Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [NEWS] Chateau Montelena for sale

According to a news item running on the Wine Spectator's site, Napa
Valley icon Chateau Montelena is up for sale by the Barrett family,
their long-time owners:

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Fe...7,4439,00.html

*sigh*
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> According to a news item running on the Wine Spectator's site, Napa Valley
> icon Chateau Montelena is up for sale by the Barrett family, their
> long-time owners:
>
> http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Fe...7,4439,00.html
>
> *sigh*
> Mark Lipton

Sigh indeed. Montelena has consistently made some of the best Cabs and
Chardonnays in California for many years. One can only hope that the new
owners are reasonable people.

Jim Mehl

Posted to alt.food.wine

Loved their Cabs, especially the ones before 1987 but NEVER thought much of
the Chard, and never understood why the fuss over Chard.

The Cabs I still have some older 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995(did not like) ,
1997(my current favorite and last year in cellar)
"Jim Mehl" > wrote in message
> "Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
>> According to a news item running on the Wine Spectator's site, Napa
>> Valley icon Chateau Montelena is up for sale by the Barrett family, their
>> long-time owners:
>>
>> http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Fe...7,4439,00.html
>>
>> *sigh*
>> Mark Lipton

> Sigh indeed. Montelena has consistently made some of the best Cabs and
> Chardonnays in California for many years. One can only hope that the new
> owners are reasonable people.
>
> Jim Mehl

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Chateau Montelena for sale

On Jun 19, 9:10�am, "Jim Mehl" > wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" > wrote in message

> > According to a news item running on the Wine Spectator's site, Napa Valley
> > icon Chateau Montelena is up for sale by the Barrett family, their
> > long-time owners:

> >http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Fe...7,4439,00.html

> > *sigh*
> > Mark Lipton

> Sigh indeed. Montelena has consistently made some of the best Cabs and
> Chardonnays in California for many years. One can only hope that the new
> owners are reasonable people.
>
> Jim Mehl
>
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Yes, I like both the Cab and Chardonnay. Would be a shame it they were
bought by someone intent on following the crowd (we don't need another
full-malo Chardonnay, plenty to choose from!)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 18, 3:42*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> According to a news item running on the Wine Spectator's site, Napa
> Valley icon Chateau Montelena is up for sale by the Barrett family,
> their long-time owners:
>
> http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Fe...7,4439,00.html
>
> *sigh*
> Mark Lipton

I bought quite a bit of Ch. Montelena Chardonnay and Cabernet
Sauvignon in the 70s, Many of their wines then were quite good, but I
have not bought Montelena in recent years, since my interests moved
elsewhere. I find that my only Montelena is a single bottle of their
1974 Cabernet Sauvignon. It was decent the last time tasted well over
a decade ago, but I would not even guess how it would be today. If and
when I open it, I will report here if the wine still is drinkable.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 19, 3:38�pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Jun 18, 3:42�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>
> > According to a news item running on the Wine Spectator's site, Napa
> > Valley icon Chateau Montelena is up for sale by the Barrett family,
> > their long-time owners:

> >http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Fe...7,4439,00.html

> > *sigh*
> > Mark Lipton

> I bought quite a bit of Ch. Montelena Chardonnay and Cabernet
> Sauvignon in the 70s, Many of their wines then were quite good, but I
> have not bought Montelena in recent years, since my interests moved
> elsewhere. I find that my only Montelena is a single bottle of their
> 1974 Cabernet Sauvignon. It was decent the last time tasted well over
> a decade ago, but I would not even guess how it would be today. If and
> when I open it, I will report here if the wine still is drinkable.

I bought a lot fo Montelena Cab in the 80's and 90's. The last case I
bought was the 1997. I still have a bottle of the 1973 and a couple
of 1978's and a variety of 80's and 90's vintages. They still all
drink well. FWIW, I haven't IIRC, ever had a tainted bottle and their
reputation for longevity is well earned. I never liked the Chard
though.

1996 Chateau Montelena Estate Napa Cabernet Bi!! Wine 0 29-08-2016 03:58 PM
1994 Chateau Montelena Cabernet 3L Bi!! Wine 2 21-11-2013 04:43 PM
1998 Chateau Montelena Estate Bi!! Wine 2 26-04-2013 04:05 PM
2002 Chateau Montelena Bi!! Wine 8 19-10-2011 04:25 PM
1994 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Bi!! Wine 6 13-06-2011 03:35 PM