Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bordeaux, Tuscany, Burgundy, Galicia

Assorted wines over the last 4 days:

2005 Peyrabon (Haut-Medoc), from 375 ml
Decent midweight, seems more Right Bank than Medoc- I would have
guessed Merlot with the dark plum fruit and* round texture. A little
bit of spicy oak, tannins are a little obtrusive, could probably use a
little time. B

1998 Clos du Marquis (St Julien)
With lamb kebabs, and a green salad with mango. Fully mature, some
cedar and earth, black fruit a bit on the thin side. Better nose than
on palate, finish is a bit short. Some 1998 Medocs have made me
rethink my aversion to the vintage on that bank, but this isn't a
particularly strong effort. I do enjoy this, but it's ok rather than
special, and if I cellar something from 7-8 years I'm hoping for
special. B/B-

2006 Pazo Pondal Albarino (Rias Baixas)
Good acidity, clean, no sign of oak. Lemon, Granny smith apples, a
little peach. Nice apertif, but not much in the way of complexity,
depth, or length. Good summer quaffer, but not one of the more
riveting Albarinos. B

2005 Huber-Verdereau " Les Robardelles " Volnay
With buffalo hot dogs, sauteed ramps with bacon, and asparagus. Nice
if slightly muted nose, opens up to a pleasant melange of red plums
and berries, with a little chocolate and smoke. Palate is a little
austere on night one, nice cherry fruit and clean acids but a bit
dominated by the tannins. No wood evident. Nice if restrained. On
night 2 it has opened its robes and shows what's underneath, a lovely
midweight Volnay with earth, black cherry, smoke, and plums vying for
dominance. Bright acids, tannins have integrated, lovely wine. Will
revisit in 5 years. Never had this domaine before, a good argument for
trusting a* store (I ordered this because Woodland Hills carried it,
for me WHWC is to Burgundy as Chambers St is to Loire, Beaujolais or
Piedmont: if they carry it, probably good). A-/B+

2004 Fontodi Chianit Classico
With bistecca alla Fiorentina , beans, squash, and a salad. Meaty,
substantial Chianti. Big fresh and dried cherry, floral nose, rich.
Good acidity, ripe tannins that work well with the steak. Good length,
a little leather develops with time. Gets warmer and lusher with air. B
+

And a little (off-topic, a bit mawkish) side note re Father's Day.
Betsy left Saturday to record a Beethoven Piano Trio in Michigan. She
left behind a couple of nice gifts from Lucy (yes, we're the kind of
people who refer to our dog's "mom" and "dad", sorry). David finished
his term in Scotland a couple of weeks, but has been in Copenhagen
with his dad and family. I picked him up at JFK Sunday afternoon. He
talked to his mom by phone,wished me a happy Father's Day. He asked if
it was ok if he went out with a friend rather than have dinner at
home. The thing is, the friend in question didn't go to her planned
college this year. She was hospitalized with anorexia. She was leaving
today, and last night was only chance to see her. One thing I love
about Dave is he has stuck by a couple of friends who have had hard
times. He was a super popular kid (I can't tell you how thrilled we
were when he was voted "best hair" in his senior class!!!) but never
ignored those who were less popular. To me , having a good kid (even
if step) is the best gift for Father's Day.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 16, 9:30�am, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> it was ok if he went out with a friend rather than have dinner at
> home. The thing is, the friend in question didn't go to her planned
> college this year. She was hospitalized with anorexia. She was leaving
> today, and last night was only chance to see her. One thing I love
> about Dave is he has stuck by a couple of friends who have had hard
> times. �He was a super popular kid (I can't tell you how thrilled we
> were when he was voted "best hair" in his senior class!!!) but never
> ignored those who were less popular. To me , having a good kid (even
> if step) is the best gift for Father's Day.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Dale,
Thanks for the notes and the personal insight on David. I have
three great kids also who at ages 31, 26 and 21 continue to give me
joy....not to mention beautiful grandkids!