Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Excellent Loire Cab Franc, and a good Godello

My plan for my dinner Saturday was soft shell crab (from local
fishmonger)with pasta, but my shopping took me elsewhere. Stew
Leonards only had fried softshells, so I got one of those** plus a
grouper filet to cook. Had both with some baby bok choy with
mushrooms, leftover eggplant with peanut sauce, and the 2006 Louro Do
Bolo (Rafeal Palacios) Godello (Valdeorras). My first Godello, but
won't be my last.
Apple and white peach fruit, a little citrus, full-bodied but with
good acids. There's an Italian-like almond note on the finish, this is
a bit like a Chablis 1er meets a Falanghina. Nice wine, and a nice
wine with the food. B+

Sunday Betsy was coming back from Boston, but stopping for a quick
rehearsal for a recording. Some timing, but managed to have dinner
ready 5 minutes after her arrival. Lovely night on the patio, warm but
with a breeze and low humidity. Dinner was leg of lamb with mustard
and mint, along with carrots, salad, and leftover bok chop & fungi. I
wanted a midweight red that could stand up to the Colmans and mint,
went with the
2005 Filliatreau “La Grande Vignolle” Saumur-Champigny. Served lightly
chilled, just a lovely wine. Black cherries and red plums, a tiny hint
of a Cab Franc herbiness (not greenness, think Figeac), good
concentration. As it warms a little coffee and smoke. Clear but not
sharp acidity, easy light tannins. This has a future, but very tasty
now, not closed at all. A-

Happy night with my wife and my dog (the extra dog for a week was kind
of fun, but we were glad to be back to routine).

* I was surprised how good the takeout crab reheated was. But still
need to do my own softies while available.

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dale,

nice to see that you enjoyed Louro do Bolo 2006, which I really like and
has a good price in Spain. Its step brother, As Sortes, is a very good
wine, but I favour the freshness of the smaller wine (and is cheaper).

About "not my last bottle of Godello", be careful because there is not much
great Godello from Valdeorras. Louro do Bolo could be as good as it gets.
Perhaps Guitián is a runner up, but there is not much else.

Best,

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 2, 6:12�pm, santiago > wrote:
> Dale,
>
> nice to see that you enjoyed Louro do Bolo 2006, which I really like and
> has a good price in Spain. Its step brother, As Sortes, is a very good
> wine, but I favour the freshness of the smaller wine (and is cheaper).
>
> About "not my last bottle of Godello", be careful because there is not much
> great Godello from Valdeorras. Louro do Bolo could be as good as it gets.
> Perhaps Guiti�n is a runner up, but there is not much else.
>
> Best,
>
> s.

thanks, I won't buy blindly!
Most wines from most places are junk.

[TN] Good Godello Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 23-08-2012 06:47 AM
TN: Nice Campania, ok pink and Godello, and a good Burg maybe goingover the edge DaleW Wine 3 14-10-2011 07:50 AM
TN: Good god, Godello! DaleW Wine 2 05-08-2009 01:39 PM
TN: Loire Cab Franc DaleW Wine 0 26-02-2008 02:34 PM
TN: Excellent Loire red DaleW Wine 0 27-09-2006 03:43 PM