Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: a middling bunch of wines, mostly by river

Wednesday was warm but gorgeous, with low humidity for July in NY. I
went to the waterfront concert for a picnic with friends, then joined
Betsy at her sister's home as they arrived from DC. A variety of wines
tasted:

2006 Catherine and Claude Marechal "Cuvee Antoine" Bourgogne
I love the Marechals' reds, but I just couldn't warm up to this.
Rather big, with flavors of tropical fruit, grapefruit and apricot,
part of my lack of bonding with it was just it not being what I
expected from a Bourgogne. I also got a hint of a strange tinny note
on the finish. I tried, really tried to like this, but with no
success. B-

2004 Geyerhof "Rosensteig" Grüner Veltliner (Kremstal).
High acid, lemons and minerals. A little sharp by itself, but a good
food wine. B

2006 Borgo M Pinot Grigio (Venezie, I think)
A bit thin and dilute, not much here, but inoffensive. I think Cal got
it on sale for something like $7, ok for that price. B-

2007 Ch. de Roquefort "Corail" Rosé (Cotes de Provence)
Tasty straightforward rose, light red fruits with a touch of bitter
herbs. Refreshingly light and acidic. B

2007 Ch. d'Oupia Minervois Rose
Pretty strawberry and red plum fruit, a sense of wet rocks, a very
nice rose. B+

2003 Duboeuf Moulin-a-Vent
This isn't the flower label, this one is aged in oak six months. The
oak shows with some sweet vanilla, but at least there's no banana.
Beefy for Beaujolais, quite sweet, not a lot of finish. Those who like
vanilla in their Gamay will like it more than I. B-/C+

2006 Castle Rock Pinot Noir
I'm not sure which bottling this was, and it was served ice-cold from
someone's cooler. Sweet and light pinot, not a lot there. A small
frigid pour isn't much to judge on, and they have a variety of
bottlings, but this did nothing to change my impression that like a
lot of negociant Cali bottlings, this is a victim of its early rep as
a QPR leader.

Fun night even if most wines weren't stellar, fun friends, and I'm
glad to have my wife back.

*