Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Loires, Tuscan, Provence, St Estephe

Betsy made a lemony pasta with hot pepper oil, served with grilled
breast over greens. She said it was spicy, so I went with a little RS,
choosing the 2006 F. Pinon "Cuvee Tradition" Vouvray. The lemony fruit
complemented the pasta, while the light sweetness balanced the heat.
Nice wooly/waxy Chenininity (a new word!), good length, appealing
wine. B/B+

After dinner Betsy and her mom had plans, so I went by a big party at
a friend's home for a little while. Great food spread, but I
concentrated on small tastes of some of the wines:

2006 Clos Roche Blanche "L'Arpent Rouge" Touraine
Pretty red fruit, tobacco, pine, and herbs. Nice light to mid-bodied
wine with good acidity. B+

2006 Jules Cotes de Provence rosé
slightly thin, but clean strawberry fruit. Dry and easy, possibly a
touch tired. B-

2004 Montevertine Pian del Ciampolo (Toscano IGT)
Dried cherries and flowers on nose, raspberries and bitter cherries on
palate. A little note of fresh coffee grounds, refreshing Sangiovese.
B+

2003 Graves de Pez (St. Estephe)
Beware the cheap Bordeaux you've never heard of. Be especially wary of
the ones that have common Bordeaux words in the name. Overripe yet
thin, an overwhelming sense of dullness. Guy next to me liked more
than I (of course, he also loved the Luna di Luna in the blue bottle,
I didn't have the guts to try that again). C/C+
*
Fun party, but I headed home early to family.

*

TN: Wines from Alentejo, Australia, St Estephe, and Madeira DaleW Wine 0 30-06-2016 04:38 PM
TN: Good Loires, nice St Julien, plus Ruwer, Champagne, Tuscan, OR DaleW Wine 1 17-11-2015 08:10 PM
La Fleuve St Estephe 1995 Gordon MacPherson Wine 2 05-05-2009 02:47 PM
TN: 1985 St. Estephe DaleW Wine 3 27-11-2006 08:31 AM
TN St Estephe SFWS tasting John Taverner Wine 9 13-01-2006 03:34 PM