Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Saumur, MSR, and one big Bourgogne PTG

Over 6 days (orginally used as a cooking wine, then sampled every day
or two) the 2005 Hureau Saumur blanc is a good value if not an
exciting wine. Ripe apple fruit, a light waxy note, good acidity. The
amazing thing about Chenin (well, one of the amazing things) is how
well it holds. On day 4 it's as lively as day 1. A little oxidative
note on day 6, but still drinkable. B

I was grilling some andouille and squash, along with some leftover
asparagus,and decided to open the 1995 Graillot Crozes-Hermitage,
thinking the pepper spiciness of the Syrah would go well. Two problems
emerged- the wine seemed somewhat flat and pepperless, and the sausage
was quite hot/spicy. I rebottled most of the Rhone in a 375 screwcap,
and opened the 2005 Carl Loewen "Leiwener Klostergarten" Riesling
Kabinett. Citrus and flowers on the nose, a nice blend of ripe mango
and zippy lime on palate. Some mineral/slate on finish, excellent
length for level, very satisfying wine. B+
Will revisit the Graillot over weekend. I put most of what didn't fit
in half in vinegar crock, but a little left in glass seemed to gain
interest. We'll see.

With an assortment of leftovers, the 2004 Lafarge "L'Exception"
Bourgogne Passetoutgrain. This was a bit of a shock when poured-
easily the darkest PTG I've ever seen. Once tasted, I think I can
safely say its the densest biggest PTG I've ever tasted. Rich black
cherry fruit, balanced acidtiy, ripe tannins. Once I get over my
surprise I quite enjoy, and enjoy it over a 5 hour period. At end
still lively, though tannins have eased. If this is the 2004, what is
the 2005 like? B+/A-

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 25, 11:39�am, DaleW > wrote:
> Over 6 days (orginally used as a cooking wine, then sampled every day
> or two) the 2005 Hureau Saumur blanc is a good value if not an
> exciting wine. Ripe apple fruit, a light waxy note, good acidity. The
> amazing thing about Chenin (well, one of the amazing things) is how
> well it holds. On day 4 it's as lively as day 1. A little oxidative
> note on day 6, but still drinkable. B
>
> I was grilling some andouille and squash, along with some leftover
> asparagus,and decided to open the 1995 Graillot Crozes-Hermitage,
> thinking the pepper spiciness of the Syrah would go well. Two problems
> emerged- the wine seemed somewhat flat and pepperless, and the sausage
> was quite hot/spicy. I rebottled most of the Rhone in a 375 screwcap,
> and opened the �2005 Carl Loewen "Leiwener Klostergarten" Riesling
> Kabinett. Citrus and flowers on the nose, a nice blend of ripe mango
> and zippy lime on palate. Some mineral/slate on finish, excellent
> length for level, very satisfying wine. B+
> Will revisit the Graillot over weekend. I put most of what didn't fit
> in half in vinegar crock, but a little left in glass seemed to gain
> interest. We'll see.
>
> With an assortment of leftovers, the 2004 Lafarge "L'Exception"
> Bourgogne Passetoutgrain. This was a bit of a shock when poured-
> easily the darkest PTG I've ever seen. Once tasted, I think I can
> safely say its the densest biggest PTG I've ever tasted. Rich black
> cherry fruit, balanced acidtiy, ripe tannins. Once I get over my
> surprise I quite enjoy, and enjoy it over a 5 hour period. At end
> still lively, though tannins have eased. If this is the 2004, what is
> the 2005 like? B+/A-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I retried the Graillot on Friday, from a filled to brim 375 that had
been refrigerated. A little more N. Rhone typicity, a bit of spice and
dark berry fruit. Mature tannins. But it still seemed a bit flat to
me. By Saturday totally oxidized (left on counter). I have one more
left, hope it shows better. Don't know if past it or poor storage.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> I retried the Graillot on Friday, from a filled to brim 375 that had
> been refrigerated. A little more N. Rhone typicity, a bit of spice and
> dark berry fruit. Mature tannins. But it still seemed a bit flat to
> me. By Saturday totally oxidized (left on counter).

Was this leftover wine that was rebottled in a 375? How long was it
rebottled and in the fridge?

When you left it on the counter, how full was it and was it stoppered up?

Jose
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 27, 12:11�pm, Jose > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > I retried the Graillot on Friday, from a filled to brim 375 that had
> > been refrigerated. A little more N. Rhone typicity, a bit of spice and
> > dark berry fruit. Mature tannins. But it still seemed a bit flat to
> > me. By Saturday totally oxidized (left on counter).

> Was this leftover wine that was rebottled in a 375? �How long was it
> rebottled and in the fridge?
>
> When you left it on the counter, how full was it and was it stoppered up?
>
> Jose
> --
> Money: �what you need when you run out of brains.
> for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Yes, I opened Wed, put into a 375. I like using 375s with screwcaps,
as one can fill leaving little or no headroom (hard to estimate with a
cork). On Fri took it out, let temp come up for an hour or two before
tasting. Then a bottle about 2/3s full (with cap on) sat at room temp
for a little less than 24 hours.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
[re the Graillot filled to brim 375 that had been refrigerated]
> Yes, I opened Wed, put into a 375. I like using 375s with screwcaps,
> as one can fill leaving little or no headroom (hard to estimate with a
> cork). On Fri took it out, let temp come up for an hour or two before
> tasting. Then a bottle about 2/3s full (with cap on) sat at room temp
> for a little less than 24 hours.

Interesting. I wonder how long those screwcaps last being screwed and
unscrewed before they lose their seal. I had a PN the other day that
seems to have lost a bit (it was rebottled in a 185 under cork) over a
week, but then I got to try a new bottle and it was also a bit
disappointing. So maybe my mood was a bit better when I opened the
original bottle.

Jose