Thick mouthfeel, short finish. C+

Long but friend-filled Independence Day.

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> 2006 DeLoach Chardonnay (Russian River Valley)
> I'm not a big fan of pineapple, but have enjoyed mango/pineapple
> salsa. However, I don't really care for mango/pineapple white wine,
> especially doused in vanilla extract and theater "popcorn butter" Not
> thin, though. C+

No news, I'm sure, but the DeLoach label is no longer the property of
the eponymous Mr. DeLoach, whose new winery is called Hook and Ladder
(apropos for an ex-SF fireman). I haven't heard many good things about
the DeLoach label since the change in ownership.

> 2007 Edmunds St. John "Bone Jolly" Gamay rose
> Dry but with a sweet sense of ripe strawberries, a little flintiness,
> tasty and does well with a variety of foods. B/B+

No surprise here, either.

> 2006 Bogle Merlot
> I've generally found the Bogle Petit Sirah and Zins to be decent
> values. This however is a poster child for what is wrong (for my
> tastes) with most inexpensive CA Merlots. Sweet sweet swet, with a lot
> oak-chippy vanilla. Thick mouthfeel, short finish. C+

Ack! I just nudged a friend into buying a bottle of this with the
caveat that I'd never tried their Merlot. Fortunately, it'll probably
still be better than the Merlot in the animal label bottle that he _was_
going to buy and this isn't far from his tastes, anyway.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

> DaleW wrote:
>
> > 2006 DeLoach Chardonnay (Russian River Valley)
> > I'm not a big fan of pineapple, but have enjoyed mango/pineapple
> > salsa. However, I don't really care for mango/pineapple white wine,
> > especially doused in vanilla extract and theater "popcorn butter" Not
> > thin, though. C+

> No news, I'm sure, but the DeLoach label is no longer the property of
> the eponymous Mr. DeLoach, whose new winery is called Hook and Ladder
> (apropos for an ex-SF fireman). I haven't heard many good things about
> the DeLoach label since the change in ownership.
>
> > 2007 Edmunds St. John "Bone Jolly" Gamay rose
> > Dry but with a sweet sense of ripe strawberries, a little flintiness,
> > tasty and does well with a variety of foods. B/B+

> No surprise here, either.
>
> > 2006 Bogle Merlot
> > I've generally found the Bogle Petit Sirah and Zins to be decent
> > values. This however is a poster child for what is wrong (for my
> > tastes) with most inexpensive CA Merlots. Sweet sweet swet, with a lot
> > oak-chippy vanilla. Thick mouthfeel, short finish. C+

> Ack! I just nudged a friend into buying a bottle of this with the
> caveat that I'd never tried their Merlot. Fortunately, it'll probably
> still be better than the Merlot in the animal label bottle that he _was_
> going to buy and this isn't far from his tastes, anyway.
>
> Mark Lipton

I have actually been to the DeLoach winery since they changed hands and
it was dismal.

WTN: Early July wines DaleW Wine 1 08-07-2015 03:13 PM
TN: 4th of July Wines DaleW Wine 0 05-07-2012 06:15 PM
TN 4th of July wines DALE WILLIAMS Wine 3 07-07-2007 03:23 AM
4th of July wines Lawrence Leichtman[_1_] Wine 0 05-07-2007 08:28 PM
TN: 4th of July Wines and an OT Weinerfest DaleW Wine 3 06-07-2005 11:24 AM