Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: Memorial Day wines

Monday we were blessed with an absolutely lovely day. 40 or 50 friends
converged on our backyard (well, the croquet was in front yard). We
had a couple of 13 year olds to help, but their main responsibilities
were keeping the Basset Hound and our houseguest English Spaniel from
stealing people's food. These things are a lot of work, but I really
enjoy. Betsy and I supplied a grain salad, mango salsa, some
porterhouses, chicken/feta/spinach sausage, franks, Japanese eggplant
with peanut sauce, poat dot (Cambodian corn) and chile shrimp. Others
brought a great assortment of food, I remember a quiche, 2 green
salads, a very hot chickpea dish, marinated veggies, assorted dips and
salsas, pasta salads, and cheeses,. The kids (young and old) loved
the variety of desserts, but as I don't partake I can't comment.

I put out an assortment of wines (some were never opened), beers, and
juice. Others also brought wines:

The whites

2006 von Buhl "Armand" Riesling Kabinett
Got that 2006 ripeness/heft, but not much followthrough. Red cherries
and peaches, needs a little more on the finish. B

2006 Querciola Roero Arneis
A little floral note, hint of minerals, lighter styled with a touch of
sweetness. Not a lot there. B-

The pinks

2007 Cantalupo "Il Mimo" Rosato,
My first try this year of a perennial favorite. Cherries, tar, and
substance, a rosé than can stand up to steak. Quite structured, not an
apertif pink. B+

2007 Bieler Pere et Fils "Sabine" *Coteaux d'Aix-en- Provence
Glad to be rid of these. Thin, lacking in concentration, acidity, and
interest. Others liked more. C+

NV Barefoot White Zinfandel
Yikes. Someone who had heard me sing the praises of rosés said they
had a new favorite for me to try. He brings me a glass, I take a slurp
of what turns out to be sweet glop. I'm kind of in shock, as he waits
expectantly. "Um, certainly light and sweet" I say, which seems to
satisfy. I decide its time to take a break from grill, manage to
detour by the sink. C

The reds

2004 Brovia "Villerina Secca" Freisa
I really like this. A touch frizzante, very floral, bright black
cherry fruit. This has some body and structure. B+

2003 Box o Birds Pinot Noir (Central Otago)
Quite popular with the crowd, I'm a bit less enthused. Lighter PN with
a touch of 5-spice, but there's a slightly medicinal note that really
puts me off (others seem not to notice). C+/B-

2004 Pierre Matrot Meursault
I liked this a bit better than a previous try. There is a green note,
but not as bad as I remember -comes across as more herby than I
remember. . Black plum and cherry fruit, a bit tannic. B-

1995 Champy Beaune 1er Cru
Best showing of these yet. Tart at first,but with an hour or so of air
fills out well. Some oak in background, with dark cherries and lots of
damp soil notes. B/B+

2006 Jean Paul Brun (Terres Dorees) "L'Ancien" Beaujolais
I'm sure many have heard the story of how the 2007 was denied the use
of "Beaujolais" on label because it was "atypical." If it's like the
2006 (and earlier vintages), it's atypical because it is so good. Dark
berries, flowers, light tannins, good acidity. Food friendly and just
plain friendly. B+

2006 Borsao (Campo di Borja)
Easy, straightforward, red fruit forward, a little spice. B/B-

2006 Affreschi Nero d'Avola
Low acid, some tannins, red fruit, ok. B-

2004 Trentadue "Geyserville" Merlot (Alexander Valley)
Black plum fruit, not much oak, nice flavor profile. Good, but not
distinctive. B-/B

OK, so not an outstanding wine day (though the Il Mimo, Friesa, and .
Brun Beaujolais shine as values). Some of my wines I was more eager to
try didn't get opened (let guests choose what they wanted)- they'll
live to reappear another day. We were mostly geekless so I didn't pull
out any heavy hitters. But the important thing was we (adults, kids,
dogs) had a great time together.

TN: Memorial Day wines DaleW Wine 0 28-05-2014 02:55 AM
TN: Memorial Day weekend wines DaleW Wine 2 31-05-2013 03:34 AM
TN: Memorial Day - lots of wines DaleW Wine 3 31-05-2011 07:39 PM
TN: Memorial Day wines from all over DaleW Wine 0 01-06-2010 06:17 PM
TN: Memorial Day wines (all $20 or under, even the '71 Domaine deChevalier) DaleW Wine 3 27-05-2009 01:45 PM