Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] More CA wines

On the last night of my stay in CA, my mother cooked a dinner of
Scottish salmon (none of the local model this year) and her housemate
Sidney opened a bottle from a recently obtained mixed case:

2006 Acacia Chardonnay Sangiacomo Vineyard
nose: green apples, stones, vanilla
palate: medium weight, moderate acidity, oak, apples

We have fond memories of some mid-'80s Acacia Chardonnays, but this was
the first one I've had for at least a decade. Very young, but well made
and quite balanced. The oak, while noticeable, wasn't overdone and
promises to integrate with a couple of years. It could use a bit more
acid for my tastes, but otherwise is a very stylish CA Chard.

2007 Edmunds St. John "Bone Jolly" Gamay Rosé
color: bright pink, almost lurid
nose: bright, strawberry fruit, a hint of minerality
palate: fruity, simple, not heavy or hot, crisp finish

After last year's stellar effort, this wine comes across as a bit
simpler and less likely to age well, but it is a happy little wine so
who really cares? Purchased from the winemaker for $16 and well worth it.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default More CA wines

On Jun 5, 3:39�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On the last night of my stay in CA, my mother cooked a dinner of
> Scottish salmon (none of the local model this year) and her housemate
> Sidney opened a bottle from a recently obtained mixed case:
>
> 2006 Acacia Chardonnay Sangiacomo Vineyard
> nose: green apples, stones, vanilla
> palate: medium weight, moderate acidity, oak, apples
>
> We have fond memories of some mid-'80s Acacia Chardonnays, but this was
> the first one I've had for at least a decade. �Very young, but well made
> and quite balanced. �The oak, while noticeable, wasn't overdone and
> promises to integrate with a couple of years. �It could use a bit more
> acid for my tastes, but otherwise is a very stylish CA Chard.
>
> 2007 Edmunds St. John "Bone Jolly" Gamay Ros�
> color: bright pink, almost lurid
> nose: bright, strawberry fruit, a hint of minerality
> palate: fruity, simple, not heavy or hot, crisp finish
>
> After last year's stellar effort, this wine comes across as a bit
> simpler and less likely to age well, but it is a happy little wine so
> who really cares? �Purchased from the winemaker for $16 and well worth it.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

thanks for notes. Morrells has the '07 ESJ pink, I got a friend who
works in Roc Center to grab a couple for me. Maybe this weekend