Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Alexander Valley and Fleurie in Atlanta

Saturday was wineless, we flew to Atlanta and just had water for
dinner. Sunday we went out with my parents and brother's family to
celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary. We went to New York Prime, a
steakhouse in Buckhead owned by friends of my brother. David and my
neices were with us, just 4 people lightly drinking wine. So just a
bottle. I eyed the 1982 and 1998 Haut Brion, but as my brother was
paying decided to keep to the low end of the list. As Doug is more
Cali-oriented, went with the 2004 Chateau Souverain "Winemaker's
Reserve" Cabernet Sauvignon (Alexander Valley). Clearly New World, but
not OTT. Medium-bodied, red plums and currants, a little herb, a
little vanilla. A sweet edge but enough acidity to keep it lively. B/B
+

My brother ends up ordering tons of appetizers (oysters Rockefeller,
crabmeat, garlic shrimp) which aren't exactly Cab food. By time the
steaks got there (I got a very good prime bone-in ribeye) I ordered a
glass of Cabernet, got a less attractive one, didn't bother to get
name. Besides steaks we shared an 11.5 lb lobster and a lot of sides.
Nice restaurant.

Monday my mom made fried chicken, I had 30 seconds in wine department
at Harrys to make a choice.. Wanted a good rose, but choices were
unappealing, grabbed the 2006 Domaine des Quatre Vents (DuBoeuf)
Fleurie.Pretty good for Duboeuf, a straightforward mix of red
cherries and strawberries, light body, a hint of spice. Not complex,
but ok. B/B-

Tuesday no wine, though I wished for a glass sitting in ATL for a few
hours due to an air traffic delay in Newark

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Saturday was wineless, we flew to Atlanta and just had water for
> dinner. Sunday we went out with my parents and brother's family to
> celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary. We went to New York Prime, a
> steakhouse in Buckhead owned by friends of my brother. David and my
> neices were with us, just 4 people lightly drinking wine. So just a
> bottle. I eyed the 1982 and 1998 Haut Brion, but as my brother was
> paying decided to keep to the low end of the list. As Doug is more
> Cali-oriented, went with the 2004 Chateau Souverain "Winemaker's
> Reserve" Cabernet Sauvignon (Alexander Valley). Clearly New World, but
> not OTT. Medium-bodied, red plums and currants, a little herb, a
> little vanilla. A sweet edge but enough acidity to keep it lively. B/B
> +
>
> My brother ends up ordering tons of appetizers (oysters Rockefeller,
> crabmeat, garlic shrimp) which aren't exactly Cab food. By time the
> steaks got there (I got a very good prime bone-in ribeye) I ordered a
> glass of Cabernet, got a less attractive one, didn't bother to get
> name. Besides steaks we shared an 11.5 lb lobster and a lot of sides.
> Nice restaurant.
>
> Monday my mom made fried chicken, I had 30 seconds in wine department
> at Harrys to make a choice.. Wanted a good rose, but choices were
> unappealing, grabbed the 2006 Domaine des Quatre Vents (DuBoeuf)
> Fleurie.Pretty good for Duboeuf, a straightforward mix of red
> cherries and strawberries, light body, a hint of spice. Not complex,
> but ok. B/B-
>
> Tuesday no wine, though I wished for a glass sitting in ATL for a few
> hours due to an air traffic delay in Newark
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> *

An 11.5 pound lobster. I'm impressed with that alone.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 25, 4:31�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > Saturday was wineless, we flew to Atlanta and just had water for
> > dinner. Sunday we went out with my parents and brother's family �to
> > celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary. We went to New York Prime, a
> > steakhouse in Buckhead owned by friends of my brother. David and my
> > neices were with us, just 4 people lightly drinking wine. So just a
> > bottle. I eyed the 1982 and 1998 Haut Brion, but as my brother was
> > paying decided to keep to the low end of the list. As Doug is more
> > Cali-oriented, went with the 2004 Chateau Souverain "Winemaker's
> > Reserve" Cabernet Sauvignon (Alexander Valley). Clearly New World, but
> > not OTT. Medium-bodied, red plums and currants, a little herb, a
> > little vanilla. A sweet edge but enough acidity to keep it lively. B/B
> > +

> > My brother ends up ordering tons of appetizers (oysters Rockefeller,
> > crabmeat, garlic shrimp) which aren't exactly Cab food. By time the
> > steaks �got there (I got a very good prime bone-in ribeye) I ordered a
> > glass of Cabernet, got a less attractive one, didn't bother to get
> > name. Besides steaks we shared an 11.5 lb lobster and a lot of sides.
> > Nice restaurant.

> > Monday my mom made fried chicken, I had 30 seconds in wine department
> > at Harrys to make a choice.. Wanted a good rose, but choices were
> > unappealing, grabbed the 2006 Domaine des Quatre Vents (DuBoeuf)
> > Fleurie.Pretty good for Duboeuf, �a straightforward mix of red
> > cherries and strawberries, light body, a hint of spice. Not complex,
> > but ok. B/B-

> > Tuesday no wine, though I wished for a glass sitting in ATL for a few
> > hours due to an air traffic delay in Newark

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> > �

> An 11.5 pound lobster. I'm impressed with that alone.- Hide quoted text -

You should have seen this sucker, they wheeled it out when Doug asked
about lobster on a Radio Flyer sled. Claws were the size of softballs.
I think Betsy might have taken a picture, will post a link if she
did.

Pretty unusual night, I'm guessing the food cost 20+X what the drinks
cost. It's an awkward situation for me. I'm asked to choose wine. Out
of 10 people, 4 (me, dad, Doug, and Betsy)were going to have red (my
sis in law orders a glass of Chardonnay,my mom isn't drinking, 4
underage). My dad likes Taylor Lake Country red with an icecube (glass
with dinner for his heart), thinks $6/750ml is a premium wine. Doug
likes wine, but isn't "into" it. It's tough to order a $100, $200, or
$500 bottle at that moment, if you're not paying. If I thought my dad
would care one whit about a special wine, I would have ordered a
$2-300 bottle and asked waiter to put on a seperate tab for me to pay.
As it was, I put aside geekiness for one night.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> You should have seen this sucker, they wheeled it out when Doug asked
> about lobster on a Radio Flyer sled. Claws were the size of softballs.
> I think Betsy might have taken a picture, will post a link if she
> did.
>
> Pretty unusual night, I'm guessing the food cost 20+X what the drinks
> cost. It's an awkward situation for me. I'm asked to choose wine. Out
> of 10 people, 4 (me, dad, Doug, and Betsy)were going to have red (my
> sis in law orders a glass of Chardonnay,my mom isn't drinking, 4
> underage). My dad likes Taylor Lake Country red with an icecube (glass
> with dinner for his heart), thinks $6/750ml is a premium wine. Doug
> likes wine, but isn't "into" it. It's tough to order a $100, $200, or
> $500 bottle at that moment, if you're not paying. If I thought my dad
> would care one whit about a special wine, I would have ordered a
> $2-300 bottle and asked waiter to put on a seperate tab for me to pay.
> As it was, I put aside geekiness for one night.

Gee, I feel a sense of deja vu reading that response, Dale :P That *is*
one huge lobster, though. I've seen photos of ones that were 3 feet
long, but I'd thought that that was a thing of the past. Apparently not.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 25, 10:09*am, DaleW > wrote:
> Saturday was wineless, we flew to Atlanta and just had water for
> dinner. Sunday we went out with my parents and brother's family *to
> celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary. We went to New York Prime, a
> steakhouse in Buckhead owned by friends of my brother. David and my
> neices were with us, just 4 people lightly drinking wine. So just a
> bottle. I eyed the 1982 and 1998 Haut Brion, but as my brother was
> paying decided to keep to the low end of the list. As Doug is more
> Cali-oriented, went with the 2004 Chateau Souverain "Winemaker's
> Reserve" Cabernet Sauvignon (Alexander Valley). Clearly New World, but
> not OTT. Medium-bodied, red plums and currants, a little herb, a
> little vanilla. A sweet edge but enough acidity to keep it lively. B/B

(snip)

I have really enjoyed those Chateau Souverain wines that are in more
limited release or are 'tasting room only'. Finding a great wine from
a big producer like Souverain can be a challenge, particularly for
those that do not live close to the winery. While you can often order
these wines directly form the winery, it is very difficult to find 3rd
party reviews of these wines. Wineries do not submit these 'smaller'
wines for review, which make the decision to buy direct a real
puzzle. Personal recommendations seem the best way to go with wines
like these.

- Agent Red

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 25, 5:47�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > You should have seen this sucker, they wheeled it out when Doug asked
> > about lobster on a Radio Flyer sled. Claws were the size of softballs.
> > I think Betsy might have taken a picture, will post a link if she
> > did.

> > Pretty unusual night, I'm guessing the food cost 20+X what the drinks
> > cost. It's an awkward situation for me. I'm asked to choose wine. Out
> > of 10 people, 4 (me, dad, Doug, and Betsy)were going to have red (my
> > sis in law orders a glass of Chardonnay,my mom isn't drinking, 4
> > underage). My dad likes Taylor Lake Country red with an icecube (glass
> > with dinner for his heart), thinks $6/750ml is a premium wine. Doug
> > likes wine, but isn't "into" it. It's tough to order a $100, $200, or
> > $500 bottle at that moment, if you're not paying. If I thought my dad
> > would care one whit about a special wine, I would have ordered a
> > $2-300 bottle and asked waiter to put on a seperate tab for me to pay.
> > As it was, I put aside geekiness for one night.

> Gee, I feel a sense of deja vu reading that response, Dale :P �That *is*
> one huge lobster, though. �I've seen photos of ones that were 3 feet
> long, but I'd thought that that was a thing of the past. �Apparently not.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com- Hide quoted text -

Reuse, recycle, it's the way to go.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 25, 3:02Â*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Jun 25, 5:47�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>

> > DaleW wrote:
> > > You should have seen this sucker, they wheeled it out when Doug asked
> > > about lobster on a Radio Flyer sled. Claws were the size of softballs..
> > > I think Betsy might have taken a picture, will post a link if she
> > > did.

> > > Pretty unusual night, I'm guessing the food cost 20+X what the drinks
> > > cost. It's an awkward situation for me. I'm asked to choose wine. Out
> > > of 10 people, 4 (me, dad, Doug, and Betsy)were going to have red (my
> > > sis in law orders a glass of Chardonnay,my mom isn't drinking, 4
> > > underage). My dad likes Taylor Lake Country red with an icecube (glass
> > > with dinner for his heart), thinks $6/750ml is a premium wine. Doug
> > > likes wine, but isn't "into" it. It's tough to order a $100, $200, or
> > > $500 bottle at that moment, if you're not paying. If I thought my dad
> > > would care one whit about a special wine, I would have ordered a
> > > $2-300 bottle and asked waiter to put on a seperate tab for me to pay..
> > > As it was, I put aside geekiness for one night.

> > Gee, I feel a sense of deja vu reading that response, Dale :P �That *is*
> > one huge lobster, though. �I've seen photos of ones that were 3 feet
> > long, but I'd thought that that was a thing of the past. �Apparently not.

> > Mark Lipton
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com-Hide quoted text -

> Reuse, recycle, it's the way to go.

I'm learning! Thanks!!
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> [...]

> I think Betsy might have taken a picture, will post a link if she
> did.
>
> Pretty unusual night, I'm guessing the food cost 20+X what the drinks
> cost. It's an awkward situation for me. I'm asked to choose wine. Out
> of 10 people, 4 (me, dad, Doug, and Betsy)were going to have red (my
> sis in law orders a glass of Chardonnay,my mom isn't drinking, 4
> underage). My dad likes Taylor Lake Country red with an icecube (glass
> with dinner for his heart), thinks $6/750ml is a premium wine. Doug
> likes wine, but isn't "into" it. It's tough to order a $100, $200, or
> $500 bottle at that moment, if you're not paying. If I thought my dad
> would care one whit about a special wine, I would have ordered a
> $2-300 bottle and asked waiter to put on a seperate tab for me to pay.
> As it was, I put aside geekiness for one night.

Wine by the glass is the way I go in these situations but depends where
you are what is available.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Jun 25, 5:47?pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > DaleW wrote:
> > > You should have seen this sucker, they wheeled it out when Doug asked
> > > about lobster on a Radio Flyer sled. Claws were the size of softballs.
> > > I think Betsy might have taken a picture, will post a link if she
> > > did.

> > > Pretty unusual night, I'm guessing the food cost 20+X what the drinks
> > > cost. It's an awkward situation for me. I'm asked to choose wine. Out
> > > of 10 people, 4 (me, dad, Doug, and Betsy)were going to have red (my
> > > sis in law orders a glass of Chardonnay,my mom isn't drinking, 4
> > > underage). My dad likes Taylor Lake Country red with an icecube (glass
> > > with dinner for his heart), thinks $6/750ml is a premium wine. Doug
> > > likes wine, but isn't "into" it. It's tough to order a $100, $200, or
> > > $500 bottle at that moment, if you're not paying. If I thought my dad
> > > would care one whit about a special wine, I would have ordered a
> > > $2-300 bottle and asked waiter to put on a seperate tab for me to pay.
> > > As it was, I put aside geekiness for one night.

> > Gee, I feel a sense of deja vu reading that response, Dale :P ?That *is*
> > one huge lobster, though. ?I've seen photos of ones that were 3 feet
> > long, but I'd thought that that was a thing of the past. ?Apparently not.
> >
> > Mark Lipton
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: ?http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com- Hide quoted text -

> Reuse, recycle, it's the way to go.

A lobster like that could be recycled plenty.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Wow, $2-$300 for a bottle of wine. For a non profit Homeless business I
guess its profitable to be non profit.

"DaleW" > wrote in message
> [...]

I think Betsy might have taken a picture, will post a link if she
did.

Pretty unusual night, I'm guessing the food cost 20+X what the drinks
cost. It's an awkward situation for me. I'm asked to choose wine. Out
of 10 people, 4 (me, dad, Doug, and Betsy)were going to have red (my
sis in law orders a glass of Chardonnay,my mom isn't drinking, 4
underage). My dad likes Taylor Lake Country red with an icecube (glass
with dinner for his heart), thinks $6/750ml is a premium wine. Doug
likes wine, but isn't "into" it. It's tough to order a $100, $200, or
$500 bottle at that moment, if you're not paying. If I thought my dad
would care one whit about a special wine, I would have ordered a
$2-300 bottle and asked waiter to put on a seperate tab for me to pay.
As it was, I put aside geekiness for one night.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I'm put in that position a lot and I know how uncomfortable it can
be. Often I'll order a bottle of sparkling wine for the table and
recommend glass pours for those who want red or white. I will also
sometimes order a moderate bottle of white and red ($30-$50) to give
folks a choice without spending a lot of someone elses
money....especially if they aren't wine saavy. For special occasions
I usually do what you contemplated...buy a great bottle and quietly
pay for it while on a restroom break. I would have loved to have seen
that lobster though!

On Jun 25, 4:36Â*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]

> I think Betsy might have taken a picture, will post a link if she
> did.
>
> Pretty unusual night, I'm guessing the food cost 20+X what the drinks
> cost. It's an awkward situation for me. I'm asked to choose wine. Out
> of 10 people, 4 (me, dad, Doug, and Betsy)were going to have red (my
> sis in law orders a glass of Chardonnay,my mom isn't drinking, 4
> underage). My dad likes Taylor Lake Country red with an icecube (glass
> with dinner for his heart), thinks $6/750ml is a premium wine. Doug
> likes wine, but isn't "into" it. It's tough to order a $100, $200, or
> $500 bottle at that moment, if you're not paying. If I thought my dad
> would care one whit about a special wine, I would have ordered a
> $2-300 bottle and asked waiter to put on a seperate tab for me to pay.
> As it was, I put aside geekiness for one night.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in
:

> I'm put in that position a lot and I know how uncomfortable it can
> be. Often I'll order a bottle of sparkling wine for the table and
> recommend glass pours for those who want red or white.

Sparkling helped me out a few weeks ago. There was a Sparkling Rose from
Chandon that managed to go, if not well, passably with all four dinners
combination of seafood and some saucy poultry.

Then there is the time to be gracious when you want old world and the
guest, client in my case, wants new.
--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 25, 5:31�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > Saturday was wineless, we flew to Atlanta and just had water for
> > dinner. Sunday we went out with my parents and brother's family �to
> > celebrate my parent's 50th anniversary. We went to New York Prime, a
> > steakhouse in Buckhead owned by friends of my brother. David and my
> > neices were with us, just 4 people lightly drinking wine. So just a
> > bottle. I eyed the 1982 and 1998 Haut Brion, but as my brother was
> > paying decided to keep to the low end of the list. As Doug is more
> > Cali-oriented, went with the 2004 Chateau Souverain "Winemaker's
> > Reserve" Cabernet Sauvignon (Alexander Valley). Clearly New World, but
> > not OTT. Medium-bodied, red plums and currants, a little herb, a
> > little vanilla. A sweet edge but enough acidity to keep it lively. B/B
> > +

> > My brother ends up ordering tons of appetizers (oysters Rockefeller,
> > crabmeat, garlic shrimp) which aren't exactly Cab food. By time the
> > steaks �got there (I got a very good prime bone-in ribeye) I ordered a
> > glass of Cabernet, got a less attractive one, didn't bother to get
> > name. Besides steaks we shared an 11.5 lb lobster and a lot of sides.
> > Nice restaurant.

> > Monday my mom made fried chicken, I had 30 seconds in wine department
> > at Harrys to make a choice.. Wanted a good rose, but choices were
> > unappealing, grabbed the 2006 Domaine des Quatre Vents (DuBoeuf)
> > Fleurie.Pretty good for Duboeuf, �a straightforward mix of red
> > cherries and strawberries, light body, a hint of spice. Not complex,
> > but ok. B/B-

> > Tuesday no wine, though I wished for a glass sitting in ATL for a few
> > hours due to an air traffic delay in Newark

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> > �

> An 11.5 pound lobster. I'm impressed with that alone.- Hide quoted text -

Apparently only my mom (who has a digital camera, but only takes it to
drugstore for prints, doesn't know how to upload) was only one to get
shot of live lobster on his wagon. But here is cooked before they
dissassembled:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...=1214746461296
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...5a6&sid=0Aat3D
> FqzYuGLso&auto=0&idx=8&m=1&d=1214746461296

Shutterfly didn't like that one. It comes up with an error message.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 29, 7:51�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> �DaleW > wrote:
> >http://share.shutterfly.com/action/s...b3475b3405a6&s....
> > FqzYuGLso&auto=0&idx=8&m=1&d=1214746461296

> Shutterfly didn't like that one. It comes up with an error message.

Think it's not wrapping around, sorry. Try this:
http://tinyurl.com/3rsmln

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote: