Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: whites and pinks

I grilled some pork chops to serve with a salad with golden beets,
opened the 2004 Nikolaihof "Vom Stein"*Riesling Federspiel. Intensely
citric, with lemon and grapefruit and a little orange rind, just a
tiny hint of petrol, dominated by a very rocky mineral finish. I
generally think of Federspiel as drink young, but this could use some
time. B+

Betsy got back from her recording session in Michigan Friday, she took
care of the spinach and pasta, I grilled branzino and scallops. Wine
was the 2006 Inama Soave Classico. Light but with some backbone,
vivacious, lemon fruit with a little nut. I enjoyed, and took
leftovers to my wine group. B+

After dinner Lucy and the dog walked with me to Roger's house, she
went home to unpack and repack while I spent evening with my local
wine group. We mostly do reds, but this was our annual rosé/white
night before our summer hiatus. Wines served blind:

As I arrived, everyone was there, I was handed a glass of white. Light
peach fruit and apricot , very floral, a little musky. A little tired
seeming. I wondered if Alsace Muscat, told no, guessed Viognier. Yes,
1999 Christophe Pichon Condrieu. B-

Next up was mine, the 2007 Larmes du Paradis Rosé (Vallée d`Aoste)
Much lighter style than other nebbiolo based rosatos like Il Mimo or
the Sella, a light and zippy strawberry infused wine. Probably better
as an apertif than as a dinner wine. B/B+

Lemony white with some waxy notes. The latter leads me to guess
Chenin, Fred says "close", I guess Romorantin. Good acidity, but a
bit dilute, not my fave. It's the 2002 Huards *Cour-Cheverny. B-

A pink that could use more acidic backbone was up next. A touch
flabby, simple red plum fruit, once I heard French I guessed Bordeaux
as I always don't like Bdx rose. 2007 Rose de Phelan Segur. C+

Next was a rather dreadful Languedoc Sauvignon Blanc, I was told it
was organic, I'd call it thin and characterless. Sorry I didn't note
name. C

A zippy citrus driven white, high acids, mineral and floral nose, I'm
totally lost. Random guesses (Alsace?) get nowhere. I state
confidently not Chardonnay. Alex says Burgundy, I'm shocked, but it
isn't Chard, a nice 2006 Giraudon Bourgogne-Aligoté B

I'm also lost as to origin of next pink. I'm thinking Provence, but
no. Good acidity, cherries and strawberries. Dave says it's a Puligny
Montrachet, and I claim that's impossible for a rosé. OK, once
unwrapped I get it, it's the 2007 Chateau de Puligny-Montrachet
Bourgogne Rosé. I like better than I usually like their whites. B/B+

Rain starts and we move inside, we're close to leaving when Rob
realizes he never poured his wine. Straight from the fridge and very
cold, it's so pale I'm not sure if it is a rosé or if he poured a
white into my glass with a little leftover rose. I look at other
glasses and determine it is a rosé. Not giving a lot straight out of
fridge, I get a little cherry and red plum, a hint of earth, and guess
Pinot. It's another Burg, the 2007 F. Magnien Bourgogne Rosé (what
are chances of 2 random Bourgogne roses, with neither a Marsannay?). B

No great wines, but a fun time, with good conversation (and
arguments!). Not about wine, mostly. Happily walked home in a
thunderstorm.

*

TN: mostly whites, plus bubbly, 2 pinks, 2 reds DaleW Wine 0 28-07-2012 09:01 PM
TN: 3 pinks, 3 whites DaleW Wine 0 28-06-2012 09:18 PM
Whites Must Have Children: New Tax Rules To Encourage Whites ToHave Babies Ramon F. Herrera General Cooking 1 19-05-2012 01:47 PM
TN: pre-Labor Day party, w/reds, white, pinks, bubbles DaleW Wine 2 08-09-2009 02:16 PM
[TN] Three whites Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 0 30-03-2008 08:53 AM