Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '90 Cuveé du Papet

Tonight, to celebrate my birthday, Jean cooked a meal of
applewood-smoked pheasant with roasted potatoes and asparagus. To
accompany the bird, I opened:

1990 Clos du Mont-Olivet Cuvée du Papet
color: dark garnet with brick at the rim
nose: kirsch, game, mineral, licorice, alcohol
palate: medium body, good acidity, fruity, balanced

Chosen as a wine to accompany smoked game bird, this wine perfomed
admirably, scoring a clean 4 on the Hoare scale of food/wine pairings.
Still young, it displayed few signs of the hot vintage (no
roasted/pruney fruit character) and had great acidity. Given a lofty
98+ by Parker at its release and bought for $26.95, this was one of the
first wines purchased at Sam's after our move to Indiana. My only
complaint would be at the difficulty in getting through the %^^&%$#^&%&*
wax capsule.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

> 1990 Clos du Mont-Olivet Cuvée du Papet

Excellent producer, from their low-level Cote du Rhone and all the way up.
Also, make good wines in difficult years.
Cuvée du Papet (Granddaddy's Blend) is their top-of-the-line which they only
make certain years.
Unfortunately, a bit beyond my means, but their "basic" CdP is a very good
QPR. I hope we will be able to visit them this summer!

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:

>> 1990 Clos du Mont-Olivet Cuvée du Papet

> Excellent producer, from their low-level Cote du Rhone and all the way
> up. Also, make good wines in difficult years.
> Cuvée du Papet (Granddaddy's Blend) is their top-of-the-line which they
> only make certain years.
> Unfortunately, a bit beyond my means, but their "basic" CdP is a very
> good QPR. I hope we will be able to visit them this summer!

Back in the era of this wine, the practice of Sabon père was to bottle
"on demand," with the result that there were multiple "tranches" that
would hit the US with very different degrees of oxidation. It is my
impression that young Thierry Sabon has done much to improve the
winemaking since his acension, and I believe that that practice has now
stopped. This bottle is the only "tête de cuvée" bottling of CdP I've
ever bought (and likely ever will). These days, the more expensive they
are the less likely I am to like them

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

> This bottle is the only "tête de cuvée" bottling of CdP I've
> ever bought (and likely ever will). These days, the more expensive they
> are the less likely I am to like them

Too much oak, by damn! Too mch oak, too high price, too many Parker points
for their own good ...

CHeers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '90 Cuve� du Papet

On Jun 6, 10:33�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, to celebrate my birthday, Jean cooked a meal of
> applewood-smoked pheasant with roasted potatoes and asparagus. �To
> accompany the bird, I opened:
>
> 1990 Clos du Mont-Olivet Cuv�e du Papet
> color: dark garnet with brick at the rim
> nose: kirsch, game, mineral, licorice, alcohol
> palate: medium body, good acidity, fruity, balanced
>
> Chosen as a wine to accompany smoked game bird, this wine perfomed
> admirably, scoring a clean 4 on the Hoare scale of food/wine pairings.
> Still young, it displayed few signs of the hot vintage (no
> roasted/pruney fruit character) and had great acidity. �Given a lofty
> 98+ by Parker at its release and bought for $26.95, this was one of the
> first wines purchased at Sam's after our move to Indiana. �My only
> complaint would be at the difficulty in getting through the %^^&%$#^&%&*
> wax capsule.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

nice notes. A belated Happy Birthday!

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

> Tonight, to celebrate my birthday, Jean cooked a meal of
> applewood-smoked pheasant with roasted potatoes and asparagus. To
> accompany the bird, I opened:
>
> 1990 Clos du Mont-Olivet Cuvée du Papet
> color: dark garnet with brick at the rim
> nose: kirsch, game, mineral, licorice, alcohol
> palate: medium body, good acidity, fruity, balanced
>
> Chosen as a wine to accompany smoked game bird, this wine perfomed
> admirably, scoring a clean 4 on the Hoare scale of food/wine pairings.
> Still young, it displayed few signs of the hot vintage (no
> roasted/pruney fruit character) and had great acidity. Given a lofty
> 98+ by Parker at its release and bought for $26.95, this was one of the
> first wines purchased at Sam's after our move to Indiana. My only
> complaint would be at the difficulty in getting through the %^^&%$#^&%&*
> wax capsule.
>
> Mark Lipton

Sounds great. Where does one get applewood smoked pheasant?
Posted to alt.food.wine

Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> Sounds great. Where does one get applewood smoked pheasant?

In the smoker located on our patio, I'm afraid ;-) If you ever want to
venture 50 mi NW of Zionsville, I'll be happy to demonstrate, Larry.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>
> > Sounds great. Where does one get applewood smoked pheasant?

> In the smoker located on our patio, I'm afraid ;-) If you ever want to
> venture 50 mi NW of Zionsville, I'll be happy to demonstrate, Larry.
>
> Mark Lipton

I'll be in Brownsburg in two weeks
Posted to alt.food.wine

Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> I'll be in Brownsburg in two weeks

Larry,
If you expect to have a free evening and would like to share a bottle
or two with or without food, drop me a line at my email address (readily
unmunged). With a three-year-old around, there's no guarantee that we
can work anything out, but it's always worth a try...

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

> Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>
> > I'll be in Brownsburg in two weeks

> Larry,
> If you expect to have a free evening and would like to share a bottle
> or two with or without food, drop me a line at my email address (readily
> unmunged). With a three-year-old around, there's no guarantee that we
> can work anything out, but it's always worth a try...
>
> Mark Lipton

Since I'm staying with someone and dependent on their transportation and
they have two young kids I doubt it can happen but thanks for the invite.

TN: Cuvee Freddy DaleW Wine 2 22-01-2010 06:51 PM
Cuvee Dee Dovey Wine 1 10-01-2010 05:55 AM
TN: Cuvee Buster with flatfish DaleW Wine 0 03-01-2010 03:36 AM
TN: Worthy Sophia's Cuvee DaleW Wine 0 13-04-2005 09:29 PM
RC-212 and Premier Cuvee Michael Winemaking 1 20-10-2003 02:56 AM