Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: South of France on a pretty NY night

Last night Fred hosted our little Dobbs Ferry tasting group. A couple
members couldn't make it, but we added a couple of guests. A late May
day in mid-April, we sat on deck and enjoyed cheeses, salami, roasted
tomatoes with tapenade, liver mousse, tabouli, etc. Theme was
Languedoc and Provence. Reds were served blind.

We had a warmup white as folks were arriving, the 2005 Gauby "Les
Calcinaires" (VdP Cotes Catalanes). This is a blend with Muscat and
Chardonnay, but if Fred hadn't told me don't think I would have
guessed that- with the info, I did get some grapey/floral notes. Most
peach and citrus fruit. Overall it showed good acidity for these
varieties in the South, pleasant enough wine but I wouldn't search for
it. B-

First wine (no guess as I brought) Nicely structured for a $12 wine, a
bit of herb and oak over a dark berry fruit base. A tad anonymous.
2004 Mas de Guiot Cabernet/Syrah (Costieres de Nimes) B/B-

I got big whiff of leather and damp animal, once I decided it wasn't
brett I immediately went to Mouvedre and guessed Bandol. Fred said I
wWas right, I smugly decided to rest on my laurels and to limit
guesses for rest of evening. Good dark fruit, earth and herbs, tannic
but smooth, good length, very nice wine. 2001 Tempier Bandol. A-

Next up was a lighter bodied wine, sweet red fruit, decent acidity,
just a hint of vanilla. Could pass for a Cotes du Rhone. Easy to
drink, I like.
2004 Domaine d'Aupilhac Montpeyroux B/B+

I had actually brought two bottles, so next one wasn't blind for me.
The 2004 Ch. Guiot " Cuvee Alex" (Costieres de Nimes) is bigger than
its brother. Big internationally styled wine, loads of big blackberry
fruit. Modern, but with a brambly/underbrush edge that gives it some
regional character. B/B+

Everyone else seemed to like the next bottle, but I got a funny
chemical off-taste at first. Seemed to blow off. Lighter red fruit,
tannins aren't immense but a little hard-edged, ok. 2005 Puig Parahy
"Georges" (Cotes du Roussillon). B-/C+

Nothing offensive about the next bottle, but a rather simple lighter
bodied red. Once it's revealed I think I like their rosé better. 2005
Domaine Houchart Côtes de Provence. B-

The Tempier was easily wine of night for me, but best part was hanging
with friends on a gorgeous night.

*

TN: US, Germany, South Africa, France DaleW Wine 0 16-08-2016 06:24 PM
South of France Bill S. Wine 0 23-05-2011 05:53 PM
WTN: 8 wines from the south of France DaleW Wine 0 18-12-2010 06:49 PM
Faking the South of France Bob Terwilliger General Cooking 24 02-10-2006 04:02 PM
South of France Wine Areas dick Wine 33 27-02-2004 09:41 PM