Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '06 Domäne Wachau Grüner

Saturday night's dinner consisted of scallops and Patagonian Toothfish
pan-seared and served with a mango-papaya-avocado salsa of the non-spicy
variety. With this, we opened:

2006 Domäne Wachau Grüner Veltliner Federspiel ($11.99)
nose: intense minerality, green pea
palate: crisp acidity, wet stones, a bit of white peach underneath a
vivid green element, light body

This opened for a Grüner-loving friend of ours (no winegeek she, but GV
has now totally eclipsed NZ SB in her world... at least until the $
takes another hard slide against the ‚¬) following another bottle of the
current-release Foreau Vouvray Brut (toastier than previous bottles,
still yummy). This wine is the product of the local grower's
co-operative (Freie Weingärtner Wachau) and is one of the great QPR
wines of the moment. Purchased at Whole Foods on a recent excursion to
Chicago.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '06 Domäne Wachau Grüner

On May 5, 12:43*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Saturday night's dinner consisted of scallops and Patagonian Toothfish
> pan-seared and served with a mango-papaya-avocado salsa of the non-spicy
> variety. *With this, we opened:
>
> 2006 Domäne Wachau Grüner Veltliner Federspiel ($11.99)
> nose: intense minerality, green pea
> palate: crisp acidity, wet stones, a bit of white peach underneath a
> vivid green element, light body
>
> This opened for a Grüner-loving friend of ours (no winegeek she, but GV
> has now totally eclipsed NZ SB in her world... at least until the $
> takes another hard slide against the €) following another bottle of the
> current-release Foreau Vouvray Brut (toastier than previous bottles,
> still yummy). *This wine is the product of the local grower's
> co-operative (Freie Weingärtner Wachau) and is one of the great QPR
> wines of the moment. *Purchased at Whole Foods on a recent excursion to
> Chicago.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

thanks. I have an order to pick up at Zachys, they have and I'll grab
some.
I think I've said before, to me only the Produttori del Barbaresco
can equal Domane Wachau/FWW among co-ops.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 5, 12:43*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Saturday night's dinner consisted of scallops and Patagonian Toothfish
> pan-seared and served with a mango-papaya-avocado salsa of the non-spicy
> variety. *With this, we opened:
>
> 2006 Domäne Wachau Grüner Veltliner Federspiel ($11.99)
> nose: intense minerality, green pea
> palate: crisp acidity, wet stones, a bit of white peach underneath a
> vivid green element, light body
>
> This opened for a Grüner-loving friend of ours (no winegeek she, but GV
> has now totally eclipsed NZ SB in her world... at least until the $
> takes another hard slide against the €) following another bottle of the
> current-release Foreau Vouvray Brut (toastier than previous bottles,
> still yummy). *This wine is the product of the local grower's
> co-operative (Freie Weingärtner Wachau) and is one of the great QPR
> wines of the moment. *Purchased at Whole Foods on a recent excursion to
> Chicago.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

I got this at Zachys last week. I wrote this up - maybe I remembered
your notes, but very similar:
Betsy was working Sunday, I had dinner ready soon after she got home.
Grilled sage pork chops, cauliflower with pimenton, and leftover red
cabbage slaw (she made a bunch!). Recipe called for PN as a match for
the chops, but I worried re the pimenton, and went with white. I
opened the 2006 Domane Wachau "Terrassen" Gruner Veltliner
Federspiel . This has more weight than the 2004, though it is a
sprightly wine. Ripe apple and white pit fruit with a little green
lentil and pepper. Good acidity, nice finish for the level, I get some
wet rock minerality after a while (didn't come through the fruit at
first). Good wine, and a great value at $11.99. B/B+

[TN] '09 Domäne Wachau GV Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 28-03-2011 03:06 AM
TN: Bdx, CA, NM, and Wachau DaleW Wine 0 13-12-2010 01:54 PM
TN: 2 Riesling (Wachau, MSR), 1 PN (Chambolle) DaleW Wine 0 23-02-2010 12:49 AM
TN: Cali PN and Wachau GV DaleW Wine 11 30-03-2009 08:02 PM
TN: 04 Domane Wachau GV DaleW Wine 0 16-08-2006 06:56 PM