Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Big tasting in Tribeca (Loire, Beaujolais, etc(

I braved traffic to attend the "Real Wine Attack" a tasting of Louis-
Dressner wines sponsored by Chambers Street Wines. Held at a
restaurant (Cercle Rouge) in Tribeca to relieve last year's crowding.
However, I arrived to find a line outside. It moved quickly, and I
found myself inside. It was really crowded, though I thought the crowd
was mostly polite and good-spirited. With the crush of people and the
huge numbers of wines, I set up a criteria for what I should taste:
1) producers I like or have heard good things about
2) try to stick to wines I've not tasted nor own
3) try to stick to things I can afford (actually, I only skipped a
Cote-Rotie based on this, most wines were under $20, and almost all
under $50)
4) go for the gaps in crowds.

Here are my impressions of some wines (I actually tried to do whites
then reds, but this is order they are in program, I can't remember
order I tasted!). I only tasted maybe a third of wines.

NV Renardat-Fache Bugey Cerdon
Actually last wine I tasted. Fun and fiesty, like previous batches

2007 Pepiere Muscadet
a bit leaner than '05/'06, but nice

2006 Pepiere “Cuvee Eden” Muscadet
Soft and cuddly, nice chalk, good length. I buy

2005 Pepiere "Granite de Clisson" Muscadet
OK, so I own this one. Big a bit closed, I'm holding mine

2006 Closel "La Jalousie" Savennieres
Good, open, giving.

2005 Closel "Clos Papillon" Savennieres
Much bigger, probably better than the Jalousie in long run, but less
giving now

NV Pinon Brut
Nice batch, apple pie with bubbles. I buy

2007 Pinon "Silex Noir" Vouvray
New wine to me, very tasty. Mineral, peaches and mango, good length

2002 Pinon "Tradition" Vouvray
I liked this when it ws young, wouldn't have thought of cellaring.
This is very tasty, chalk meets quince and apple.

(there was also a '89 Pinon sticky, but I thought it might screw up my
palate even more than it already was, and unfortunately never made it
back)

2006 Manciat "Franclieu" Macon-Charnay
Nice, crisp, clean,

2006 Manciat "Franclieu" Macon-Charnay Vieilles Vignes
A little oak, bolder, sassy, I like. Woman next to me says "too
sweet." I'm guessing she means the oak profile, but I find it
restrained, and will keep eye out for its arrival

2007 Vins Contes/Lemasson Sois Mignon
One of my few so-so marks, no notes

2007 Vins Contes/Lemasson Le Puits
This I liked a bit better, crisp and sharp (I think this was SB?)

2007 Filliatreau "Printemps" Saumur-Champigny
Light and pretty, tasty and easy if not complex

2006 Filliatreau "La Grande Vignolle" Saumur-Champigny
Just as pretty, but not as light(weight). A nice boldly flavored Cab
Franc. Maybe a step behind the '05 Grand Vignolle, but still very
tasty. I buy

2005 Filliatreau 2005 Saumur Champigny Vieilles Vignes
Tobacco, smoke, and red fruit. This could do well as a ringer in a
Right Bank tasting. I like a lot.I buy

2007 Brun (Terres Dorees) Beaujolais Blanc
As always, fresh and clean Chardonnay. Nice chalky finish

2007 Brun (Terres Dorees) FRV 100
A fun and frothy rose, in the Bugey Cerdon tradition. No thinking,
just smiling. I buy

2006 Tete (Clos du Fief) Julienas
Delicious, straightforward, yet with complexity and elegance. I buy

2006 Tete (Clos du Fief) "Cuvee Prestige" Julienas
Folks around me were raving, but I preferred the regular.

2006 Desvignes "Cote de Py" Morgon
Tannic but good

2006 Desvignes " Javernieres" Morgon
Softer and less tannic, good length.

2005 Texier Macon-Bussieres
Truly zippy acidity, big for Macon, clean

2005 Texier Saint-Gervais Cotes du Rhone
This could pass for CdP, but I find the red fruit jamminess too
intense. It does have a good acidic backbone, but not my flavor
profile

2005 Texier Brezeme Cotes du Rhone
Good but not overwhelming acidity, red and black fruit, leather. I buy

2003 Radikon "Oslavje" Friuli Venezia
Never understood the fuss over Radikon, this doesn't sway me. Nutty
and oxidized. Interesting, but not a buy.

2003 Radikon Ribolla Gialla
OK, I take it back. I understand the fuss. This is cool. Sure, a
little funky, but with rich fruit and great length. I buy.
.*
2003 Radikon "Jakot"
Pourer explains to me that name is "Tokaj" backwards- their reaction
to EU rules. I like this as much as the Ribolla, good wine. I take
back everything I said. Radikon rules.

Despite the crowds, an informative event. I skipped some faves like
Baudry and Breton because I had bought or tried most of the wines, and
couldn't penetrate the crowds at a few others like Descombes, CRB,
etc. But certainly worthwhile.