Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Ponsot, Voge, Dominus, Warres, Fonseca, Essencia

Lunch notes (blind tasting)

With spot prawns in pirirpiri sauce

2003 Alain Voge St. Peray Fleur de Crussol – this white made from 70
year old Marsanne and iven5 months in oak was reall exceptional. Lots
of colour, and a lovely old Marsanne nose with wax and peach. Smooth
and almost viscous on palate, with very good acidity, this is the best
white St. Peray I can recall tasting.

With steak tartare

2004 Ponsot Chambolle Musigny Les Charmes – another interesting one
from an excellent producer. This had a nose that showed blood, iron
and cherries in the nose, and while there is still significant tannin
it has good development and drinks well now. Good acidity.

1995 Jade Mountain Mourvedre – this turned out to be pretty
interesting as wwell as a bit of a poser, though I didn’t expect them
to get it. Mint, black currants and rose petals in the nose, smooth
and with good length in the mouth. Needs to be drunk, but still in
good shape and showing more complexity than the other 99% that was
probably drunk up in the first 2 years.

with duck confit, breast and purple potato gallette

1999 Clos du Mount Olivet Chateauneuf du Pape – oddly enough almost
all of us swore this must be Italian based on the very nebbiolo nose.
The edges showed some lightening, and it was medium weight, good
balance, with a long juicy finish and good structure, ready to roll.
Outperformed expectations.

1990 Dominus – this bottle was so French that when we were told it
wasn’t, we (that includes myself) floundered around the rest of the
world before even thinking about California. Excellent fruit, well
balanced, some cedar and currant in the nose, and smooth and long on
palate. I could easily have believed it was a Bordeaux of the same
vintage. Modest tannin and good acidity.

with cheese

1976 Monimpex Tokay Essencia – sweet Maderised nose and the colour of
old amber, tailing into light brown. Sweet but also had lots of
acidity so it drank very well.

1977 Warres Port – from a half bottle, this was getting rather pale
and sadly was showing a hint of what 2 of us were sure was TCA but
others thought was just mustiness. Either way, it detracted from what
the wine could have been. Not bad though. I must pull a whole bottle
of this sometime soon (assuming I can find it) to compare.

1994 Fonseca – I also have this in full bottle (this was also a half)
and I’m glad I do, although this was veritable infanticide. Quite a
ripe nose, dark wine, not too sweet, I got a lot of different things
in the nose including mushroom and anise. Quite raisiny. Needs time
but will be very good.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bill S." > wrote:

> 1999 Clos du Mount Olivet Chateauneuf du Pape – oddly enough almost
> all of us swore this must be Italian based on the very nebbiolo nose.
> The edges showed some lightening, and it was medium weight, good
> balance, with a long juicy finish and good structure, ready to roll.
> Outperformed expectations.

Is the Mont Olivet holding up well or has it peaked? I have a single
bottle of the 1995 I've been meaning to open, but not sure when's the
best time. I don't have a lot of experience with CdP but want to try to
get it at its best...

Thanks for the review!
Posted to alt.food.wine

No reason to hold it - I think it has peaked, but haven't tasted it
for quite awhile.

[TN] Drouhin St Veran, Voge Cornas Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 03-05-2010 02:50 PM
Taittinger, Usseglio, Ponsot, etc Bi!! Wine 0 22-02-2008 08:16 PM
93, 92 Rousseau, 85 Warres Bill S. Wine 0 12-01-2008 04:02 PM
1976 Margaux, 1975 Warres Bill S. Wine 1 04-12-2006 03:05 AM
Fonseca Bill S. Wine 0 11-11-2005 06:28 PM