Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Artichokes

Hello All!

There was a discussion about artichokes with vinaigrettes but it
quickly diverged into a discussion of aperitifs derived from
artichokes. I can't think of a wine that would not be spoilt by
drinking it while eating artichokes dipped in melted butter,
flavored mayonnaises or vinaigrettes. Has anyone ever enjoyed a
wine with artichokes?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.wine

James Silverton wrote:

> There was a discussion about artichokes with vinaigrettes but it quickly
> diverged into a discussion of aperitifs derived from artichokes. I can't
> think of a wine that would not be spoilt by drinking it while eating
> artichokes dipped in melted butter, flavored mayonnaises or
> vinaigrettes. Has anyone ever enjoyed a wine with artichokes?

No. I don't try too hard, though. Artichokes tend to impart a jarring
sweetness to wine that I find actively unpleasant. So, I'll drink water
with artichoke and wait to have the wine later.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 5, 9:09 am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> There was a discussion about artichokes with vinaigrettes but it
> quickly diverged into a discussion of aperitifs derived from
> artichokes. I can't think of a wine that would not be spoilt by
> drinking it while eating artichokes dipped in melted butter,
> flavored mayonnaises or vinaigrettes. Has anyone ever enjoyed a
> wine with artichokes?

I tend to agree with Mark Lipton and avoid wine with artichokes. If
artichoke hearts or bottoms are used as a garnish, as in several old
fashioned French dishes, you can make the best of the situation by
eating the artichoke after a bite of the meat, then have another bite
of meat, have a sip of wine and continue the process. Bites of meat on
either side of a bite of artichoke tend to clear the palate.

Some people apparently will tolerate a not-too-fine wine with
artichokes. Hugh Johnson suggests an incisive dry white such as a New
Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, Cotes de Gascogne, or modern Greek with
artichoke viinaigrette. He also suggests a young Bordeaux or Cotes du
Rhone red. For artichoke with hollandaise he suggests a full-bodied
slightly crisp dry white such as Pouilly-Fuisse, Pfalz spatlese, or a
Carneros or Yarra Valley Chardonnay.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 5, 11:43�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
> > There was a discussion about artichokes with vinaigrettes but it quickly
> > diverged into a discussion of aperitifs derived from artichokes. I can't
> > think of a wine that would not be spoilt by drinking it while eating
> > artichokes dipped in melted butter, flavored mayonnaises or
> > vinaigrettes. Has anyone ever enjoyed a wine with artichokes?

> No. �I don't try too hard, though. �Artichokes tend to impart a jarring
> sweetness to wine that I find actively unpleasant. �So, I'll drink water
> with artichoke and wait to have the wine later.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Yeah, Badoit is about best match I've tried.

Following cwdjrxyz's thoughts, I wonder what would happen with a
painfully austere young white, say a Savennieres? Could the sweetness
effect make it seem like sec-tendre or demi-sec Vouvray?
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote on Mon, 5 May 2008 11:01:47 -0700 (PDT):

> On May 5, 11:43�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
>> James Silverton wrote:
> >> There was a discussion about artichokes with vinaigrettes
> >> but it quickly diverged into a discussion of aperitifs
> >> derived from artichokes. I can't think of a wine that would
> >> not be spoilt by drinking it while eating artichokes dipped
> >> in melted butter, flavored mayonnaises or vinaigrettes. Has
> >> anyone ever enjoyed a wine with artichokes?

>> No. �I don't try too hard, though. �Artichokes tend to impart
>> a jarring sweetness to wine that I find actively unpleasant.
>> �So, I'll drink water with artichoke and wait to have the
>> wine later.

> Yeah, Badoit is about best match I've tried.

I think I agree with drinking water. I once had a bottle of NZ
Sauvignon Blanc open and sipped a little. It was not a success,
tho' after drinking some water, I could enjoy the wine with the
rest of the meal.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi > wrote in
:

A good fino goes quite well with artichokes. Amontillado, also. But if
butter is involved.... I would go with water.

Best,

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike wrote on Tue, 06 May 2008 13:13:01 +0200:

> Mike Tommasi wrote:
>> santiago wrote:
>>> Mike Tommasi > wrote in
>>> :
>>> A good fino goes quite well with artichokes. Amontillado,
>>> also. But if butter is involved.... I would go with water.

>> I would use olive oil of course, and yes fino goes with
>> everything...

> Also depends on what kind of artichokes.

> Some people like the large ones, boiled and served with a
> vinaigrette - in this case these rather tasteless fibrous and
> harshly tannic artichokes are dominated by the sauce, and this
> will determine the wine match, if any. Most French people
> PREFER these giant things, I have no idea why anyone would eat
> this, might as well serve cardboard in vinaigrette.

I'd make an exception too for small artichokes cooked as you
mention but I rather like the large artichokes even if only the
ends of the "leaves" and the heart are edible. A dipping sauce
is necessary I think but to each their own!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 6, 8:44�am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> �Mike �wrote �on Tue, 06 May 2008 13:13:01 +0200:
>

> > Mike Tommasi wrote:
> :

> >> I would use olive oil of course, and yes fino goes with
> >> everything...

> > Also depends on what kind of artichokes.
> > Some people like the large ones, boiled and served with a
> > vinaigrette - in this case these rather tasteless fibrous and
> > harshly tannic artichokes are dominated by the sauce, and this
> > will determine the wine match, if any. Most French people
> > PREFER these giant things, I have no idea why anyone would eat
> > this, might as well serve cardboard in vinaigrette.

> I'd make an exception too for small artichokes cooked as you
> mention but I rather like the large artichokes even if only the
> ends of the "leaves" and the heart are edible. A dipping sauce
> is necessary I think but to each their own!
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not- Hide quoted text -

I prefer the small artichokes, but years ago sometimes did an
appetizer using the inner leaves of the large ones as a "spoon" ,
topping with creme fraiche (or homemade mayo) and salmon roe,.Easy and
pretty popular.
Posted to alt.food.wine

wrote:

> Otherwise the small artichokes (Provence, most of Italy, usally purple
> coloured, with thorns at the end of each leaf that need to be cut off)
> get prepared with oil, garlic and parsley, letting the water boil away
> completely leaving the artichokes almost sweet with a very rounded
> astringency. These can go well with Santiago's suggestions, or even
> certain rosés.

Sounds like Carciofi alla Giudea, one of my favorite dishes.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Has anyone ever enjoyed a wine with artichokes?

Yes, I did. In principle only with artichokes with hollandaise,
not with vinaigrette. In this case I tend to serve the same wine
as with asparagus with hollandaise: A full bodied (13%) dry white
without any wood, something like an Austrian chardonnay, pinot
blanc, pinot gris, neuburger, zierfandler or rotgipfler, of at
least 4 to 5 years of age.

That works perfectly with me.

M.

my artichokes Gill Smith General Cooking 25 26-01-2011 05:57 PM
Artichokes Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 22-06-2010 05:34 AM
Artichokes serene General Cooking 38 16-01-2007 06:02 PM
Artichokes Debbie General Cooking 13 03-07-2005 05:16 AM
Artichokes.. archergirl General Cooking 23 12-02-2005 06:44 PM