Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Garden Wines - Brunellos

Wine in the garden yesterday.

With ****aladiere and endive tarts:

2006 Thornhaven Gewurztraminer – sweet varietal nose, good fruit in
middle and clean end.

2007 Thornhaven Gewurztraminer – spicier nose, but less happening on
palate, druer rendition. Think I prefer the 2006.

2006 Inama Soave Classico – everything harmonious with this wine,
nothing at all out of step. Lemony clean and tasty. Too bad about the
price locally.

2007 Black Hills Alibi – BC made white Bordeaux blend (about 71% sauv
blanc, 30% Semillon). I usually leave these a year or two to mellow
out, but thought I’d try one fresh off the boat…er, bus. Lemon and a
hint of apricot and clean on palate, finishing crisply and very
pleasant now. Will be interesting to see if age adds anything with
this one. sadly, pushing over the $30 mark, I will probably not buy
this again.

With cheese mash and asparagus and a very tasty rib eye roast done on
the BBQ:

1990 Castelgiocondo Brunello – nice mature specimen with lightening
edges, still a surprising amount of tannin, but no point holding much
longer as it doesn’t have the fruit to carry it many more years.

1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello – this was showing a bit younger in the
nose than the last one I had a few months ago. Still berries and
vanilla, and smooth on palate. Don’t think it will age as long as the
90, but who cares? Great fun now and over the next 5 years.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 1, 10:35*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Wine in the garden yesterday.
>
> With ****aladiere and endive tarts:
>
> 2006 Thornhaven Gewurztraminer – sweet varietal nose, good fruit in
> middle and clean end.
>
> 2007 Thornhaven Gewurztraminer – spicier nose, but less happening on
> palate, druer rendition. Think I prefer the 2006.
>
> 2006 Inama Soave Classico – everything harmonious with this wine,
> nothing at all out of step. Lemony clean and tasty. *Too bad about the
> price locally.
>
> 2007 Black Hills Alibi – BC made white Bordeaux blend (about 71% sauv
> blanc, 30% Semillon). I usually leave these a year or two to mellow
> out, but thought I’d try one fresh off the boat…er, bus. *Lemon and a
> hint of apricot and clean on palate, finishing crisply and very
> pleasant now. * Will be interesting to see if age adds anything with
> this one. *sadly, pushing over the $30 mark, I will probably not buy
> this again.
>
> With cheese mash and asparagus and a very tasty rib eye roast done on
> the BBQ:
>
> 1990 Castelgiocondo Brunello – nice mature specimen with lightening
> edges, still a surprising amount of tannin, but no point holding much
> longer as it doesn’t have the fruit to carry it many more years.
>
> 1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello – this was showing a bit younger in the
> nose than the last one I had a few months ago. *Still berries and
> vanilla, and smooth on palate. Don’t think it will age as long as the
> 90, but who cares? *Great fun now and over the next 5 years.

thanks for notes.
Heard good things from others also re '06 Inama, have it but haven't
tried yet.

When wines go from being wine boutique wines to supermarket wines Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 5 16-05-2015 07:49 PM
TN: wines with pasta, wines with rice noodles, wines with fondue DaleW Wine 1 26-12-2006 04:23 AM
Garden Wines Bill S. Wine 1 10-09-2006 09:07 AM
A Pair of Brunellos Ed Rasimus Wine 3 20-02-2005 09:33 PM
Garden Wines Bill Spohn Wine 0 03-05-2004 03:19 PM