Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 '07 German Rieslings, 05 Bdx, '05 Macon

Betsy's mom got into NYC, in preparation for a "girl's trip" to DC
with Betsy, Betsy's sister, and niece. We had my mom-in law, sister in
law, and nephew over for dinner Saturday night. Started with a white
bean and garlic scape dip, along with the 2007 Loosen "Dr. L" Riesling
(Mosel). Lighter and lither than a couple recent vintages, this is
bright and an excellent value at under $10. Peach and golden apple, a
little hint of lime. Good length for an inexpensive QbA. I've
generally thought of Dr L as good for the money, but this is just good
without qualifier. B+/B. .

Dinner was grilled lobster, scallops, and shrimp, served with a
grilled zucchini and tomato salad* and a green salad. Dinner wine was
the 2005 Manciat Macon-Charnay Vieilles Vignes. Ripe pear fruit, a
little hint of canned pears, the vanilla aromas don't seem integrated.
I can't find my previous note on this but thought I remembered liking
it, but this comes across like a mediocre CalChard, albeit with more
acidity. I prefer the cheaper straightforward Franclieu cuvee to the
old vines bottling. B-/C+

Nice evening, though humidity and heat drove us into the AC.

Last night I was having leftovers of the 2 salads with some lamb/
rosemary sausage from the farmer's market. Usually I like sausage and
off-dry Riesling, so I opened the 2007* Leitz Rüdesheimer Klosterlay
Riesling Kabinett. OK, I admit this was a bit of a shock. My
impression is that 2007 is supposed to be a more "classic" vintage
than some recent ones, but this comes across as sweeter/richer/more
extracted than the 2005 I had recently. Once I adjusted, quite a wine.
Big white stone fruits are deep and rich; there's a solid wall of
acids that keeps this in balance. Lovely wine, once preconceptions are
put aside. Will check again tonight. B+/A-

But....after tasting this, and getting a good sniff of the sausages
(more about meat than spices), I wasn't sure that the wine was the
best match. So I opened a 375 of the 2005 Marjosse (Entre-Deux-Mers).
This was a pleasant surprise for $9 half. Black plum and currant
fruit, a bit of earth and herb, surprising tannins for an Entre Deux
Mers but I guess that is expected in 2005. We'll see how it shows
overnight. Solid B, good value for cheap Bdx.

For two very different wines, it was interesting how well both did
after dinner with the Sprout Creek Farm "Ouray" (closest comparison is
a Englsh farmhouse cheddar, but a bit milder).

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 30, 11:09�am, DaleW > wrote:
> Betsy's mom got into NYC, in preparation for a "girl's trip" to DC
> with Betsy, Betsy's sister, and niece. We had my mom-in law, sister in
> law, and nephew over for dinner Saturday night. Started with a white
> bean and garlic scape dip, along with the 2007 Loosen "Dr. L" Riesling
> (Mosel). Lighter and lither than a couple recent vintages, this is
> bright and an excellent value at under $10. Peach and golden apple, a
> little hint of lime. Good length for an inexpensive QbA. I've
> generally thought of Dr L as good for the money, but this is just good
> without qualifier. B+/B. .
>
> Dinner was grilled lobster, scallops, and shrimp, served with a
> grilled zucchini and tomato salad� and a green salad. Dinner wine was
> the 2005 Manciat Macon-Charnay Vieilles Vignes. Ripe pear fruit, a
> little hint of canned pears, the vanilla aromas don't seem integrated.
> I can't find my previous note on this but thought I remembered liking
> it, but this comes across like a mediocre CalChard, albeit with more
> acidity. I prefer the cheaper straightforward Franclieu cuvee to the
> old vines bottling. B-/C+
>
> Nice evening, though humidity and heat drove us into the AC.
>
> Last night I was having leftovers of the 2 salads with some lamb/
> rosemary sausage from the farmer's market. Usually I like sausage and
> off-dry Riesling, so I opened the 2007� Leitz �R�desheimer Klosterlay
> Riesling Kabinett. OK, I admit this was a bit of a shock. My
> impression is that 2007 is supposed to be a more "classic" vintage
> than some recent ones, but this comes across as sweeter/richer/more
> extracted than the 2005 I had recently. Once I adjusted, quite a wine.
> Big white stone fruits are deep and rich; there's a solid wall of
> acids that keeps this in balance. Lovely wine, once preconceptions are
> put aside. Will check again tonight. B+/A-
>
> But....after tasting this, and getting a good sniff of the sausages
> (more about meat than spices), I wasn't sure that the wine was the
> best match. So I opened a 375 of the 2005 Marjosse (Entre-Deux-Mers).
> This was a pleasant surprise for $9 half. Black plum and currant
> fruit, a bit of earth and herb, surprising tannins for an Entre Deux
> Mers but I guess that is expected in 2005. We'll see how it shows
> overnight. Solid B, good value for cheap Bdx.
>
> For two very different wines, it was interesting how well both did
> after dinner with the Sprout Creek Farm "Ouray" (closest comparison is
> a Englsh farmhouse cheddar, but a bit milder).
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> �

oops, should note that the Marjosse is "Bordeaux AC", I think the
white is labelled Entre Deux Mers.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2 '07 German Rieslings, 05 Bdx, '05 Macon

"DaleW" > wrote in message
Betsy's mom got into NYC, in preparation for a "girl's trip" to DC
with Betsy, Betsy's sister, and niece. We had my mom-in law, sister in
law, and nephew over for dinner Saturday night. Started with a white
bean and garlic scape dip, along with the 2007 Loosen "Dr. L" Riesling
(Mosel). Lighter and lither than a couple recent vintages, this is
bright and an excellent value at under $10. Peach and golden apple, a
little hint of lime. Good length for an inexpensive QbA. I've
generally thought of Dr L as good for the money, but this is just good
without qualifier. B+/B. .

Ha! At last one that I know!

I have declared "DrL" our house white for the summer (£6.50 in Sainsbury for
UK based readers)

I agree with your note, but would add that is is perfect lunchtime wine,
bags of flavour and length but only 8.5% alcohol.

Apparently, the famed DrL uses declassified grapes from better vineyards for
this wine to keep down the volumes of the more expensive wines - hence its
outstanding quality for the modest price.

pk

TN: Chinon white and pink, German Rieslings, Chablis, Macon, Rioja, etc DaleW Wine 1 14-09-2015 09:10 PM
TNs: Mostly 06 German Rieslings + a couple of others Salil Wine 0 15-11-2007 06:15 AM
Two young German Rieslings Salil Wine 3 01-11-2007 10:51 PM
TN: 2 red Burgs, 2 '04 German Rieslings DaleW Wine 2 24-04-2006 08:58 PM
TN: 2 red Burgs, 2 '04 German Rieslings DaleW Wine 0 24-04-2006 07:12 PM