Posted to alt.food.wine

Default A new entry in the closure wars

Last night, we had our research groups over for dinner. Jean had picked
up some inexpensive wines to open, including a 2006 Woop Woop Shiraz, a
simple, grapey and soft wine that went fairly well with the steaks and
Jamaican jerk chicken (not so well with the plank-grilled salmon). The
most unique feature of the Woop Woop, though was the enclosure for the
bottle. It looked like a black wax capsule, but was made of plastic.
There was a tab on bottom to peel the plastic off, so I began. After
removing a small amount of the plastic, the remaining piece lifted off
the top of the bottle with a small hiss -- it was a hard plastic cap
held under pressure! Neither Jean nor I had ever seen the like of this,
and I couldn't find a name on the plastic remnants. Very entertaining
for the low price of admission.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Last night, we had our research groups over for dinner. Jean had picked
> up some inexpensive wines to open, including a 2006 Woop Woop Shiraz, a
> simple, grapey and soft wine that went fairly well with the steaks and
> Jamaican jerk chicken (not so well with the plank-grilled salmon). The
> most unique feature of the Woop Woop, though was the enclosure for the
> bottle. It looked like a black wax capsule, but was made of plastic.
> There was a tab on bottom to peel the plastic off, so I began. After
> removing a small amount of the plastic, the remaining piece lifted off
> the top of the bottle with a small hiss -- it was a hard plastic cap
> held under pressure! Neither Jean nor I had ever seen the like of this,
> and I couldn't find a name on the plastic remnants. Very entertaining
> for the low price of admission.
>
> Mark Lipton

A ZORK! http://www.zork.com.au/

-Bruce
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Last night, we had our research groups over for dinner. Jean had picked
> up some inexpensive wines to open, including a 2006 Woop Woop Shiraz, a
> simple, grapey and soft wine that went fairly well with the steaks and
> Jamaican jerk chicken (not so well with the plank-grilled salmon). The
> most unique feature of the Woop Woop, though was the enclosure for the
> bottle. It looked like a black wax capsule, but was made of plastic.
> There was a tab on bottom to peel the plastic off, so I began. After
> removing a small amount of the plastic, the remaining piece lifted off
> the top of the bottle with a small hiss -- it was a hard plastic cap
> held under pressure! Neither Jean nor I had ever seen the like of this,
> and I couldn't find a name on the plastic remnants. Very entertaining
> for the low price of admission.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Mark,
Did you try to re-cap the bottle? I'm interested to know if the cap would
reseal tightly enough to lay the bottle on it's side in the fridge (with
confidence you wouldn't find a puddle of wine on the floor later).

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

I believe it is called a Zork.
"Zeppo" > wrote in message

> "Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
>> Last night, we had our research groups over for dinner. Jean had picked
>> up some inexpensive wines to open, including a 2006 Woop Woop Shiraz, a
>> simple, grapey and soft wine that went fairly well with the steaks and
>> Jamaican jerk chicken (not so well with the plank-grilled salmon). The
>> most unique feature of the Woop Woop, though was the enclosure for the
>> bottle. It looked like a black wax capsule, but was made of plastic.
>> There was a tab on bottom to peel the plastic off, so I began. After
>> removing a small amount of the plastic, the remaining piece lifted off
>> the top of the bottle with a small hiss -- it was a hard plastic cap
>> held under pressure! Neither Jean nor I had ever seen the like of this,
>> and I couldn't find a name on the plastic remnants. Very entertaining
>> for the low price of admission.
>>
>> Mark Lipton
>> --
>> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

> Mark,
> Did you try to re-cap the bottle? I'm interested to know if the cap would
> reseal tightly enough to lay the bottle on it's side in the fridge (with
> confidence you wouldn't find a puddle of wine on the floor later).
>
> Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 11 May 2008 02:18:50 -0400, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Last night, we had our research groups over for dinner. Jean had picked
>up some inexpensive wines to open, including a 2006 Woop Woop Shiraz, a
>simple, grapey and soft wine that went fairly well with the steaks and
>Jamaican jerk chicken (not so well with the plank-grilled salmon). The
>most unique feature of the Woop Woop, though was the enclosure for the
>bottle. It looked like a black wax capsule, but was made of plastic.
>There was a tab on bottom to peel the plastic off, so I began. After
>removing a small amount of the plastic, the remaining piece lifted off
>the top of the bottle with a small hiss -- it was a hard plastic cap
>held under pressure! Neither Jean nor I had ever seen the like of this,
>and I couldn't find a name on the plastic remnants. Very entertaining
>for the low price of admission.
>
>Mark Lipton

Sounds like an Aussie invention Mark...the Zork.

One of my fave boutique Shiraz (Barristers Block ex Barossa) began
using them a few years ago.

hooroo....