Posted to alt.food.wine

Default d'Yquem and Lobster

Hi,

I have read that the match of Chateau d'Yquem and lobster is very good, if
absolutely decadent. I am meeting a group of friends next month with an
interesting line-up of wines (a 2005 Montrachet by Marc Colin, a 2006
Keller G-Max, a Chateau Angelus 2000 and an Ornellaia 2004), and there is a
d'Yquem 1996 involved. We are meeting at a restaurant that will cook for us
and I have suggested matching the d'Yquem after a magnum of 1989 Champagne,
with lobster nonetheless.

In Spain, lobster is usually boiled in one piece, then served, or cut in
halves and grilled.

I think the boiling method will make it too subtle for such a strong wine,
and I can see the grilled lobster better with the complexity of the wine.

Does anybody of you have a suggestion about how to cook the lobster?

Thanks in advance,

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 9, 4:43�pm, santiago > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have read that the match of Chateau d'Yquem and lobster is very good, if
> absolutely decadent. I am meeting a group of friends next month with an
> interesting line-up of wines (a 2005 Montrachet by Marc Colin, a 2006
> Keller G-Max, a Chateau Angelus 2000 and an Ornellaia 2004), and there is a
> d'Yquem 1996 involved. We are meeting at a restaurant that will cook for us
> and I have suggested matching the d'Yquem after a magnum of 1989 Champagne,
> with lobster nonetheless.
>
> In Spain, lobster is usually boiled in one piece, then served, or cut in
> halves and grilled.
>
> I think the boiling method will make it too subtle for such a strong wine,
> and I can see the grilled lobster better with the complexity of the wine.
>
> Does anybody of you have a suggestion about how to cook the lobster?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> s.

I once had lobster with Yquem and it was poached in vanilla and citrus
infused butter and it was killer.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 9, 3:43 pm, santiago > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have read that the match of Chateau d'Yquem and lobster is very good, if
> absolutely decadent. I am meeting a group of friends next month with an
> interesting line-up of wines (a 2005 Montrachet by Marc Colin, a 2006
> Keller G-Max, a Chateau Angelus 2000 and an Ornellaia 2004), and there is a
> d'Yquem 1996 involved. We are meeting at a restaurant that will cook for us
> and I have suggested matching the d'Yquem after a magnum of 1989 Champagne,
> with lobster nonetheless.
>
> In Spain, lobster is usually boiled in one piece, then served, or cut in
> halves and grilled.
>
> I think the boiling method will make it too subtle for such a strong wine,
> and I can see the grilled lobster better with the complexity of the wine.
>
> Does anybody of you have a suggestion about how to cook the lobster?

Yquem often was served with lobster in the late 1800s, as well as
Champagne which often was much sweeter back then than now. The modern
taste in many places would be for a brut Champagne rather than Yquem
or sweet Champagne.

I would suggest a more elaborate and rich lobster dish for pairing
with Yquem or a sweet Champagne. Perhaps Lobster Newburg or Lobster
Thermidor. Both are classic dishes that any chef with proper classic
training should be able to prepare. But such combinations are very
rich and may tend to fill up the guests before all of the courses are
served. The solution for modern people,who tend to eat much less at
elaborate dinners than in the past, is to serve small portions and not
serve other courses that are so rich.

Posted to alt.food.wine

We did an all Yquem dinner about 10 years ago and matched the 1988,
1989 and 1990 with Nova Scotia lobster and celery root smoked cod
brandade with Granny Smith apple, all stuffed into a cylinder of
pastry, served on a lemon nage.

It was most memorable. I agree that something with a bit of richness
is required. Even the bechamel used in the old standby Lobster
Thermidor would work well.