Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Rochiolli

At long last I got my letter welcoming me from the waiting list to the
mailing list. Now I'm in a quandry. I have enjoyed their Pinot Noirs
in the past, yet the last couple of times I was in their tasting room,
I was unimpressed. That has been a couple of years ago.

Does anyone have any recent experience with Rochiolli, and any
knowledge of changes in winemaker or any such?

JB

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Ronin > wrote:

> At long last I got my letter welcoming me from the waiting list to the
> mailing list. Now I'm in a quandry. I have enjoyed their Pinot Noirs
> in the past, yet the last couple of times I was in their tasting room,
> I was unimpressed. That has been a couple of years ago.
>
> Does anyone have any recent experience with Rochiolli, and any
> knowledge of changes in winemaker or any such?
>
> JB

*
Rochioli (no double-l) is noted for PN from the Russian River area. It
is an old winery -- more than 100 years.

The PNs are fairly expensive -- say $35 to $70 and clearly have a very
good reputation. They have a five-year waiting list for their best
wines.

I believe Rochioli received a brief mention in "Sideways" (the book, not
the movie.)

earle
*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2008-07-27 14:53:46 -0700, Earle Jones > said:

> In article >,
> Ronin > wrote:
>
>> At long last I got my letter welcoming me from the waiting list to the
>> mailing list. Now I'm in a quandry. I have enjoyed their Pinot Noirs
>> in the past, yet the last couple of times I was in their tasting room,
>> I was unimpressed. That has been a couple of years ago.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recent experience with Rochiolli, and any
>> knowledge of changes in winemaker or any such?
>>
>> JB

> *
> Rochioli (no double-l) is noted for PN from the Russian River area. It
> is an old winery -- more than 100 years.
>
> The PNs are fairly expensive -- say $35 to $70 and clearly have a very
> good reputation. They have a five-year waiting list for their best
> wines.
>
> I believe Rochioli received a brief mention in "Sideways" (the book, not
> the movie.)
>
> earle
> *

Thanks for the response, Earle... I know about Rochioli (double L must
have been a wine induced stutter) have for years enlisted my sister and
friends in Santa Rosa so I could buy more than one bottle at the
tasting room. My question was that suddenly, the PN's were not to my
taste, and I hadn't seen any info about a change of ownership or
winemaker or anything to account for the change except for my advancing
age, perhaps. I was wondering if anyone knew of some changes at the
winery? I didn't want to be on the mailing list if I were not going to
use it, nor did I want to give up the place if it was just a couple of
bad years (to my taste) in the Russian River Valley.

I subsequently accepted the place on the mailing list, and we shall see...

JB

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Ronin > wrote:

> On 2008-07-27 14:53:46 -0700, Earle Jones > said:
>
> > In article >,
> > Ronin > wrote:
> >
> >> At long last I got my letter welcoming me from the waiting list to the
> >> mailing list. Now I'm in a quandry. I have enjoyed their Pinot Noirs
> >> in the past, yet the last couple of times I was in their tasting room,
> >> I was unimpressed. That has been a couple of years ago.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any recent experience with Rochiolli, and any
> >> knowledge of changes in winemaker or any such?
> >>
> >> JB

> > *
> > Rochioli (no double-l) is noted for PN from the Russian River area. It
> > is an old winery -- more than 100 years.
> >
> > The PNs are fairly expensive -- say $35 to $70 and clearly have a very
> > good reputation. They have a five-year waiting list for their best
> > wines.
> >
> > I believe Rochioli received a brief mention in "Sideways" (the book, not
> > the movie.)
> >
> > earle
> > *

> Thanks for the response, Earle... I know about Rochioli (double L must
> have been a wine induced stutter) have for years enlisted my sister and
> friends in Santa Rosa so I could buy more than one bottle at the
> tasting room. My question was that suddenly, the PN's were not to my
> taste, and I hadn't seen any info about a change of ownership or
> winemaker or anything to account for the change except for my advancing
> age, perhaps. I was wondering if anyone knew of some changes at the
> winery? I didn't want to be on the mailing list if I were not going to
> use it, nor did I want to give up the place if it was just a couple of
> bad years (to my taste) in the Russian River Valley.
>
> I subsequently accepted the place on the mailing list, and we shall see...
>
> JB

I was just there earlier in the month and noted no change in the PN's.
The last one you had may have been a bad year but so far I don't see
them adding Petit Syrah as many of the other CA PN winemakers seem to be
doing. I bought 4 bottles but I am on their list as of last year.