Posted to alt.food.wine

Default ISO Wine Glass

The thread "Where to buy basic stemware?" got me thinking. I know this
topic is spent, but went back to some of my old books. "ACADEMIE DU VIN
COMPLETE WINE COURSE" by Steven Spurrier and Michel Dovaz (1983! God, I'm
old..) . The glass they describe is:

Total Height: 155mm +- 5
Bowl Height: 100mm +- 2
Base and stem height: 55 mm +- 3
Diameter of top: 46mm +- 2
Diameter of bowl at its widest: 65 mm +- 2
Thickness of stem: 9mm +- 1
Diameter of base: 65mm +- 1
Total capacity: 215ml +- 10
Tasting quantity: 50ml

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 13, 4:12�pm, "Evan Keel" > wrote:
> The thread �"Where to buy basic stemware?" got me thinking. I know this
> topic is spent, but went back to some of my old books. "ACADEMIE DU VIN
> COMPLETE WINE COURSE" �by Steven Spurrier and Michel Dovaz (1983! God, I'm
> old..) . �The glass they describe is:
>
> Total Height: 155mm +- 5
> Bowl Height: 100mm +- 2
> Base and stem height: 55 mm +- 3
> Diameter of top: 46mm +- 2
> Diameter of bowl at its widest: �65 mm +- 2
> Thickness of stem: 9mm +- 1
> Diameter of base: 65mm +- 1
> Total capacity: 215ml +- 10
> Tasting quantity: 50ml

The ISO/INAO glasses are very small for drinking, and the design was
chosen for standardization of judging small samples,
I've never heard anyone say they are best glass for drinking. If
anything they accentuate any flaws.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
On May 13, 4:12?pm, "Evan Keel" > wrote:
> The thread ?"Where to buy basic stemware?" got me thinking. I know this
> topic is spent, but went back to some of my old books. "ACADEMIE DU VIN
> COMPLETE WINE COURSE" ?by Steven Spurrier and Michel Dovaz (1983! God, I'm
> old..) . ?The glass they describe is:
>
> Total Height: 155mm +- 5
> Bowl Height: 100mm +- 2
> Base and stem height: 55 mm +- 3
> Diameter of top: 46mm +- 2
> Diameter of bowl at its widest: ?65 mm +- 2
> Thickness of stem: 9mm +- 1
> Diameter of base: 65mm +- 1
> Total capacity: 215ml +- 10
> Tasting quantity: 50ml

>The ISO/INAO glasses are very small for drinking, and the design was
>chosen for standardization of judging small samples,
>I've never heard anyone say they are best glass for drinking. If
>anything they accentuate any flaws.

Pat Simon in Wine-Tasters' Logic describes a similar glass. Surface-Tension
theory or something like that.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Evan Keel" > wrote in message
> The thread "Where to buy basic stemware?" got me thinking. I know this
> topic is spent, but went back to some of my old books. "ACADEMIE DU VIN
> COMPLETE WINE COURSE" by Steven Spurrier and Michel Dovaz (1983! God, I'm
> old..) . The glass they describe is:
>
> Total Height: 155mm +- 5
> Bowl Height: 100mm +- 2
> Base and stem height: 55 mm +- 3
> Diameter of top: 46mm +- 2
> Diameter of bowl at its widest: 65 mm +- 2
> Thickness of stem: 9mm +- 1
> Diameter of base: 65mm +- 1
> Total capacity: 215ml +- 10
> Tasting quantity: 50ml

The intro to this book was by Michael Broadbent. Broadbent's reviews were
pure poetry. My two favorite wine writers at the time were Broadbent and a
guy named Gerald Asher.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I have used ISO's for 30 years for tastings and everyday slurping, they are
tough and longlasting.....16 quid in UK for 6.
For "proper" wines, I am afraid you cannot beat Riedels, " you pays your
money etc"

JT

No report from Solihull Fine Wine society this month as I missed last nights
Madeira tasting because of gut rot after an iffy pub sandwich>

Wine by the glass in the US James Silverton[_4_] Wine 12 15-08-2008 01:50 PM
A glass of wine? Richard Vegan 7 07-10-2007 10:58 PM
Your first good glass of wine Rich R Wine 22 16-06-2004 01:23 AM
Wine scented- Wine glass candles for SALE! Diana L. Tucker Winemaking 0 18-02-2004 04:16 PM
Wine glass style for red zin? Walter L. Preuninger II Wine 6 02-11-2003 04:06 PM