Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Spain, Touraine, Kamptal (and my first glass stopper)

On Monday we went to friends' for a dinner of cool summer salads. I
started with an unknown glass of white - slightly grassy, but mostly
about tropical fruit with a gooseberry edge. I assumed a just ok
Sauvignon Blanc, probably CA, but forget to check when we cleared
table later (was trying to contain my geekiness).

With dinner (assorted salads, lemon chicken, baked beans) 2006 Montes
Oton. A modern Spanish wine with an overdesigned label. Ripe black and
blueberry jam fruit, a little hot, light but hard tannins. Not really
showing oak, but sweet and alcoholic, not my style. C+/C

Tuesday I got home from a long day capped with a meeting about 9, I
had eaten a little, but Betsy had saved me some soba and sushi from
her dinner. I opened the 2006 Chidaine Touraine Chenin. Somehow I have
the impression (but no evidence) this is a negoce wine. A bit off-dry
(more a "sec-tendre" thing that actual sweetness), green apple and
citrus, ok flavors but I find this a little thin and short. Not up to
the standards of Chidaine's Montlouis or Vouvray bottlings, even
allowing for the $10 tag. Not a buy again. B-/C+

Wednesday temps had dropped so we could again eat on patio; Betsy
topped a lettuce and tomato (bah salmonella!) salad with a lemony
pasta and grilled shrimp, with a side of white asparagus in brown
butter. Wine was the 2006 Steininger "Grand Cru" Gruner Veltliner
(Kamptal), My first Vino-Lok! I like the closure. I liked the wine,
too. Bigger more muscular style of GV, big rich mouthfeel, only marred
by a slight hint of heat. Rich peaches with a little hint of tropical
fruits, a little slately minerality, hint of pepper. Good acidity,
solid backbone. A little roundness hints of oak, but way in
background. Probably could use some time. B+

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Monday we went to friends' for a dinner of cool summer salads. I
> started with an unknown glass of white - slightly grassy, but mostly
> about tropical fruit with a gooseberry edge. I assumed a just ok
> Sauvignon Blanc, probably CA, but forget to check when we cleared
> table later (was trying to contain my geekiness).
>
> With dinner (assorted salads, lemon chicken, baked beans) 2006 Montes
> Oton. A modern Spanish wine with an overdesigned label. Ripe black and
> blueberry jam fruit, a little hot, light but hard tannins. Not really
> showing oak, but sweet and alcoholic, not my style. C+/C
>
> Tuesday I got home from a long day capped with a meeting about 9, I
> had eaten a little, but Betsy had saved me some soba and sushi from
> her dinner. I opened the 2006 Chidaine Touraine Chenin. Somehow I have
> the impression (but no evidence) this is a negoce wine. A bit off-dry
> (more a "sec-tendre" thing that actual sweetness), green apple and
> citrus, ok flavors but I find this a little thin and short. Not up to
> the standards of Chidaine's Montlouis or Vouvray bottlings, even
> allowing for the $10 tag. Not a buy again. B-/C+
>
> Wednesday temps had dropped so we could again eat on patio; Betsy
> topped a lettuce and tomato (bah salmonella!) salad with a lemony
> pasta and grilled shrimp, with a side of white asparagus in brown
> butter. Wine was the 2006 Steininger "Grand Cru" Gruner Veltliner
> (Kamptal), My first Vino-Lok! I like the closure. I liked the wine,
> too. Bigger more muscular style of GV, big rich mouthfeel, only marred
> by a slight hint of heat. Rich peaches with a little hint of tropical
> fruits, a little slately minerality, hint of pepper. Good acidity,
> solid backbone. A little roundness hints of oak, but way in
> background. Probably could use some time. B+
>

> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> *

So Dale, what does go best with Salmonella? I would think a Vouvray
might set it off nicely.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 12, 2:54�pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �DaleW > wrote:
> > On Monday we went to friends' for a dinner of cool summer salads. I
> > started with an unknown glass of white - slightly grassy, but mostly
> > about tropical fruit with a gooseberry edge. I assumed a just ok
> > Sauvignon Blanc, probably CA, but forget to check when we cleared
> > table later (was trying to contain my geekiness).

> > With dinner (assorted salads, lemon chicken, baked beans) 2006 Montes
> > Oton. A modern Spanish wine with an overdesigned label. Ripe black and
> > blueberry jam fruit, a little hot, light but hard tannins. Not really
> > showing oak, but sweet and alcoholic, not my style. C+/C

> > Tuesday I got home from a long day capped with a meeting about 9, I
> > had eaten a little, but Betsy had saved me some soba and sushi from
> > her dinner. I opened the 2006 Chidaine Touraine Chenin. Somehow I have
> > the impression (but no evidence) this is a negoce wine. A bit off-dry
> > (more a "sec-tendre" thing that actual sweetness), green apple and
> > citrus, ok flavors but I find this a little thin and short. Not up to
> > the standards of Chidaine's Montlouis or Vouvray bottlings, even
> > allowing for the $10 tag. Not a buy again. B-/C+

> > Wednesday temps had dropped so we could again eat on patio; Betsy
> > topped a lettuce and tomato (bah salmonella!) salad with a lemony
> > pasta and grilled shrimp, with a side of white asparagus in brown
> > butter. Wine was the 2006 Steininger "Grand Cru" Gruner Veltliner
> > (Kamptal), My first Vino-Lok! I like the closure. I liked the wine,
> > too. Bigger more muscular style of GV, big rich mouthfeel, only marred
> > by a slight hint of heat. Rich peaches with a little hint of tropical
> > fruits, a little slately minerality, hint of pepper. Good acidity,
> > solid backbone. A little roundness hints of oak, but way in
> > background. Probably could use some time. B+

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> > �

> So Dale, what does go best with Salmonella? I would think a Vouvray
> might set it off nicely.- Hide quoted text -

You're the doctor, tell me!
Betsy wondered if we should eat, but I figured that these were
organic, and while I don't think that means they are safer overall, it
is unlikely that the tomatoes causing the outbreak were organic (as
the issue is they can't trace, because they were bulk tomatoes). We
still washed carefully and discarded one with a skin tear. Though
today I heard washing wasn't neccessarily that helpful.
169 people really isn't that many.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2:54?pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > ?DaleW > wrote:
> > > On Monday we went to friends' for a dinner of cool summer salads. I
> > > started with an unknown glass of white - slightly grassy, but mostly
> > > about tropical fruit with a gooseberry edge. I assumed a just ok
> > > Sauvignon Blanc, probably CA, but forget to check when we cleared
> > > table later (was trying to contain my geekiness).

> > > With dinner (assorted salads, lemon chicken, baked beans) 2006 Montes
> > > Oton. A modern Spanish wine with an overdesigned label. Ripe black and
> > > blueberry jam fruit, a little hot, light but hard tannins. Not really
> > > showing oak, but sweet and alcoholic, not my style. C+/C

> > > Tuesday I got home from a long day capped with a meeting about 9, I
> > > had eaten a little, but Betsy had saved me some soba and sushi from
> > > her dinner. I opened the 2006 Chidaine Touraine Chenin. Somehow I have
> > > the impression (but no evidence) this is a negoce wine. A bit off-dry
> > > (more a "sec-tendre" thing that actual sweetness), green apple and
> > > citrus, ok flavors but I find this a little thin and short. Not up to
> > > the standards of Chidaine's Montlouis or Vouvray bottlings, even
> > > allowing for the $10 tag. Not a buy again. B-/C+

> > > Wednesday temps had dropped so we could again eat on patio; Betsy
> > > topped a lettuce and tomato (bah salmonella!) salad with a lemony
> > > pasta and grilled shrimp, with a side of white asparagus in brown
> > > butter. Wine was the 2006 Steininger "Grand Cru" Gruner Veltliner
> > > (Kamptal), My first Vino-Lok! I like the closure. I liked the wine,
> > > too. Bigger more muscular style of GV, big rich mouthfeel, only marred
> > > by a slight hint of heat. Rich peaches with a little hint of tropical
> > > fruits, a little slately minerality, hint of pepper. Good acidity,
> > > solid backbone. A little roundness hints of oak, but way in
> > > background. Probably could use some time. B+

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> > > ?

> > So Dale, what does go best with Salmonella? I would think a Vouvray
> > might set it off nicely.- Hide quoted text -

> You're the doctor, tell me!
> Betsy wondered if we should eat, but I figured that these were
> organic, and while I don't think that means they are safer overall, it
> is unlikely that the tomatoes causing the outbreak were organic (as
> the issue is they can't trace, because they were bulk tomatoes). We
> still washed carefully and discarded one with a skin tear. Though
> today I heard washing wasn't neccessarily that helpful.
> 169 people really isn't that many.

When I lived in Mexico all vegetables and non-peelable fruit was soaked
in water with a small amount of Clorox in it. While it certainly
imparted a chlorine flavor to the food, we never got parasites or severe
bacterial illnesses. Maybe in the US we should consider that what with
the spinach, lettuce and now tomato scares. With a bit of chlorine a
crisp Sauvignon Blanc would do the trick.

I just dropped one of my Anchor Hocking glass bowls w/glass lids onthe floor John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 2 05-02-2016 06:21 PM
Wierd Stopper Fred[_2_] Wine 3 05-12-2010 06:19 AM
TN: Kamptal lady sings this song, doo dah DaleW Wine 0 12-01-2010 07:52 PM
TN: 2001 Kamptal GV DaleW Wine 0 13-12-2007 03:06 PM
Missing stopper & air lock GW Winemaking 3 20-01-2004 10:47 PM