Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Rheingau, Paso Robles, Ribera del Duero, Sicily

With duck hot dogs and grilled squash, the 2005 Leitz Rüdesheimer
Klosterlay Riesling Kabinett (Rheingau). Just a hint of spritz when
unscrewed. White stone fruit, good acidity, slate and flint. Good
length, nice clean finish. B+
Just ordered the 2007 at $15.xx from Zachys, $2-3 more than I paid for
this, but if it's near as good a real bargain in current market.

With grilled swordfish and a caper/butter sauce, a portabello, and
green beans, the 2005 Edmunds St. John Shell and Bone (Paso Robles).
This is a Roussanne/Viognier blend, neither my favorite grape- I just
don't really get Rhone whites. But I like ESJ reds, so thought I'd
give a white a try. I'm glad I did. It's got a little of that
Roussanne oiliness, and a bit of the Viognier florality, but neither
is overwhelming. Most encouraging, there is enough acid to keep it
lively. Matches well with the fish with capers, good length, nice
wine. Holds up well overnight. B+

While preparing some Italian sausage with peppers and onions, more
green beans, and a salad, I opened the 2005 Arrocal (Ribera del
Duero). Sweet berry fruit, a little hot on the end, comes across as a
bit boring and empty. That's what I get for trying to economize, $11
Ribera is a gamble. B-/C+.

I had a long frustrating day, wanted to reward myself, and the Arrocal
wasn't what I wanted with my dinner. So sent it into vinegar crock
which needed some nourishment, and opened the 2004 Biondi "Outis"*
(Nessuno) Etna Rosso DOC. This is my first Etna Rosso, and while I
know one should judge every wine on its own, I can't help comparing
wines to what I know well. I liked this, and in some ways it reminded
me of a Cru Beaujolais (Fleurie or Chiroubles, maybe) but in other
ways possibly a Chianti Classico Riserva, But eventually the most apt
comparison was a rather lacy Burgundy, maybe Volnay or Chambolle. I
think I get a light toasted oak note on the nose, but its elusive and
not found on palate. Pretty cherry fruit with smoke and earth, some
light hints of tobacco and leather. Good acidity, persistent but ripe
light tannins. I've never paid $25 for a Sicilian wine before, but
this is a bargain. Nice wine, will get more. Imported by Selected
Estates in NY, but I know Oliver McCrum brings it to West Coast. A-