Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Patriarche Gevrey-Chambertin 1998

Hello
Lo these many moons ago self and Xina visited, for the first time,
Bourgogne - back in 2001, in autumn. The trip was gorgeous, not least
because of various tips, recommendations, invitations et alia provided by
Good Guy Jim Tanner.
However, among the places we visited, we tended to return to the wine bar in
the Atheneum - a solidly touristic place in centre Beaune, a bookshop,
souvenir shop and, as alred stated, a wine bar (with what the English would
call off-licence). It must have been the last afternoon before going home,
we had taken a hike along the ridge over Meursault for several hours
(beautiful view of the vineyards, and if not for the pollution, you might
have been able to spot the Alps) and decided to take a quick glass in the
wine bar. This led to aquiring the bottle in question. It has since rested
in the cool and quiet of our cellar, I had all but forgotten it, but, during
a recent speleological endeavour, found it, tucked in to a corner of said
cellar. Xina had aquired a mature Epoisse.
If I remember correctly, Patriarche P & F does not have a terribly good
reputation, and, in Sweden, they are mostly notable for their negociant
Beaujolais-Patriarche, said to be brought back to France, by French
visitors, to marvel at and show their friends, to make them realise the
total alienness of Swedes.
But I digress.
The bottle was in good condition, good fill, no leakage. Cork slid out
easily enough and was sound.
[C] For a PN, rather dark, grenade, a hint of brick on the edge.
[N] Mostly undergrowth, a bit funky, still traces of red fruit (raspberries,
strawberries)
[P] Very satisfying - a concentrate of ripe strawberries, elegant tannines,
a dry, minerally finish. We were slightly in disaccord about the pairing, I
thought it was good, Xina found the cheese a bit on the heavy side.
Good now, but will keep for at least another 5 years we think.

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Patriarche Gevrey-Chambertin 1998

On May 1, 7:23�am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> Hello
> Lo these many moons ago self and Xina visited, for the first time,
> Bourgogne - back in 2001, in autumn. The trip was gorgeous, not least
> because of various tips, recommendations, invitations et alia provided by
> Good Guy Jim Tanner.
> However, among the places we visited, we tended to return to the wine bar in
> the Atheneum - a solidly touristic place in centre Beaune, a bookshop,
> souvenir shop and, as alred stated, a wine bar (with what the English would
> call off-licence). It must have been the last afternoon before going home,
> we had taken a hike along the ridge over Meursault for several hours
> (beautiful view of the vineyards, and if not for the pollution, you might
> have been able to spot the Alps) and decided to take a quick glass in the
> wine bar. This led to aquiring the bottle in question. It has since rested
> in the cool and quiet of our cellar, I had all but forgotten it, but, during
> a recent speleological endeavour, found it, tucked in to a corner of said
> cellar. Xina had aquired a mature Epoisse.
> If I remember correctly, Patriarche P & F does not have a terribly good
> reputation, and, in Sweden, they are mostly notable for their negociant
> Beaujolais-Patriarche, said to be brought back to France, by French
> visitors, to marvel at and show their friends, to make them realise the
> total alienness of Swedes.
> But I digress.
> The bottle was in good condition, good fill, no leakage. Cork slid out
> easily enough and was sound.
> [C] For a PN, rather dark, grenade, a hint of brick on the edge.
> [N] Mostly undergrowth, a bit funky, still traces of red fruit (raspberries,
> strawberries)
> [P] Very satisfying - a concentrate of ripe strawberries, elegant tannines,
> a dry, minerally finish. We were slightly in disaccord about the pairing, I
> thought it was good, Xina found the cheese a bit on the heavy side.
> Good now, but will keep for at least another 5 years we think.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

Thanks for the note Nils. My 98's are beginning to fade.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 1, 7:23�am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> Hello
> Lo these many moons ago self and Xina visited, for the first time,
> Bourgogne - back in 2001, in autumn. The trip was gorgeous, not least
> because of various tips, recommendations, invitations et alia provided by
> Good Guy Jim Tanner.
> However, among the places we visited, we tended to return to the wine bar in
> the Atheneum - a solidly touristic place in centre Beaune, a bookshop,
> souvenir shop and, as alred stated, a wine bar (with what the English would
> call off-licence). It must have been the last afternoon before going home,
> we had taken a hike along the ridge over Meursault for several hours
> (beautiful view of the vineyards, and if not for the pollution, you might
> have been able to spot the Alps) and decided to take a quick glass in the
> wine bar. This led to aquiring the bottle in question. It has since rested
> in the cool and quiet of our cellar, I had all but forgotten it, but, during
> a recent speleological endeavour, found it, tucked in to a corner of said
> cellar. Xina had aquired a mature Epoisse.
> If I remember correctly, Patriarche P & F does not have a terribly good
> reputation, and, in Sweden, they are mostly notable for their negociant
> Beaujolais-Patriarche, said to be brought back to France, by French
> visitors, to marvel at and show their friends, to make them realise the
> total alienness of Swedes.
> But I digress.
> The bottle was in good condition, good fill, no leakage. Cork slid out
> easily enough and was sound.
> [C] For a PN, rather dark, grenade, a hint of brick on the edge.
> [N] Mostly undergrowth, a bit funky, still traces of red fruit (raspberries,
> strawberries)
> [P] Very satisfying - a concentrate of ripe strawberries, elegant tannines,
> a dry, minerally finish. We were slightly in disaccord about the pairing, I
> thought it was good, Xina found the cheese a bit on the heavy side.
> Good now, but will keep for at least another 5 years we think.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

thanks for honest note. I don't know I've ever seen a positive comment
about a Patriarche wine!